Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127170 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2010, 06:05:54 pm »

.08 crashed when I used the look command and tried to move the cursor over a refuse stockpile.

Try with a fresh download or something......

assaultdoor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2010, 06:22:16 pm »

Hey, if one of you can destroy a workshop or throw something, we can get a real-life tantrum spiral going here. Soon the forums will look like Boatmurdered, but without the elephants.

On a more useful note, I'm playing with a PPC Mac and my colors are normal.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2010, 06:29:53 pm »

Screw that, I don't wanna get hammered.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2010, 06:46:57 pm »

.08 crashed when I used the look command and tried to move the cursor over a refuse stockpile.

Try with a fresh download or something......

I modded dogs to have shells and apparently doing that after world gen is a bad idea so maybe that's the cause.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

Idk if this is a bug or not but often I have dwarves sleeping in other dwarves houses that barley know each other and there is plenty of other free beds and ones that aren't even designated to be rooms available.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2010, 07:11:17 pm »

Idk if this is a bug or not but often I have dwarves sleeping in other dwarves houses that barley know each other and there is plenty of other free beds and ones that aren't even designated to be rooms available.

It's a known bug, yes.  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=34

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »

Until then I will just stick to other games or perhaps (gasp!) go outside.

If some bug is a game killer than just relax and wait until it gets fixed.  I'm sure you can find something else to occupy your time until then especially if Toady keeps up at the pace he is with knocking out one thing after another.
Jesus Christ, man, why are you acting so self-righteous? You're on the internet arguing about a game called Dwarf Fortress. Sure, so am I, but at least I'm not acting like I'm the only one that plays sports or knows what the sky looks like.

Lol, this is kind of funny. I was just saying that a lot of people are complaining about this or that bug when, if it is that big of a deal then just step away for a week or whatever.  Toady can take his time and work however he cares to work, I was just stating that marksdwarfs being broken has put a damper on my current situation in my primary fortress so I'm taking a short vacation until it's fixed.

Also, I'm actually not likely to spend any more time outside.  That was a joke, I'm in the middle of a fairly boring college city in the middle of summer.  There's more interesting things to watch crawling around in my bathroom than anything outside at this time of year  :P

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

Maybe I'm wrong and it's always been this way and I just noticed, but:

Human traders seem to be respecting the forbidden status of my front door. I thought they just walked through. They jammed up on the edge of the map with no error message for over a month before I wondered why they weren't at my depo yet.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2010, 07:56:35 pm »

Its probably always been this way. Its just that since there aren't any wagons (for now), we don't have to worry about making three tile wide pathways which the pack animals are just going to go through it anyway.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2010, 07:59:30 pm »

Could have sworn they were walking through the forbidden door in .06 though. It'd change the door message from "Forbidden" to "USED BY INTRUDER"
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2010, 08:48:22 pm »

The weirdest thing to consider is how the game should treat creatures made out of gaseous (or similar) substances, like steam or fire. How exactly DO you fight something like that? Fan away the material until it gets disassociated enough to waft away?
Well if you're a dwarf, you take a swig of plump helmet wine, grab your fungiwood training axe, pull your kitten leather helm firmly onto your head and GO KILL THE FUCK OUT OF IT.

It doesn't need to make sense.

Yes, it does need to make sense, because that's what Dwarf Fortress goes for. It goes for making sense. It's a very simulationist game by design, and "how exactly would you fight a creature made of fire?" is exactly the kind of weird questions that not only occur, but that Toady acknowledges as something needing an answer.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »

Downloaded .08 and world gen took something like an hour, on a quad core with 8GB of memory.
It was a large region gen.

No further details now, going out to the movies, but will see what's up when I return.
What's the Ghz per core? DF only uses one core for the game, and another for graphics (which uses very little memory anyway).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »

It also matters whether he was using the SDL or legacy versions, and in the case of SDL, which graphics options he chose. Also, what his world generation parameters are.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »

Are we still on for that tantrum spiral?   Because I just trashed my workshop and kicked the cat.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2010, 10:15:33 pm »

EDIT: I have the same gripe against "poisonous vapours". There's absolutelly no way to protect oneself against these. Anyone you send against a creature with poisonous vapours is as good as dead, and there's absolutelly no tools to handle it. This is what I call a bug... or a horrible, horrible design decision.

No, there no way you can protect yourself from deadly vapors. Air tightness wasn't very common for c1400 europe. I also don't see this as an any more of an obstacle then other unkillable FB. Similar in game tools would still need to be applied. Be it so when the trap is sprung there as little #s dorf in the trap room.

Let me get this straight--- in a game where ALL DOORS are water tight, where constructed walls of rough raw stone are WATER TIGHT, my dwarves can't handle AIR? No bellows, no seals, etc etc.

It's just inconsistant.

Just the computer savant in me pointing out a basic logical flaw. I know Toady will make adjustments and give us ways to handle such things eventually, and I'm personally not worried about it. I deal with the FUN so I can have lots of fun. It's a great game and I look forward to its evolution.

learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sigged!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:32:36 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37