Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 125908 times)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Once dwarves have to buy their food, they tend to avoid ones that are valuable. Are they starving themselves before eating them?

I'm still with only a mayor, so it's all communistic and nobody has to pay for anything. I just got a "hunting for vermin" from a dwarf who's only about 20 steps away from a stockpile full of prepared meals. And there have been a lot of "cancels Give Food: No food available"

Sounds like you have a warren issue or your food got marked forbidden somehow.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2010, 11:17:16 pm »

Once dwarves have to buy their food, they tend to avoid ones that are valuable. Are they starving themselves before eating them?

I'm still with only a mayor, so it's all communistic and nobody has to pay for anything. I just got a "hunting for vermin" from a dwarf who's only about 20 steps away from a stockpile full of prepared meals. And there have been a lot of "cancels Give Food: No food available"

Sounds like you have a warren issue or your food got marked forbidden somehow.
Is Economy on? Maybe he can't pay for food. Though I never have Economy on so I don't know.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2010, 11:43:12 pm »

Downloaded .08 and world gen took something like an hour, on a quad core with 8GB of memory.
It was a large region gen.

No further details now, going out to the movies, but will see what's up when I return.
What's the Ghz per core? DF only uses one core for the game, and another for graphics (which uses very little memory anyway).
2.8 GHz per core, it was taking 25-50% of one core while I was looking at it.  Which indicates a likely problem with blocking on some kind of non-CPU activity, since a program like DF should usually take either close to 100% or nothing, especially in a compute-intensive phase like world gen.  In particular, it was running through the history events.

It also matters whether he was using the SDL or legacy versions, and in the case of SDL, which graphics options he chose. Also, what his world generation parameters are.

SDL with graphics on, 2D.  None of that has made any measurable difference on this computer.  However, the issue is during world gen which has next to no screen output, so I would be extremely surprised if it mattered.  World gen settings were the standard "large region".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2010, 11:53:40 pm »

I don't think it's unusual for it to take an hour to generate a large world.  How long does a standard Medium Island take?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2010, 12:09:42 am »

Downloaded .08 and world gen took something like an hour, on a quad core with 8GB of memory.

No further details now, going out to the movies, but will see what's up when I return.
What's the Ghz per core? DF only uses one core for the game, and another for graphics (which uses very little memory anyway).
2.8 GHz per core, it was taking 25-50% of one core while I was looking at it.  Which indicates a likely problem with blocking on some kind of non-CPU activity, since a program like DF should usually take either close to 100% or nothing, especially in a compute-intensive phase like world gen.  In particular, it was running through the history events.

There's a good chance that 25% you're seeing is not a per-core estimate.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:56 am »

There's a good chance that 25% you're seeing is not a per-core estimate.
I'm looking in a tool that reports on a per core basis, including real-time which core a program is running on.   8)

I don't think it's unusual for it to take an hour to generate a large world.  How long does a standard Medium Island take?
About 5 minutes.  I guess the large one isn't really needed anyway, just tried it to see how long it takes.   ;)  As long as the answer isn't "OMG that's 10x longer than it used to be for that option" not sure it's worth the trouble to look into.  Yet...

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2010, 12:56:34 am »

I had the same issue generating a large world, default parameters. After 30 minutes of history only advanced 150 years, I gave up and generated a medium world in ~10 minutes. P8400 @ 2.26ghz.

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2010, 01:11:23 am »

I don't think this is correct.  I have two cores and DF always just maximizes one core and never uses the other.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2010, 01:18:08 am »

OK, so the "cooking with liquids" issues are fixed, right?
Well, somehow I ended up with strawberry wine on the floor of my food stockpile.
A hungry/thirsty dwarf went to drink it, and now he's stuck in some sort of endless loop with strawberry wine in his inventory, but not able to eat/drink it.
I managed to make the wine on the floor go away by forbidding it, but it's still in his inventory.
He's constantly spamming "...cancels eat food item... lost or destroyed".
How do I break him out of this loop and make the wine go away?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:31:27 am by culwin »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2010, 02:02:37 am »

Forbidding it in his inventory should do the trick. Else mark it for dumping and somebody will hopefully come and wrestle it away from him.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:57 am »

Forbidding it in his inventory should do the trick. Else mark it for dumping and somebody will hopefully come and wrestle it away from him.

Forbidding it didn't help - it just becomes unforbidden, and mysteriously leaves a mark of strawberry wine on the floor.
Dumping didn't seem to do anything at all.
But maybe I didn't give it enough time.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2010, 03:40:45 am »

Order him into a one-square burrow and wall him in. You'd be doing him a kindness, really.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2010, 03:44:38 am »

learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Try telling that to a mayor who ended up with Legendary Consoler skill after stopping numerous tantrum spirals from art defacement before they happened.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Talgor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2010, 03:48:09 am »

maybe related to the fix stopping them using liquids as a base?
Yup.. seems all my 'Made from Beer only' prepared meals are also lying untouched, while my 'Kitten Chow' meals are being consumed at a normal dwarfly pace. Time to do some trading!

Told cooks to avoid using alcohol, now producing new meals which are being eaten quite happily. Hooray. :)
He who despises himself nevertheless esteems himself as a self-despiser.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2010, 04:38:15 am »

Order him into a one-square burrow and wall him in. You'd be doing him a kindness, really.

But does he owe him a kindness?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37