Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127162 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2010, 04:57:29 pm »

Small clarification on what I said earlier.
Good idea: some creatures to be immune to some attacks.
Bad idea: for severe bugs to crop up that happen to make creatures invincible for no good reason.
Deon's bad idea: in Genesis mod, some dwarf castes have firebreath, some shoot webs, some spray paralyzing toxin.
You could just remove those.
And The Fire breath and all seems like a good idea to me. Though it seems more of a Mutated Dwarf. It is fun to set your enemy on fire!

Also, I do not think you can add special tags like [HEAT] or [COLD] as damage. In .40d, I had rune-crafted Fire arrows that would set things on fire! It was fun shooting at the time.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2010, 05:31:25 pm »

My two miners decided to work until they died of thirst. I got a lot of spam from people trying to bring them water, but not having a bucket. Not sure why they didn't just go outside to the wagon to get some beer. This was right after I embarked by the way.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2010, 05:46:57 pm »

Deon's bad idea: in Genesis mod, some dwarf castes have firebreath, some shoot webs, some spray paralyzing toxin.
You could just remove those. And The Fire breath and all seems like a good idea to me. Though it seems more of a Mutated Dwarf. It is fun to set your enemy on fire!
Of course I removed the special attacks. A toxin-sprayer dwarf killed 90% of my war dogs in a big melee.

It is too much fun when the countryside burns and burns because a dwarf summoned a flame spirit at a duck. I like having lizardmen and beastmen (wood and leather gear only, back in 40d) for trade and sieges, but not magical-attack dwarves.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:07 pm »

Had a bizarre pathing error. A guy absolutely covered in gore would constantly run over to a certain tile on a bar/block stockpile, throw "cancels clean self: area inaccessible" and sprint back to the meeting hall, over and over and over again. I'd say "wash, rinse, repeat" except there wasn't any washing going on  ;)

Fixed by making a burrow on top of the designated water source and assigning him to it. He was squeaky clean within seconds. Since he pathed straight there, dunno what the problem was...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2010, 08:42:53 pm »

abadidea: Bugged soap.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2010, 08:57:25 pm »

Ahhhhh. I put all the effort into making a few bars of soap because some poor guy had been on the operating table for literally years. He's walking again so I guess it worked.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:55 am »

Hi!

Ahhhhh. I put all the effort into making a few bars of soap because some poor guy had been on the operating table for literally years. He's walking again so I guess it worked.

I haven't checked this in 31.08 but that bug had actually a good workaround/limitation in 31.03 (I think) which probably still holds true: Bars of soap which have been claimed by the hospital will not trigger this error message as they are taboo. So, you can produce a few bars of soap without any problems, but once you have too many for the hospital to claim, you need to sell the excess bars.

Note, however, that when the bar is used to clean a patient, the remaining bar becomes a free object again and may cause an error message before the hospital has time to say "Hey! That's mine!" - but that should be just a singular incident.

Deathworks

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2010, 07:16:57 am »

{forbid}ding the bars of soap works just fine.  If the dirty dwarf can't legitimately grab any soap, he'll head off to a water source.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2010, 09:55:33 am »

Heh, I guess the SDL version just isn't meant to be for me.  No matter what I do, I can't get past 1 fps.  Already did drivers and anything else I could think of =|

The title screen and menus are fine, its just when the game is actually running and unpaused D=

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2010, 10:03:03 am »

Heh, I guess the SDL version just isn't meant to be for me.  No matter what I do, I can't get past 1 fps.  Already did drivers and anything else I could think of =|

The title screen and menus are fine, its just when the game is actually running and unpaused D=

Did you try changing the PRINT_MODE in init?

yongke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »

How do you satisfy "Body Parts"?  I slaughter a lot of animals with all type of parts in a pile, but the dwarf still go mad without getting them.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »

He was looking for shells, a relic from 40d when it was much easier to get shells.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

How do you satisfy "Body Parts"?  I slaughter a lot of animals with all type of parts in a pile, but the dwarf still go mad without getting them.
He was looking for shells, a relic from 40d when it was much easier to get shells.

Yeah, it's this bug.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:38 pm »

This indicates that it is not a problem with the SDL version.  You likely have a a creature stuck in a pathing loop, hidden waterfalls, etc eating up speed.  It is also possible that you have too large of a world or embark area for your computers memory.  Check the errorlog.txt for pathing errors, using a utility to reveal the map might be helpful in diagnosing hidden problems, and lack of memory can be quickly diagnosed by watching your hard drive activity.

You should check your jobs list for levers on repeat pull.  Even when the lever isn't hooked to anything it will cause a small slowdown.
Carving ramps and opening/closing floodgates/bridges cause significant slowdowns as they cause the connection map to be rebuilt.

If there is no obvious cause for the problem then you should probably post the save so it can be examined.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2010, 04:51:24 pm »

Shells are bugged? :o
I could have sworn I saw a Mussel Shell around here somewhere.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37