Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127173 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »

I'm trying to play on linux mint but every time I run it nothing happens. If I run in the terminal I get "./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I checked, I have a package called libncursesw5 installed.

Do you have
[PRINT_MODE:2D]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]

in your init.txt? sounds like it's trying to run it in TEXT mode (though why it would fail is a mystery in itself)
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:09 pm »

I'm trying to play on linux mint but every time I run it nothing happens. If I run in the terminal I get "./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I checked, I have a package called libncursesw5 installed.

If you are on an amd64 ("64 bit") platform, you should realize that the Linux version of Dwarf Fortress is an i386 ("32 bit") executable, and as such, it needs i386 versions of the shared libraries.  So, find and install the i386 version of libncursesw.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »

If you are on an amd64 ("64 bit") platform, you should realize that the Linux version of Dwarf Fortress is an i386 ("32 bit") executable, and as such, it needs i386 versions of the shared libraries.  So, find and install the i386 version of libncursesw.

That did it. Had to download libncursesw5 from the debian website, and extract two of the files (libncursesw.so.5 and libncursesw.so.5.7) into the libs folder of df. You should perhaps include these for 64bit linux users, it'd only be 488kb.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2010, 09:46:49 pm »

Removing my barracks caused my soldiers to disable all their civilian skills, even stuff like recover wounded O.o
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:28 pm »

Thank you Tarn and Zach,

Your work brings happiness and laughter like only the best video games can. Dwarven happiness!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:44 am »

That did it. Had to download libncursesw5 from the debian website, and extract two of the files (libncursesw.so.5 and libncursesw.so.5.7) into the libs folder of df. You should perhaps include these for 64bit linux users, it'd only be 488kb.
You can't generally mix interface libraries like that. In this particular case, there are (at least) two different ways to set up the terminal database, and your version of ncurses has to match the method used by your distribution; not all distributions do it the same way. In your case, you were lucky enough to get a working library, but it's not really something we can risk.

What I do intend to do is to make the libncursesw dependency optional. It shouldn't be required if you don't actually use text mode.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:15 am »

It does make sense for things dropped into magma to not burn.  Oxygen is required for combustion, and while an item is immersed in anything denser than air it will not be available for combustion.  Whether Toady did that intentionally or by happy mistake it is still good.

The above may be strictly true, but not entirely helpful.  There are several different sorts of heat-driven reactions; not all of them are technically "burning", but when someone speaking casually talks about things "burning in magma", they're probably intending to refer to a broader class of thermal damage than just rapid oxidation.  However, it misses some of the real problem. 

Magma in DF has a set temperature of 12,000 degrees Urist, which is 2,032 degrees F or a hair over 1,111 degrees C.  This is somewhat problematic, as on Earth, (comparatively) near-surface magma commonly ranges from about 700 to 1,300 C, with outliers down to 600 C and up to 1,600 C; and of course it can gradually cool down to rock.  (The highest end of the range is no longer found on Earth; very hot and fluid ultramafics such as komatiite were much more common early in Earth's history however.) 

DF has an approximation of a heat transfer model to speed calculation, which seems to simplify exposed temperatures based on a rough concept of distance.  On Earth, a comparatively small object that remains in close proximity to a comparatively large hot mass will increase in temperature gradually, but eventually come fairly close to the temperature of the large mass; in DF, this would introduce "temperature flow" and kill framerate, so is not modeled. 

I've found several different references to the thermal decomposition and/or burning of bone, and they generally agree that much higher temperatures are required to reliably do so.  It's generally agreed that crematoria do NOT burn bone; despite common misconception, the "ashes" you get are the bones, put through a mechanical grinder.  Various countries have different traditions, but a legal minimum of 850 C (to decompose various gasses) shows up in various places; Wikipedia describes the common range as 760 C to 1,150 C, with typical times of one to over three hours.  At least one forensic site describes temperatures of 1,100 to 1,500 C as insufficient to reliably destroy bone.  The main refractory component of bone is calcium phospate, specifically hydroxylapatite, which is about 50% of the bone mass in life; ground hydroxylapatite is described as having a melting point of 1,670 C.  Calcite, a generally related calcium carbonate, has a DF melting temperature of 1,613 C, which is generally compatible with various other references (different forms have higher or lower melting points). 

In common situations, much of the damage to bone from fire is from the steam explosion of the "goopy bits", which tend to at least crack it if not shatter it into fragments.  A recently-dead body thrown into a hot fire or exposed to DF magma temperatures should not remain intact, but should not evaporate either.  A "cured" or aged skeleton, either due to the deliberate act of morticians or necromancers, or the passage of time and elements, will have far fewer problems of this sort, and if particularly dry (long storage in a dry mausoleum or pyramid) may not take any significant damage to the remains from heat of this level. 

tl;dr: Live bone is made up of about half magma-safe materials, but due to steam damage a fresh body exposed to magma should leave only chunks of bone.  Well cured skeletons on the other hand should actually be more reliably DF magma-safe than many materials routinely used in DF to contain magma, such as iron (melting point only 1,538 C).

The results one expects from exposing undead to magma temperatures therefore strongly depends on the magic used to make them undead, which is not yet modeled in any detail as of the current release.  I will point out that the telekinesis-like effect is strong enough to not only hold together the bones of a skeletal elephant (or whale) in the absence of all of the connecting tissue that would normally do the job, but to do so under combat conditions; it is also capable of propelling skeletal eagles through the sky in the complete absence of any physical (non-magical) lift system. 

My personal take is that there should probably eventually be several types or "strengths" of necromantic animating force. 

At the first level, zombies are still mostly functioning as they were in life, with some other process replacing a few traditional life processes (mainly circulation and energy production).  This would cover the simplest of necromantic magic, as well as "zombies" that are actually created by fantastic bacterial infections, mold spores, or whatever.  They would generally no longer take bleeding damage, but ordinary physical and thermal damage would work pretty well.  Burning one would leave inert bone chunks little different from that of a non-animated body. 

At the second level, zombies are held together with some force beyond their rotting remains, but the bulk structure of the corpse is still relevant.  There might be rare physical explanations for this (the most exotic of colony organisms), but generally this would be the next major advancement of necromantic magic.  Gross physical damage will reduce capabilities, but may not be sufficient to "kill" it, which may require a special focus location to be destroyed (the brain, the heart, etc.); at the high end, merely severed parts may simply become new creatures (hand-spiders, leg-hoppers, etc.).  Surface burning may not be very effective anymore, but chopping combined with burning or magma immersion should leave inert bone chunks.  This level may also encompass mummies, where supplemental structural material has been added; the question then becomes what are the weakness of the added reinforcement (fire is obvious for traditional linen-wrapped mummies... but how do you get rid of a legendary mummy wrapped in adamantine cloth? :)

At the third level, the necromantic force is much stronger and no longer requires the shell of flesh; the magic is stronger than flesh, sinews, cartilage, and so on by now.  While most commonly encountered as skeletons, it may be possible to produce this sort of creature while flesh remains, leading to what appears to be a zombie but is really closer to a skeleton with ablative flesh armor.  Depending on the sort of magic involved, they may have a mystically-significant "critical location", or may require total dismemberment to put down.  If a recent corpse or properly treated, magma immersion may cause enough physical damage to produce sufficient dismemberment; a well cured skeleton may well be impeded by magma (it's heavy and thick), but possibly not stopped. 

At the fourth level, the necromantic force is more powerful yet, and capable of reanimating from bone chips or possibly even dust.  This may result from ever more powerful animation spells, or because the undead is actually something closer to a ghost with the ability to animate its own remains.  Magma will not help you here, nor will traps nor axes, unless the magic has an explicit weak point flaw of some sort you can attack.  You would need the ability to attack the real structure of the creature / construct, which by this level is fundamentally a structure of magic and/or spirit.  Presumably later magic arcs will develop this; it is possible (hopefully likely) that special materials (e.g. orichalcum, commonly thought of as a gold-copper alloy, has such properties in some mythologies) or treatment (e.g. rune-crafting as an added decoration / encrustation type) will allow interacting with the normally-intangible. 

Heat and cold damages not affecting/killing undead ceatures is still a bug that should be corrected.

This is strongly a matter of choice of mythology and to a lesser degree opinion; in general I disagree.  The primary effects of heat and cold to living organisms made mostly of meat are irrelevant to all but the weakest of zombies, as those processes have already been replaced with whatever the necromantic animating force is.  Gross physical effects such as freezing in a block of ice or encasing in magma should be dangerous to all but the more powerful undead, but just because a dwarf is 90% water and tends to freeze on a glacier or melt near magma doesn't mean a skeleton should be slowed down at all.  (I will point out in passing that in reality there are several mammoths and even a few humans that have been discovered after being frozen in glaciers for thousands of years, in good enough condition that they could easily be zombies.)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2010, 11:14:48 am »

Miuramir, all I can say is wow.  I hope Toady copies your post into a text file someplace and uses it for reference later.  Great stuff.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:35 pm »

That is .... magnificent! . Like i always  said the DF has got one of the best communities i have encountered so far. I very happily stand corrected, it looks like  skeletons/zombies don't have to be necessarily destroyed by magma. Truly a great read. Btw what's your profession Miuramir? Forensics?
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2010, 12:29:40 pm »

Miuramir you dont have experience with zombys eh?

The "special Materials" thing against undead creatures (adamntine, orchalcum, salt, silver, Aspen-wood) is not so far away with the poison framework. Actually it would need only a new creature class (or better yet a list of modable classes) like GENERAL_UNDEAD for undead beings and a syndrome function (or multiple seperate syndrom function for different creature classes) on these basic materials.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:31:35 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »

I will chime in to say that I liked the process of certain levels of animated undead, eventually culminating into what amounts more to a magically animate force, rather than a physical being relying on physical processes as the weakness "undead" would do.

There might even be a sort of nomenclature that you can create, based on popular fantasy creatures, to define each level of process. For instance you initially have zombies (physically animate, through minor magical or fantastical physical means, but physical body), then ghouls (magically animate, to the point that parts animate themselves), skeletons or ghasts (depending on the presence of structurally superficial, but defensively useful flesh), and ghosts.

The idea that you can have mundane alloys to deal with undead, even magically powerful undead, before your fort gets to a point of being magically capable itself, would also be useful. Perhaps at that point the military equipment settings can be extended slightly so that you could, for example, have your dwarves equip both a strong mundane weapon (such as a steel) for dealing with mundane threats, and a magically enchanted or magical-effective weapon (such as gold) for dealing with magical or undead threats. Hopefully you can also rely on crushing weapons to deal with all but the most powerful undead - a skeleton should be destroyed after crushing its bones to dust, though a ghast (with flesh still on its bones) would be somewhat more difficult because the flesh absorb impacts.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2010, 02:37:07 pm »

Hi!

I was wondering, would it be possible/advisable to IMPROVE the resolution settings?
Instead of having just one [x/y] setting I was thinking of having a resolution [x/y] setting and a grid [x/y] setting instead of having one setting doing both. This way, those people who have issues with the automatic sizing could explicitly tell the game what they want.

Deathworks

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2010, 04:19:05 pm »

Um, my ex-militia commander refuses to stop doing his individual combat drill.  I've disbanded his squad, and relieved him of the position of militia commander as well.  Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that he's a legendary axedwarf?

edit: Seems like freeing the bed assigned as the barracks solved the problem.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:32:24 pm by heuristicus »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »

Small clarification on what I said earlier.
Good idea: some creatures to be immune to some attacks.
Bad idea: for severe bugs to crop up that happen to make creatures invincible for no good reason.

I hate the combat-invulnerable FBs too.
Idea: rubber monsters that are immune to blunt and wrestling. Use edged weapons.
Idea: High-flying beasts who can be only hurt with projectile weapons.
Idea: ghostly creatures that take only wrestling damage, spirit to spirit contact.

Bad idea: any wall stops anything of any size.
Bad idea: use a cave-in to breach the aquifer layer safely. That's an exploit.
Bad idea: you must build cave-in areas or magma set-ups to deal with the combat-invulnerable FBs, before your first goblin ambush. Or never open up the caves.
Deon's bad idea: in Genesis mod, some dwarf castes have firebreath, some shoot webs, some spray paralyzing toxin.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »

Jesus save that post and leave the invincible skeletons because that man has just made it logical. I kinda like the idea of unstoppable undead forcing you to take extra measures to contain them--my current fort relys on a drowning trap because combats crap and i wouldent mind creating an expansive mechanical defense system to deal with the undead hordes.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37