Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 125905 times)

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »

The title screen and menus are fine, its just when the game is actually running and unpaused D=
This indicates that it is not a problem with the SDL version.  You likely have a a creature stuck in a pathing loop, hidden waterfalls, etc eating up speed.  It is also possible that you have too large of a world or embark area for your computers memory.  Check the errorlog.txt for pathing errors, using a utility to reveal the map might be helpful in diagnosing hidden problems, and lack of memory can be quickly diagnosed by watching your hard drive activity.

You should check your jobs list for levers on repeat pull.  Even when the lever isn't hooked to anything it will cause a small slowdown.
Carving ramps and opening/closing floodgates/bridges cause significant slowdowns as they cause the connection map to be rebuilt.

If there is no obvious cause for the problem then you should probably post the save so it can be examined.

D=  I'm having these problems on the first install of the lazy man's version.  This is happening right after embark, after I made the initial designations.  There was a massive cave in somewhere in the depths of the mountain, so that might have something to do with it.
I'm leaning more towards the SDL not playing nice with my graphics card since I'm playing on a HP pavilion dv6700 with an integrated nvidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630 graphics card.  The ram is maxed out for a 32 bit system, so I don't think that's the problem =v

I'll check the errorlog.txt to see if there's anything going on, and try embarking someplace else just in case the map is just broken somehow.

I've been playing since the 2D version though, so I'm not a total newbie when it comes to knowing what trapped animals can do to your game =P

Edit:  I created a new world and tried starting up a fortress in a semi-random place.  Seems to be running at a reasonable FPS now.  I would like to thank that cave-in for making me think SDL wasn't for me =v

Thanks for the help y'all.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:09:56 pm by Pacho »

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2010, 11:53:33 pm »

Caveins deep inside the mountain have a tendency to create massive underground waterfalls or magmafalls.  This eats CPU like mad when it happens.  A while back someone posted a visualization of an entire magma sea going over a huge magmafall.

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2010, 02:13:06 am »

Shells are bugged? :o
I could have sworn I saw a Mussel Shell around here somewhere.

They aren't bugged; they're just harder to get.  I usually get clams, turtles, etc. from traders, and then you need to designate an indoor stockpile that just takes remains from them so the shells will be put there and not outside where they decay.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2010, 02:18:53 am »

Got a crash yesterday when assigning a random dwarf to take the military commander's place in his squad.

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2010, 02:44:55 am »

On a more useful note, I'm playing with a PPC Mac and my colors are normal.

I'm on a PPC Mac (iBook G4, 10.3.9) and I can't get 31.08 to run.  What am I missing?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2010, 04:14:15 am »

OS X 10.4 or 10.5, I believe.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2010, 10:01:36 am »

They aren't bugged; they're just harder to get.  I usually get clams, turtles, etc. from traders, and then you need to designate an indoor stockpile that just takes remains from them so the shells will be put there and not outside where they decay.

That doesn't work any more.  In 40d, you got a shell when you consumed an (uncooked) cave lobster or turtle.  The shell was left behind at the table.  In DF2010 (0.31.*) you get a shell when you prepare a freshly caught lobster/turtle.  The shell is left behind in the fishery.  The already-prepared (but not cooked) lobsters/turtles the traders bring you have no shells.

As I understand it, the only way to get shells in DF2010 is to catch your own lobsters/turtles and prepare them in a fishery.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »

That doesn't work any more.  In 40d, you got a shell when you consumed an (uncooked) cave lobster or turtle.  The shell was left behind at the table.  In DF2010 (0.31.*) you get a shell when you prepare a freshly caught lobster/turtle.  The shell is left behind in the fishery.  The already-prepared (but not cooked) lobsters/turtles the traders bring you have no shells.

As I understand it, the only way to get shells in DF2010 is to catch your own lobsters/turtles and prepare them in a fishery.

Nope, not true.  Cooking doesn't leave shells, but fishery prepared turtles and such from the traders still give shells.  However, I know there's some confusion between cave lobster and cave lobster meat with the traders, so those may not work.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »

Nope, not true.  Cooking doesn't leave shells, but fishery prepared turtles and such from the traders still give shells.  However, I know there's some confusion between cave lobster and cave lobster meat with the traders, so those may not work.

Eh?  I agree with greycat.  I haven't seen what you're describing in version 31.x.

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

OS X 10.4 or 10.5, I believe.

Damn, I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the response.

May I humbly suggest to Toady that info to that effect on the download page or in the readme is appropriate?

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2010, 02:40:43 pm »

Eh?  I agree with greycat.  I haven't seen what you're describing in version 31.x.

Hmm, well, I just tried it and I guess you're right; he won't process anything in my food stockpile.  I guess he was catching a few mussels when I wasn't looking.

Designating the stockpile does work; it just has to be from a live-caught shelled creature.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2010, 12:52:29 pm »

Toady, when will you  let people make their own TYPES of settlements for the civs to use?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »

Added the following toys to my world:
dinner bowl, leather and wooden mug/cup, goggles, mini well (mechanics), mini depot (teach architecture to the young), mini catapult.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
gave bowl and cup and goggles to all civs except snakemen.

Edit: oops, this is in the wrong thread, should be in Genesis mod thread.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:39:42 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »

Toady, when will you  let people make their own TYPES of settlements for the civs to use?
Instead of posting an obnoxious comment in a thread that isn't relevant, why don't explain exactly what you mean by 'types of settlement' and even post your ideas as a thread in the suggestions sub forum in a way that is helpful and useful. Saying 'WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE X??11!!' usually pisses of people when they've worked hard over something.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »

Shells are only bugged insofar that it's really, really easy to run yourself out of fishing stock but everyone and their one-year-old seem to think that you can't make an artifact platinum anything without studding stupid shells all over the thing. Brooks have mussels but it seems I've even overfished that O.o

Edit: Moment of awesome! Got an artifact red table and built an altar over the volcano. Put in a red rope and had a kobold prisoner moved to it. The elephants freaked out and killed him directly atop the table. His corpse lays upon it, his blood all around the altar, dripping into the magma...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:58:21 pm by abadidea »
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37