Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 125931 times)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #315 on: June 27, 2010, 05:45:44 pm »

temple to armok :P
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 28, 2010, 06:43:19 am »

Toady, when will you  let people make their own TYPES of settlements for the civs to use?
Instead of posting an obnoxious comment in a thread that isn't relevant, why don't explain exactly what you mean by 'types of settlement' and even post your ideas as a thread in the suggestions sub forum in a way that is helpful and useful. Saying 'WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE X??11!!' usually pisses of people when they've worked hard over something.

I think this might have been a genuine question (if somewhat obscure), not a complaint. You might be reading the wrong intention into it.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 28, 2010, 06:55:40 am »

Toady, when will you  let people make their own TYPES of settlements for the civs to use?
Instead of posting an obnoxious comment in a thread that isn't relevant, why don't explain exactly what you mean by 'types of settlement' and even post your ideas as a thread in the suggestions sub forum in a way that is helpful and useful. Saying 'WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE X??11!!' usually pisses of people when they've worked hard over something.

I think this might have been a genuine question (if somewhat obscure), not a complaint. You might be reading the wrong intention into it.

That's how I read it, too, and I'll spell out what I think he means, if Old-one-eye genuinely didn't understand.  He wants to know if/when we'll be able to set an entity's site preferences in the raws to things other than the hardcoded CAVE_DETAILED, CITY, TREE_CITY, DARK_FORTRESS, and CAVE.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:59 am »

Fuck yes Toady, combat bugs fixing tomorrow.

.09 will kick ass.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 28, 2010, 11:53:59 am »

Not sure if this is where questions about devlog updates are supposed to go, but it seems a viable place.

Quote from: Toady One
The material-based random critters should be killable now

How so? In the same manner as the undead, or via some tweaking of the game? Would be interesting to know how.

I currently have a fort being harassed by a forgotton beast without any limbs remaining, yet no warrior seems good enough to strike a fatal blow. And, being creatures of flesh, they eventually tire and collapse, and are decapitated by the beast 'pushing' them. Would be nice to make it so some of the hundreds of breaks and gashes in it's body kill it.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2010, 12:46:25 pm »

On the technical side:

OpenAL and libncursesw are dynamically loaded in .09, so you will still be able to play without them; it's just that sound or text mode (respectively) will fail to work.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:19 pm »

IS IT UP YET?
IS IT UP YET?
IS IT UP YET?
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »

How so? In the same manner as the undead, or via some tweaking of the game? Would be interesting to know how.

Yeah, I'm curious too.

OpenAL and libncursesw are dynamically loaded in .09, so you will still be able to play without them; it's just that sound or text mode (respectively) will fail to work.

That's cool.  I hope it'll also tell players why their sound or text mode isn't working.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2010, 01:16:25 pm »

It'll print the info to the console.. I was unsure whether or not to pop up a messagebox, what do you think?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 28, 2010, 01:25:12 pm »

Messagebox sounds fine to me.  I wouldn't want it to pop up a messagebox for every little thing, but if it's essentially bypassing their init settings, that probably warrants some aggressive notification.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 28, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »

Yeah, I'm curious too.

I somehow get the feeling it'll just be a sort of kludge like with the undead, since solving it via combat tweaking would result in quite a few other things as well (the dev note was kind of terse about it, only mentioning those particular creatures, and only random ones at that), and also since it seems to have been done rather quickly. But who knows.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2010, 01:58:28 pm »

I somehow get the feeling it'll just be a sort of kludge like with the undead, since solving it via combat tweaking would result in quite a few other things as well (the dev note was kind of terse about it, only mentioning those particular creatures, and only random ones at that), and also since it seems to have been done rather quickly. But who knows.

That's my feeling too -- the "headless material-based creatures" fix may have been as simple as guaranteeing that all random creatures have a crucial body part that isn't part of the body root, and can therefore be amputated.  In practical terms, that just means sticking a head on creatures that didn't have one.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 28, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »

Not sure if this is where questions about devlog updates are supposed to go, but it seems a viable place.

A while back we had for questions the FotF-threads. Sadly toady didnt open a new one - they were helpful in many ways. The one for the 31.x build got though a bit lengthy due to the long dev-cycle.

edit: oh and question should be green so toady can spot them if he skims through the replies.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:34:12 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #328 on: June 28, 2010, 05:07:13 pm »

Is anyone else having frequent crashes and lockups? I haven't played DF for more than a year, but I never once had a crash back then. I waited until 0.31.08 so the worst of the bugs would be fixed, but it's the crashes that are giving me fits. I'm using the version bundled with May Green graphics (I don't know if that's legacy or SDL) on Windows XP.

OK, I say "frequent," but I've had two crashes and once where only the arrow keys still worked, so I had to do a hard reboot (I could look around, but do nothing else, including "Escape" to save the game). But I haven't even seen a season change yet. Yeah, I'm still in spring in the first year. It's pretty frustrating.

I'm not doing anything unusual when the crashes occur, and I can't seem to identify a common factor to them. I've started trying to save the game more often, but it's not much fun to keep going back and replaying the same things. So I've been quitting the game for a day or two whenever I get a crash. But that makes it hard to stay interested.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #329 on: June 28, 2010, 05:42:32 pm »

That's my feeling too -- the "headless material-based creatures" fix may have been as simple as guaranteeing that all random creatures have a crucial body part that isn't part of the body root, and can therefore be amputated.  In practical terms, that just means sticking a head on creatures that didn't have one.

Creatures with fluid/sandy central body parts that have them "broken away" have all remaining limbs severed and instantly die, and the solid creatures like demons made from quartz that don't have heads/lower bodys/thought parts will die when their central body is wounded enough that the game registers function loss for it.  That will apply to any creature that doesn't have a special child body part, like a child head/thought/lower body that would let the creature be killed.  It's a kludge in the sense that we don't really have a sense of when a living ball of rock should die because there isn't a concept of its underlying nature.

I still need to mess with cumulative wounds being able to break things, which may be today.  I'm not convinced that is a good way to a lot of the time though.  If you are only scratching a bronze colossus, those are scratches on a giant hunk of metal and there wouldn't be an appreciable tree chopping or cracking/structural instability effect there.  I should probably just fill it with something and make sure it can be punctured at this point, until there are more ways to kill things that can't be killed by a regular squad.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37