Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127937 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »

Toady did you mean only degeneration of the edges or actual damage to weapons? Ala bended/shattererd blades, brocken staffs and splintered arrows?

Also a damaged weapon must not be useless, you can trash a cue over the had of someone and then stab the same person with a now (most likely) sharp end. The "Cut of saurons finger"-move comes also to mind or using a broken jo / bo like an eskrima Staff.

Maybe degeneration isn't going to be in yet, but yea the statement needs clarification.

Still, once we do have degeneration in, we could better simulate clothes completely falling apart rather than getting stuck at XXrope reed sockXX and not dissapearing, and maybe simulate metal rusting.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:07:09 pm by smjjames »

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 01, 2010, 12:37:28 am »

I am freaking psyched for the next release.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 01, 2010, 02:18:09 am »

Me too; it really sounds like .09 is going to be the one that's as fun and playable as the 40d releases (but with all the new stuff, so better).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #378 on: July 01, 2010, 03:35:12 am »

Toady did you mean only degeneration of the edges or actual damage to weapons? Ala bended/shattererd blades, brocken staffs and splintered arrows?

Also a damaged weapon must not be useless, you can trash a cue over the had of someone and then stab the same person with a now (most likely) sharp end. The "Cut of saurons finger"-move comes also to mind or using a broken jo / bo like an eskrima Staff.

Ah, I was just referring to something somebody said about edged weapons being kind of strange for killing a giant metal statue.  There is *no* weapon degradation currently.  It was redded-out on the list of remaining items and hasn't yet been rescheduled.  We want to do both weapon and armor damage at some point, but it hasn't been done yet.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:56:55 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 01, 2010, 09:11:13 am »

Degradation should depend on the strength of the thing it's hitting. An exceptional steel axe cutting through basic copper armor like butter shouldn't degrade at the same speed than if it was trying to cut masterful bronze.

Degradation should also be a function of the skill of the dwarf using the weapon. It would be kind of backwards having a Legendary Axedwarf breaking his axe on any target. If he's legendary, he should be able to cleanly strike just about anything. Also, it would be rather odd having said Axedwarf not periodically sharpening the nicks out of his axe. If that axedwarf is attached to the weapon, then he should really, really maintain it.

A Legendary Axedwarf with an artifact axe should never break or let that axe go dull.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:20 am »

Degradation should also be a function of the skill of the dwarf using the weapon. It would be kind of backwards having a Legendary Axedwarf breaking his axe on any target. If he's legendary, he should be able to cleanly strike just about anything. Also, it would be rather odd having said Axedwarf not periodically sharpening the nicks out of his axe. If that axedwarf is attached to the weapon, then he should really, really maintain it.

A Legendary Axedwarf with an artifact axe should never break or let that axe go dull.

I agree regarding artifacts, but I also think it would make sense and fit well into a fantasy setting for a legendary axedwarf to have the ability, in life-and-death circumstances, to grab a mundane, poor-quality weapon and wring an extra amount of AWESOME out of it by hitting so hard and dead-on that both the enemy and the weapon are destroyed by the impact. In a normal low-threat battle, sure, she knows how to swing an axe to avoid damaging it, but if the inner defenses have been breached and there's a goblin master lasher chasing her spouse toward the lower caverns, is an axe's well-being going to be her highest priority?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 01, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »

Also, how do you hack a bronze golem carefully in order not to break your axe?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 01, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

Well... if you wanna get all realistic on us, you would have to admit that if the thing was really made of bronze, it wouldn't be walking around causing grief. Talk about joint stiffness! ouch.

I think it's fictionally plausable that a dwarf, of a certain reputation..., could surround his axe with his exceptional aura of heroic invincibility and thereby prevent any damage to the axe.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Taeraresh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 01, 2010, 02:49:08 pm »

If there's degradation coming in the future, there needs to be a sharpener's workshop to fix em up for some time :3
Item repairs would also be good because they'd help you keep your supplies at a constant level -- one problem I can potentially see is players constantly having to manually check their weapons and make sure that they have the correct amounts, replacing stuff that has worn out.

Of course, mandates are, in theory, meant to handle this kind of thing, if the relevant nobles can be taught to be smart about them...

Maybe make it like the tanner's shop, automatically let the fixer dwarf take the weapon from the soldier, go fix it and then bring it back to the dude. This would happen as soon as an item reaches a certain status of degradation, and the soldier is not active (to prevent mid-battle weapon robbery which would be hilarious but deadly)

Also, I can see a highly-skilled repairdwarf fixing up a lower-quality weapon while they're repairing, and perhaps increasing its quality level.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 01, 2010, 03:02:10 pm »

1 ) Become a trader when Toady makes planned improvements to adventure mode
2 ) Become legendary weapon repairer
3 ) buy broken weapons
4)  repair
5 ) legendary weapons
6 ) sell on
7 ) ? ? ? ? ?
8 ) PROFIT!!
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 01, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »

Also, I can see a highly-skilled repairdwarf fixing up a lower-quality weapon while they're repairing, and perhaps increasing its quality level.
I don't.

Perhaps for the very worst weapons, but generally speaking the quality of a weapon is limited by its forging. A blade can certainly be ruined by lack of maintenance, but if it's badly made in the first made - if the iron crystals inside the blade are badly aligned, or there are pockets of carbon or silicon, whatever - no amount of maintenance is going to fix that; you'd need to reforge it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 01, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

I don't.

Perhaps for the very worst weapons, but generally speaking the quality of a weapon is limited by its forging. A blade can certainly be ruined by lack of maintenance, but if it's badly made in the first made - if the iron crystals inside the blade are badly aligned, or there are pockets of carbon or silicon, whatever - no amount of maintenance is going to fix that; you'd need to reforge it.

Have you ever seen a dwarf without a pocket reforge kit? I certainly haven't.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 01, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

I don't.

True but a significant repair job may well require at least reheating the blade to smooth out really bad dings and bends.  Hardened steel is very difficult to mold without heating and even a good reheat can restructure the crystalline structure if it wasn't very good the first time around.

Also, weapon quality, I'd imagine, is largely based on the the quality of the edge since that is the main thing that quality modifies affect (weapon damage and as a result the value) so I could see the repair dwarf grinding out a better edge than the original blade.

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »

You go for the knees.

Like someone else pointed out, if it's moving, then there's a weak spot. It either becomes softer at the joints to move magically OR it's got hinge-like joints. If it's cast, it has to have seams. There's always a sweet spot!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2010, 12:36:52 am »

Like someone else pointed out, if it's moving, then there's a weak spot. It either becomes softer at the joints to move magically OR it's got hinge-like joints. If it's cast, it has to have seams. There's always a sweet spot!
Like human's knee, joint could have external shielding. Even few cm of solid bronze would stop any melee weapon, and even most of firearms.
I'd prefer catapult/ballista damage be fixed and ability to have military operators, who would not run from enemy.
Having all enemies be easily choppable with axes is boring. Its completely in DFs spirit to require some non-trivial approach to fight megabeasts.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37