Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127935 times)

Heimdall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2010, 10:47:29 am »

How do I change window size? I used to change it to 1280x600 having font the same, but now it seems this option have gone. And 640x300 window is quite small.

Heimdall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 03, 2010, 10:52:18 am »

Aah, my bad.. Now I see the changes :). That's even better.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:53:59 am by Heimdall »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2010, 12:07:11 pm »

Its an easy patch to just say dwarves have fairly advanced metallurgical knowledge and an innate ability to get the best out of the ore. Is the no fish bug still in? i get a good supply of turtles and fishes then nothing for as long as my forts have lasted.

I can attest that founding a fortress on a stream in 31.08 provides enough fish to comfortably feed a modest fortress. Nice to get some use out of those immigrant fishermen.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 03, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »

Yeah apparently it refills itself after awhile--wtf is up with sea water not being drinkable with wells and screw pumps? I had to compromise my defenses to quickly create a well from an underground source. I created a huge cistern system(lost 4 miners the ocean fills tunnels fast!) and finally got the pumps going only to see the water was still undrinkable.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »

Did you try isolating your cistern from natural walls? That is, covering it with flooring and surrounding it with walls inside.

Desalination could be borked in this version, dunno.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 03, 2010, 06:38:25 pm »

Desalinization is/was a bug, so people shouldn't be too surprised if it's been fixed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 03, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »

Desalinization is/was a bug, so people shouldn't be too surprised if it's been fixed.

Then how are we suppoused to get fresh water in an ocean fort when it suppousedly makes every single source of water near the ocean salty, including underground???

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 03, 2010, 06:42:44 pm »

I think he's doing it wrong regardless. It sounds like he's pumping it into a cistern made of natural rock, and the desalination trick requires the water to never touch natural terrain once it leaves the pump.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 03, 2010, 09:35:59 pm »

Yeah i'm doing it wrong heh always read about ocean forts but never bothered to build one until now.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 04, 2010, 07:34:26 am »

It's the only way to get fresh water on ocean biomes though :/ I don't think it should be fixed until a new, proper way (like a workshop) is added to make drinkable water.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 04, 2010, 01:20:44 pm »

Chances are the bug was having wider effects, though, and it was fixed as part of a larger more general improvement.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting DF to work in Linux?
« Reply #416 on: July 04, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

I'm stuck on my outdated ibook G4 for at least a couple months until I can save the money to fix my PC.  I decided to try out Linux as I can't afford upgrading MacOS.  I have Xubuntu running fine now...it was easier than installing Windows XP, though I still need to get a few non-essentials working.

Which leads to my question: can DF run in Linux on powerpc hardware?  And if so, how?  I've tinkered around with Linux many years ago, but I'm essentially a newbie.  I've downloaded the linux 31.08, but clearly there is more to it than just double-clicking.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 04, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »

It can't. The Linux version only works on x86.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:52 pm »

Not true, I am running the 64 version of Mandriva and it is running fine for me.  It chokes a bit but overall it runs fine considering I have to do it with ACPI off and my graphics driver doesn't work.

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2010, 01:23:09 am »

So...either it doesn't work or it might sort of work...

izraq:  What kind of hardware are you on, specifically, and do you have any tips on how to get it running?  I am open to the possibility of blood sacrifices to Armok.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37