Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 128183 times)

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #420 on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:00 am »

I don't know what to tell you.  I am on mandriva linux on a toshiba satlite and i am using the sdl version.  I can run off the executable no problems.  One thing I would do if you can't get the linux version to work is get the windoze version and use WINE.  Best of luck to you and blessings from Armok be with you fellow Linux dwarf

EDIT: I did some research just so I didn't lead you astray I am using the ONE version which is 32... only powerpack is 64... sorry I am a bit of a dorf sometimes so yeah I would use WINE or go back to a 32 version.  I really hope to Armok you get it working and create a fortress of the highest craftdwarfsmanship.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:13:57 am by izraqthedark »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:50 am »

He was asking about running DF on a PowerPC architecture platform.  PowerPC is completely incompatible with x86/i386/amd64/x86_64 hardware -- it's a totally separate architecture and would need to have DF recompiled for it.  I don't foresee that as likely.

The only way you could run DF on a PPC machine would be through an emulator of some kind.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 05, 2010, 09:11:07 am »

He was asking about running DF on a PowerPC architecture platform.  PowerPC is completely incompatible with x86/i386/amd64/x86_64 hardware -- it's a totally separate architecture and would need to have DF recompiled for it.  I don't foresee that as likely.

The only way you could run DF on a PPC machine would be through an emulator of some kind.

Would WINE be an appropriate emulator though that is what I am thinking would be his best bet?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:38 am »

There is no reasonable combination of software that would let you run DF on Linux/PPC.

Simple fact: The only PPC version of DF is the one for OS X. However, there is no wine equivalent for running OS X applications on Linux. You could use an emulator to run the x86 version, but in this case I would expect framerates that would best described with negative logarithms.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:49 pm »

Would WINE be an appropriate emulator though that is what I am thinking would be his best bet?

Wine Is Not an Emulator

An x86 application, in theory, runs fine in DOS, Windows, OSX, Linux, or *BSD.  In practice though, all applications need to make system calls to do absolutely anything.  System calls are not the same across operating systems.  What WINE does is make the Windows system calls available under Linux (or *BSD, including OSX).  That's not emulation in the traditional sense, since the code is still running on your CPU directly. 

It won't work on an older Mac, since those use a different kind of CPU (IBM PowerPC, hence, PPC).  Since the code won't run on that CPU, it doesn't matter what system calls are available.  (And since there are no PPC Windows apps, nobody will ever bother getting WINE running on a PPC machine anyway).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »

Toady: Have you messed with the combat randomness at all or is it still "weaker material has zero chance of beating stronger material" like in the current version? I was wondering as you said "and I'm happier with the results now after a lot of changes." in the newest devlog, so maybe more randomness was one of the changes? A man can dream.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »

Looking forward to the next release. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 05, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »

Actually with ranged attacks it does make sense that copper bolts will NEVER penetrate steel armor.  It also makes sense that if armor coverage is not 100% the uncovered areas will get hit from time to time.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »

With ranged attacks sure. With melee attacks, things will all change when weapon degradation gets coded in eventually but right now a low but not infinitessimal chance (provided attacker's strength is worthy) for a inferior material weapon to do damage through a superior material armour in melee combat would indeed be nice. Combat balance will still need more work in .10 is Toady's message but he's moving on for now to get a release out (with shooting fixed) and more testing feedback from us.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

tweinst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »

Perhaps material properties could have a random adjustment modulated by quality, to represent construction flaws? So a poorly made suit of bronze armor might have a lot of weak spots, while one that is well made would generally be tough all over.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2010, 07:40:31 pm »

Seems fair

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2010, 10:43:34 pm »

Re: fishing, my experience is that after a few years the population gives out and never comes back. 20 year fort on a brook here. Stockpile your refuse inside D:
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 05, 2010, 11:10:59 pm »

Actually with ranged attacks it does make sense that copper bolts will NEVER penetrate steel armor.  It also makes sense that if armor coverage is not 100% the uncovered areas will get hit from time to time.
A copper bolt travelling at ninety percent of the speed of light carries a high probability of causing problems for an individual completely covered by heavy steel armour. A solid copper bolt fired from a particularly heavy crossbow would probably get through a weak point in standard steel armour, although it would expect to lose much of its force in doing so. Perhaps there is room for two tyes of crossbow, one which fires more quickly, and another with more power.

P.S.
 Axes and hammers work much the same way as bolts, relying largely upon momentum and not really doing much once they stop. Swords are probably the most badly affected by material hardness...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:14:50 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #433 on: July 05, 2010, 11:22:31 pm »

Toady: Have you messed with the combat randomness at all or is it still "weaker material has zero chance of beating stronger material" like in the current version? I was wondering as you said "and I'm happier with the results now after a lot of changes." in the newest devlog, so maybe more randomness was one of the changes? A man can dream.

There has been a tendency for material differences to not be quite as all-deciding, but it's still a little off.  The armor is like a fully covering metal skin now, and that's part of the problem, but there are still other things to do with contact area and whatever else -- right now sword swings have to use contact area for the sweep of the swing as well as the actual contact area of the strike, when those are very different things, and that exacerbates material issues.  I'm going to change that.  Bolts have small contact areas now, and that helps them punch through breast plates when they get a nice square shot.  I just want to get a release up within a few days, and then I'll probably be back doing some of this, though I've got to spread out to other issues as well.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2010, 01:47:44 am »

There has been a tendency for material differences to not be quite as all-deciding, but it's still a little off.  The armor is like a fully covering metal skin now, and that's part of the problem, but there are still other things to do with contact area and whatever else -- right now sword swings have to use contact area for the sweep of the swing as well as the actual contact area of the strike, when those are very different things, and that exacerbates material issues.  I'm going to change that.  Bolts have small contact areas now, and that helps them punch through breast plates when they get a nice square shot.  I just want to get a release up within a few days, and then I'll probably be back doing some of this, though I've got to spread out to other issues as well.

You probably know this by now, but FWIW, I think I've figured out that the other major problem with ammunition is the game doesn't differentiate between how long something is and how deeply it can actually penetrate, so you get issues like darts (being very short) not actually going past clothing, and ammo penetrating just as deep whether you stab a guy with it or launch it from a weapon, because the game doesn't really consider the possibility of an item like that being able to pass through a layer entirely. I'm also not entirely sure if lower contact area increases chance of penetration (as it should, in the case of a spear, due to more concentrated force).

On a barely-related note, since people are talking about materials: Have you ever considered having the material-item abstraction go "material -> composition -> item" instead of "material -> item"? When I say "composition" I mean how the material is arranged, stuff that's covered by tags like "[TISSUE_SHAPE:STRANDS]" or [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_foo]". I can't help but feel this would make things go much more smoothly/flexibly, and allow better retention/alteration of how a substance is shaped through industrial processes (for instance, the STRAND composition of HAIR material (or of THREAD items made of COTTON material) would carry over more easily to things you make out of those items, like a wool shirt, without having to explicitly specify that the shirt should be woven as opposed to being more solid, like something made out of a LEATHER item. It just seems important enough that it should be independent of the item itself (especially since, well, it is), for those purposes and so more flexible industrial processes could be considered without having to add as many special-cases or item-specific tags.

Perhaps material properties could have a random adjustment modulated by quality, to represent construction flaws? So a poorly made suit of bronze armor might have a lot of weak spots, while one that is well made would generally be tough all over.

The problem here is that you'd need random adjustments that are profound enough as to start making little sense, or else they'd only really show up in extreme cases. Also, I'd say something like that should be figured into quality itself, and not hidden from the player.

More combat randomness would be nice, especially where the system can't really simulate what's going on properly, but I don't know if applying it at that point would be the best way to go.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37