Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127944 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #510 on: July 10, 2010, 12:27:11 am »

I don't see any problems with scripting.  I think a large part of why I enjoy DF is because it's a fantasy world simulator, and I wouldn't mind coming up with a series of different fantasy settlement scripts and let it run all day and come home from work to find out what happened.  I could imagine doing that quite a bit and then playing DF more in Adventurer Mode.  I could see a problem with scripting if this was a MMORPG.  I don't feel like the guys who make megaprojects are somehow taking away from my game, I don't see why I'd think that some guy with a great automation script is going to do that, either.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 10, 2010, 02:02:03 am »

I have mixed feelings on the idea of scripting in DF.  Part of the attraction of the game for me is the continuous interaction model, where the player has to pay attention and constantly issue orders.  For me the challenge is how long can I keep it going with a low idlers number, processing raw materials into finished goods efficiently, and not running out of booze.
Challenge of micromanagement is hard to be considered fun.

As long as scripts are kept to raws mostly, I dont think they would harm the game in any way. If Toady will expose stuff like quests into these scripts, everyone will benefit from diversity.
There are some FOSS games out there, where with sources on hand you theoretically could change your gameplay into w/e you want, and I didn't see any examples of that going out of hand and hurting someone else's gaming experience.

Only thing which worries me is game speed. Scripting languages are generally MUCH slower than C++, and Scheme is not an exception.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 10, 2010, 03:57:29 am »

I don't feel like the guys who make megaprojects are somehow taking away from my game, I don't see why I'd think that some guy with a great automation script is going to do that, either.

Those two things aren't comparable at all. Megaprojects are, for the most part, superfluous vanity projects that serve limited function (and when they do serve a function, it's usually something of very little practical usage, or something that could be easily solved via a simpler method). This is quite different from something like fortress automation, which is extremely useful and convenient for pretty much anyone, to the point where such features are extremely often requested.

They use Python which makes reasonably good sense to anyone who is familiar with at least one procedural language.  Scheme might be a little too dense for casual use by people who have only seen procedural before -- though if a functional approach is necessary then by all means use whatever language makes sense.

From what I've seen, Scheme looks fairly counter-intuitive ("+ i 5" and other prefixed operators being bad enough on their own), and I'm not sure why a functional approach is necessary, or why something more commonly-known wouldn't be used.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »

In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to claim that scripting is a bad idea for DF to use at all, just that allowing sufficiently arbitrary in-game console scripting might have negative implications. Obviously, for some purposes (especially more behind-the-scenes stuff, or as a backbone for things done via the user interface) it's a fairly obviously good choice.

(in response to Toady's post earlier, which I somehow missed, being an idiot, which is why I also just accidentally double-posted)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 10, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »

Any chance of 0.31.09 being released today?

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2010, 04:42:55 pm »

Those two things aren't comparable at all. Megaprojects are, for the most part, superfluous vanity projects that serve limited function (and when they do serve a function, it's usually something of very little practical usage, or something that could be easily solved via a simpler method). This is quite different from something like fortress automation, which is extremely useful and convenient for pretty much anyone, to the point where such features are extremely often requested.

I disagree, obviously, or otherwise I wouldn't have compared them.  Look, when a guy spends the time and energy necessary to build a giant bear made out of soap, I think it's cool.  If someone spent an equal amount of time and energy writing up scripts to automate their fortress growth and management, I'd think that's cool, too.  It doesn't somehow reduce my enjoyment of the game.  If someone is a super-hacker and they've come up with a fully functional, thousand year-old fortress that runs without any input, how does that damage my own experience with dwarf mode even an iota?
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 10, 2010, 04:45:04 pm »

IŽd rather say 32.01

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »

I see 2 broad categories where scripting would be concerned: use in-game to enhance the playing of an existing or new fort and use for content generation. There is certainly demand for standing production orders and no matter how you look at it, that's "scripting" to some degree or other (the question is how much flexibility the players are given). I'm also seeing some fantasy ideal cases here of running some megascript to say, automate the first year of a new fort. From what I read of Toady's post, he feels DF is a game to be played, not a simulation engine to be run by a script - the 'game' part of the DF project description clashes with the very nature of standing production orders which require scripting to some extent or other.

It's my view that any scripting that directly influences the running of a fort should only be able to enhance the mid-late game aspect of Fortress Mode to free up the player to focus on the more interesting issues that don't arise in the early game. Maybe require the manager dwarf and ~40 population before it's available. In the early-mid game there isn't much for the player to do besides carve out the fortress and keep food/booze in stock so the player has plenty to do. Late game when nobles, guilds and sieges come into play, the player wants to focus on those issues and not the mundane "we need more booze" or "we're running low on bolts". Scripting would be designed to alleviate the player only at that point when more interesting issues come out. Maybe then, instead of an arbitrary population cap, the standing orders can be tied to the existence of guilds: handwave that the dwarves need guilds to get that organised. If a player has no programming skill whatsoever, standing orders are simple enough to understand that they can just copy/paste from a cookbook or from forum posts if the interface needs syntax care - simple IF ELSE statements are understood even by non-programmers as it's part of everyday logic in life. I have no comment at present about using scripting for improved machinery.

Seems that Toady's (and Baughn's) main thoughts with scripting is towards content generation. A special ability or magic artifact that does X, where X can be whatever the modder wants via scripting. Or a random creature Y, where the algorithm that chooses how to build Y is guided by the modder via scripting. These uses of scripting won't be of interest to casual players who just want to play the fort - they want to use what the modders cook up, but they're not interested in doing any modding themselves and hence, doing any content generation scripting themselves.

In which case why not expand or branch off the Arena mode we have right now? To test random creature physiology, let Arena mode spawn random creatures (e.g. "make me a random dragon as I wrote in the raw scripts"). To test special abilities/magic, have some sort of 'Testbed fort' - a 1x1 embark zone with limited z-levels and starting conditions (like number of dwarves at what skill) generated as dictated by a start-up script (just like how the terrain of Arena mode is read from a start-up file right now). Make console-scripting only available here in addition to Arena mode "spawn creature at will" where modders can pull up the console to try out various things to test their special ability/magic idea. Cripple this mode in whatever ways the scripting won't ever have to be concerned with, e.g. "this mode auto-terminates after 1 game-year" or "no trade goods" or whatever. Once they have tested out their idea, the modders would need a way to translate their console-scripting experiments onto raws in some way. Then they can let other players use those raws and casual players will thus get to play with advanced modding content without having to look at console-scripting ever.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 10, 2010, 05:11:01 pm »

That's a great idea. It'd take a little more work on Toady's part, but I think it should be problemfree. G-Flex?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:37 pm »

My guess is that if an update was going to be made today, it would have happened already.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »

I would also like to know this, I don't like asking, but I'm desperate for my next fix of updatey goodness.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »

If a player has no programming skill whatsoever, standing orders are simple enough to understand that they can just copy/paste from a cookbook or from forum posts if the interface needs syntax care - simple IF ELSE statements are understood even by non-programmers as it's part of everyday logic in life.

This is already far too complex for the average user. A user should not have to look up things in a "cookbook" or on the forum in order to play the game, even for late-game/convenience-oriented things. What you're proposing is infeasible because of this case if for no other reason. If you implement a feature in a game that requires people to look at a script-programming cookbook in order to use it effectively, then you have failed.

Seems that Toady's (and Baughn's) main thoughts with scripting is towards content generation. A special ability or magic artifact that does X, where X can be whatever the modder wants via scripting. Or a random creature Y, where the algorithm that chooses how to build Y is guided by the modder via scripting. These uses of scripting won't be of interest to casual players who just want to play the fort - they want to use what the modders cook up, but they're not interested in doing any modding themselves and hence, doing any content generation scripting themselves.

Yeah, this is a completely different usage case, and seems fine by me.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »

My guess is that if an update was going to be made today, it would have happened already.

Well Toady is online atm, so hopefully he's uploading it.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 10, 2010, 05:46:22 pm »

Well Toady is online atm, so hopefully he's uploading it.

Or just going to post an announcement "Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 delayed!"

(I hope hes uploading it of course.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #524 on: July 10, 2010, 05:53:16 pm »

I had finished my windows compiles on schedule, then I went to the forum, and it was down...  and it turns out it was very down, and the message database was corrupt.  So I was figuring that out and putting the repairs into motion until 11 or 12 or whenever it was.  Hopefully the forum is fine now.  Then I slept for an hour and am now back to the release checklist and am in the middle of the Linux compile.  There was something to do with dynamic linking of sound libraries this time around that I forgot to get back in touch with Baughn on that hasn't had any problems yet but which he said he might want to take a look at.  Other than that, things should proceed smoothly which would mean a release within a couple hours.  Then we can have a second release due to whatever screwup has been introduced by my release process being interrupted...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37