Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Boardstrap, - Thermal borehole (HMM5 style)  (Read 17061 times)

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boardstrap, - Thermal borehole (HMM5 style)
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »

Hello.

I'm starting this thread to record the history of what may become my most succesful fort yet and my first megaproject. The core idea in this fort is to create a large borehole from the surface and as deep down as possible.
This thread is not planned to be a story told by the dwarves, but my notes (as a player) on progress and reaching the milestones. For that reason it is NOT POSSIBLE TO CLAIM DWARVES  :o.  I like reading the community games as much as everyone, but I'm not writing one (this time).  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:28:44 pm by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broadstrap, - Thermal borehole (HMM5 style)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:00:00 pm »

First milestone to share: Collapsing the core to the first cavern.
(14th Sandstone 1054, Mid-Autumn.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All squads were activated to show the soldier types.

Surface:
We see the 41 urist wide borehole cerimonialy centered on the Wagon. My plan is to dig the borehole by mining out a ring and let the core collapse when we reach caverns. If all goes well we will sacrifice the entire core into the magna when we are deep enough.
Walls have been errected, 3 full squads are in training and a basic killing entrance is made as defence. We are under siege, but the enemy is on the other side of the stream and can't reach us.

10 levels below:
The entire core is held by a single support linked to a lever being pulled right NOW.
- Ok, - almost now. The stream froze right as I was ready for the pull, so the sieging force charged across. Just as I had finished dicing them 3 ogres entered the map, but the squads took them all down without fatalities. Another siege happened right afterward with bow goblins mounted on crocodiles and trolls! The caravan from Mountainhome arrieved at the same time. The liaison got though the gates in time, but the entire trade caravan was torn apart by the trolls (I got through only losing 5 of my dwarves). - I just love how the complexity of this game can mess up any plan.
Good thing the liaison survived, - the fort will be awarded with a title of baron. I will recommend the mason of the original 7 as he is in love with the original miner, - this could be come an aristocracy based on merit (for a change).

So NOW (28th Moonstone 1054, Early Winter) we will pull the lever:
The entire hole become a dust storm. Good thing the entire population was called to the NE corner.

The cavern level has become a solid disk as planned. The collapse has expsed a lot of the interior.

The mid level of the core is now a random mix of air and spires as the collapse has compressed former mining tunnels, stairways and ramps. A beautiful ice sculputure was to my surprise created right outside my dining hall.
DWARVEN SICENCE: The ice must be from the lake in the cavern. Finding it atop of the collapsed core must indicate, that when rock is made to collapse into water, then the water TELEPORTS ATOP of the falling rock. It would then normally quickly flow away to give the natural illusion of being pushed away, but as my collapse happened in the winter it was frozen at once. (It may become Fun for anyone below next spring.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:04:00 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »

HMM5 had boreholes?

I was thinking Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »

HMM5 had boreholes?

:) Me too. I was thinking about putting Alpha Centauri in the title instead, but 'Hammers of Fate' is more in the DF theme.
My HMoM forts :

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:05:43 pm »

HMM5 had boreholes?

:) Me too. I was thinking about putting Alpha Centauri in the title instead, but 'Hammers of Fate' is more in the DF theme.
Excellent job by the way. Looks amazing.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

Hehe, add another person thinking SMAC(X) when reading the thread title at first. And looks good so far.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 03:10:48 am »

Just a few updates from the following spring.

The Elven caravan arrieved at the same time and between a besieging force of 4-5 squads. - One of the fractions didn't didn't survive. The enclosure is my fishing area.

However, my craftdwarves are impressed with the touch of style these goblins show. - But then again, they do appearently have a dwarf as general.  ;)

My HMoM forts :

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 07:36:43 am »

However, my craftdwarves are impressed with the touch of style these goblins show. - But then again, they do appearently have a dwarf as general.  ;)
Aha! No wonder they're doing so well.

Also, it's pretty neat that the game tracks which bolt kills what creature if I am reading that correctly. Now you can go get the display case mod and toss that bolt in a display case somewhere in your fort. Generations from now the old dorfs can say "This was the bolt! It killed Em Matchhex the goblin in a single hit! Also it killed some mule, but NOBODY CARES ABOUT THAT. Look at that craftsmanship, they don't make em like that any more."

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 08:31:20 am »

Nice fishin' hole!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:05:55 am »

THE 2ND CAVERN: 9th Galean, 1057, Late Summer.
Status. The number of animals is becomming an issue.

The second cavern is ready to be collapsed into. This level is almostly completely waterfilled, so I had to extend the drilling diameter to create a rock wall all around the continued drilling.

A group of caged trolls are put in the column for ritual sacrifice. (My militaty gets plenty of training, and I'm not ready to build an areana yet. So this was also a quick, if nasty, solution.)

Everyone is called to the safty zone. It is primarily to avoid them being knocked around by the dust storm, but the room is also planned as a bunker in case of unkillable forgotten beasts. A solid block of rock is suspended above the yellow rectangle to be dropped on anyone approaching.

(The procedure has already been tested elsewhere in the fort with success.  8))

The collapse is in progress, - I may want to put some windows in the baron's quaters.  :P

The collapse was a success. I can now continue the original drilling radius through the water level.

The top is now mostly free. Only some 'ghost ramps' are left, - I will probably have to build some walls in the cells to reset them.

Military on parade. My defense is basic but effective with a spike trapped serpent road and draw bridges that allows me to divide the sieging forces in convenient parts. I have two other trapped entrances I can open to lure the forces away while I prepare the entrance for the next wave.

My HMoM forts :

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:09:30 am »

Interlude:

A forgotten beast made of vormit puts my military in the sick bay. They all recovered and they did manage to kill the beast with normal weapons.
My HMoM forts :

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:11 am »

THE 3RD CAVERN: 26th Moonstone 1058, Early Winter
Status. I have the animal population under control with most females butchered resulting in lots of processed meat, - well we wont starve for the next many many years.

The 3rd cavern is ready to recieve the gift from above. This is a true treasure trove of colorful wood.

My miners have hollowed out a part of the core to speed up the collapse process. The mined stone should be eleminated by the crash, so how to avoid 'FPS death by too much stuff' this way.

I couldn't help chopping down the wood in cavern 3 and make bins of it. I just love this version for (among many other things) the colored wood.

Another collapse in progress. It is almost becomming routine by now.

The upper 3 levels now have a completely free hole. I'm currently using the sides for 'temporary' refuse pile, - it will eventually be moved to the quantum dump.

And the drilling continues through the 3rd level. I plan to move a lot of the fort to this area, - there is even a lump of adamantine to be worked on, but more on that when it is done.

And unrelated weapon notes:
This long sword killed one of my guard dwarves, - but has been in good use since.

'No Sir, - this is NOT a weapon, - it is a TOOL.' 
My HMoM forts :

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:37:00 am »

Pretty awesome. I too thought of Alpha Centauri when I saw the title. Also, that's one bad-ass pick (and bad-ass miner) to take out a giantess with it.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 04:08:20 pm »

Your progress is impressive. What do you use to designate the circular digging area?

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 05:11:10 pm »

HMM5 had boreholes?

It most certainly does - in the Dwarf towns, no less!

HoMM 5 dwarves build magmafalls, gigantic walls, massive rock edifices shaped like bears, and dig dozens of z-levels into the ground just because it lokos impressive. They are exceptionally DWARFY dwarves.

(Demons have similar sleeping arrangements, and according to the game's backstory, they're alien monsters who were imprisoned in the magma core of the planet. Sounds quite like demons we know, doesn't it?)
Pages: [1] 2 3