Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Conditional companions

(1/1)

Virtz:
Having played Unreal World, I've been wondering if the adventure mode companions couldn't be a bit more... realistic? That is, currently you ask them to join and if they agree, they're with you for life without payment, as if you were Napoleon or something.Now, in UW, you can ask NPCs to come hunt with you, go on adventure, help with fishing, or simply wandering with you. They may first demand something of you, like some food and water, and then agree to follow you for a few days (3-10 or so) and later you can prolong their deal with you somehow. Of course, they may also simply deny your request based on how much they're interested in the offer. Afterwards, they may be open to further adventuring or not, depending on how eventful the adventure was and if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing (if you ask them to go fishing with you and then go cave crawling, they won't like it).I was thinking we could have something similar in DF with companions. Say, you ask a person to join and get their initial offer (deny or join for X days) and then you get to pick an option to persuade them, accept the offer or cancel. The persuasion option would be offering them some items (including money) and/or promising them something - an item you currently possess, some cut of the gains or just fame. The effect would depend on your might, reputation, personality skills (once the fortress skills are in adventure mode), value of the item and how likely the promise is.Once their time with you was over, they would take what was promised and give another initial offer based on how the adventure fared, whether or not you kept the promise (assuming there was one) and if they have something else to do (random condition) and be easier or harder to convince to come along again for a further time period. There'd also be the possibility of them wanting to stay permamently if they became friends with you, but that's something for the farther future (along with personality skill use).

Jetman123:
Seconded.

Helmaroc:
But of course you could threaten them, if they DON'T serve you for life, BLUDGEON SLASH GORE.

Cthulhu:
This should happen, especially since Megabeast plunder will be showing up in caves, we'll have some loot to spend.  Maybe coins could play a greater role in the game.  I like the concept of bartering, it's new, but still.

Neonivek:
Before I see this in the game... Id like Trade and Adventure to be fixed...for some reason I cannot see the prices of objects in the game (I wonder if that is normal)I also suspect that later you can get just about anyone to join you if they like you enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version