Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your dwarf fortres "inventions"?  (Read 8029 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Your dwarf fortres "inventions"?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:39 am »

What if you dammed the brook, built the bridge on the drained bed, and then released the brook again?
To do that on a brook, you'd have to mine the brook tiles out first, since brooks are solid yet water-permeable tiles.  You could do it with a river, but you'd just get a device that flings fish around in the river, since raising drawbridges don't throw living creatures up onto different Z-levels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Your dwarf fortres "inventions"?
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 02:08:24 pm »

The most complex invention I ever had was my Orcsicle maker, I've posed it before but in case anyone hasn't seen it I'll post again. It's basically an elaborate freezing trap that is used as the entrance to my glacial fort. I lure my foes into a corridor warmed from bellow with magma, close said corridor, flood it with water, drain the magma from bellow which allows it to flash freeze killing all in the corridor. At the end I can reapply magma to melt the ice and drain it away with pumps.

The smooth cyan floor is smoothed ice and also where the killing takes place.

A video of it in action.

Detailed explanation with diagrams and refined plans for a new design.

On another fort I kept an underground cavern I dug populated with hunt-able wild animals using a design similar to these automatic butchering machines, instead of animals dropping to their doom I had had them dropped safely into my hunting cavern.

Then there was my magma flood machine which utilised the pressure generated by pumps to cause this:

That building to the right is what's causing all the the flooding. Unfortunately I didn't use enough pumps so I couldn't turn all the magma outlets on at once, though the magma pipe emptied quite quickly anyway.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 2 [3]