Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Keda's Graphics Set 0.14 (for 0.31.10 & 08)  (Read 7800 times)

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keda's Graphics Set 0.14 (for 0.31.10 & 08)
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:59:07 am »

Keda's Graphics Set 0.14

Download

Note: This set has two separate tilesets for adventure mode and fortress mode; I've used some tiles which appear only in adventure mode and the world map in fortressmode to distinguish between various ore.

After a month of playing dwarf fortress I discovered tilesets, or rather, while I was aware there were such, I actually tried out playing with them and found it much more rewarding, but I was never quite satisfied with any single set, so I started with picking out the tiles I liked from various sets and formed my own selection. I've also made some modifications to existing tiles, almost every tile is either just taken from another set or modified, so there is very little originality here, except perhaps the grass. I finally decided to share with the DF community here the results. If anyone of the author's of the original tiles object to my use of their tiles, I will of course remove those from the set and try to replace them with something else. That said, thanks and credit goes to:

Rantingrodent - The original tileset, that I started with.
Ironhand, Aesomatica, Phoebus, hermano, Goldplated, Darkond Digs Deeper and others who may be the original authors of various tiles.

Sphr and Bane16 - for graphics of dwarves, creatures, etc.

Special thanks goes to Ironhand, although while I did discover this method on my own, in particular trying to get brown shaded trunks on my trees, I was not as innovative as Ironhand with his ideas of tile magic.
And finally, I should thank the great Toad himself for the awesome game.

Suggestions, criticism, positive and negative, all welcome.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
Also:
Spoiler: soil (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: layer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: other (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic fish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: quality (click to show/hide)

Changes:
  • Spoiler: 0.14 (click to show/hide)
  • Spoiler: 0.13 (click to show/hide)
  • Spoiler: 0.12 (click to show/hide)
  • Spoiler: 0.11 (click to show/hide)
List of upcoming changes for 0.15:

• possibly new remains tile
  • possibly more interesting rock tiles
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:21:51 pm by keda »

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
Re: Keda's Tileset 0.10 (for 0.31.08)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:38 am »

screenshots?

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:02:20 am »

Uploading in a moment. Got disconnected all of a sudden...

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:19:04 am »

Sweet! I love to see other people perfecting my ideas.

I can't download it and check it out right now, but I'd love to see some screenies.
Alternatively, I'll get my hands on it this afternoon sometime.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:15:31 pm »

So, I'm having all sorts of trouble with this...

I failed to get it running properly, and now
your screenshots aren't showing up for me...

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

It looks pretty good.

Only thing I don't quite like about it is the short ramps, but beyond that it looks good.

Would like to see more screenies of it.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 05:43:35 am »

Ironhand: That's weird. Just to test it, I downloaded and extracted it on a newly extracted copy of df 31.08 and it works out of the box. Maybe its different with legacy or windows versions, going to try them all. Screenies should show up unless the server happened to be down when you checked, maybe I'll just upload them in a more reliable place.

Shaostoul: Thanks, I'll probably change the ramps, and add some more screenies. I like the small ramps better, but maybe that's just me.

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 06:01:36 am »

Apparently it doesn't work with the Windows Legacy version (becomes a tiny window), the SDL Windoiws version works however. What's the difference between the two anyways? Maybe it screws up some settings in the init file, you only need to change the bitmaps there to keda.png.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:33:59 am »

Apparently it doesn't work with the Windows Legacy version (becomes a tiny window), the SDL Windoiws version works however. What's the difference between the two anyways? Maybe it screws up some settings in the init file, you only need to change the bitmaps there to keda.png.
SDL has .png support. Legacy does not.

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18:21 am »

SDL has .png support. Legacy does not.
Well that explains it then. Thanks. Should work then unless its the mac version.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:51:06 pm »

I think I'm gong to bump this up because it’s that good.

Never really been a fan of the graphic tilesets that much but this might just change my mind. No offence to Mr Mayday, Ironhand and the rest of the guys who make them they just look a bit too cluttered for me.
Few notes though: First it would be great if there was more screen shots of different biomes. Usually I find deserts and snow looks really strange in some tilesets, this can be fixed by playing around with the water tiles, Guybush has a nice water/sand which works pretty much anywhere.
I really like the more realistic look you went with the environment and should look great if you get it working with adventure mode, though the ramps looks a bit off, as stated before hand.
If you don't mind when I get some free time I might install this and play around with it posting up some screen shots of a fortress and the like.

All in all, great job and would make an excellent tileset when I want to introduce people to dwarf fortress.

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 07:20:01 am »

Catastrophic lolcats:
Thanks for your input, I'm glad you like it. Sure, go ahead with the screenshots. Been working on a fort so I can post some from inside one, but it would be nice if folks could post screenies of their forts. I only moved to 2010 after 08 due to the bug fixes so I haven't really made much of a fort uptil now with it. Sounds like I will have to make longer ramps in the next version.

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keda's Tileset 0.11 (for 0.31.08)
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 06:33:53 am »

Version 0.11 uploaded.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:00 am »

Sorry I've been rather busy and haven't got around to uploading some screen shots but I have played around with the tile set a bit and noticed a few things:
1) The "+" tile used for smoothed stone/floors and looks rather odd in contrast to the wilderness. It would be nice if you explore a repeating tile that makes it look a little bit more fancy, like Dorten's floor tile.
2) You made a corpse tile for dead humans which is a nice touch when things die but it becomes a bit confusing without a graphic set, it also looks strange on engravings, resetting it back to U will be adequate and frees up a tile spot.
3) Figurines appear as "demons" not sure if it was intended or not, not a serve problem but does seem slightly strange.
4) Although it cannae be fixed the sky looks slightly weird
5) Haven't had a chance to test out adventure mode comparability mode. Maybe you can highlight the differences between them.
6) Weapons and arrows look more like "scrolls" ingame, slight change will easily fix that.
7) Under boulders there is a line of dots that share the same colour as the boulder, this really sticks out and makes it look as though there is writing below it, making the boulder slightly bigger will remove this.
8 ) Please include little guides for judging item quality in the next release to make it easier for people.
9) Call me an Elf but i just can't get over how nice the tress look in this  :-[

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 06:35:48 am »

1. I used the phoebus smooth floor tile because it doesn't distract me (I like cleaner looking floors, and the grass tiles go well without the rubble you see on many other tilesets with the clean looking non smooth floor) I'll think about this though. Maybe I'll find a non-distracting fancy tile.
2. Since I based my tileset on ranting rodent's, I have been using his graphics for dwarves and creatures as well, maybe I shouldn't have abstracted the tileset from these as they go together with the corpses on the tileset. I could include them in the next upload.
3. Another ranting rodent tile I haven't touched, maybe I'll change it later.
4. Good call, I think I saw an option to change that in d_init when I added the pillar.
5. I've rearranged some tiles so only ore tiles occupy adventuremode tiles in the fortressmode tileset. These include some river tiles, the elf hideout, potentially also hills and the @ tile in the future (I intend to expand more on the geological variety later)
6. Not sure how you mean they should look.
7. Will be fixed in next realease.
8. Sure
9. They are basically slightly modified (shaded) Ranting rodent tiles, modified with brown trunks. I have to admit I spent quite some time on the outher environment, maybe thats an elfy side of me. To counterbalance it I have dwarfy side that wants a cool looking geology as well. The next update will include various changes on that front.

I noticed that the mud in 31.# discoulours my farm plots red, so I tweaked the colours a bit that it looks more natural:
Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

This triggered a series of changes, e.g. the soil tiles, because clay tiles turned rather ugly due to the colour change. The old ranting rodent sedimentary layer tile is gone, and replaced by Ironhand's masterfully crafted reusable schist tile, and some gems have changed colour as well. The dwarfy end result looks something like this:
Spoiler: soil (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: layer (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2