Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged Goblin City  (Read 1577 times)

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
Caged Goblin City
« on: March 01, 2023, 06:17:32 am »

Good day, I am Sniper231996, pleasure to meet you  :),

Today I have a certain specific topic to discuss with you all... the utilization of caged goblins. Now I have caged like 50 to 60 including a city leader and all and all, every year they come, they never go back. I just "stripcaged all" and then make the goblin cage in a corner, I gave rooms to my nobles, it has been working nicely. Now I know how ya'll treat em, like for instance," magma melter, flood room, area, gladiator theatre, forgotten beastie bait, FB silk farms ( manual / auto ), dungeons, strip tavern dancers, dwarven time bomb, et cetera.
Now if I know this, why am I posting this? Because, me being a kind individual, read upon the notes of older adventurers who ventured deep even into goblin cities and took screenshots of their simple homes, I feel bad to kill them or keep them permanently caged and sort of like a mega project, have them live in peace in a corner in my fortress. I lack the experience to make a trapped/caged/area wise confined goblin happy. You all gentlemen being professional, perhaps, someone might've been successful at letting a few goblins live in an artifically created corner of your fortress so that they live there itself and have their bare necessities fulfilled somehow?

TL:DR - I have caged goblins, I want to have them live free in a large confined part of my fortress inside the caverns.
Basically making a naked goblin city deep underground.

what do you think? is it at all possible? anyone ever did this before? is it possible to at least have them drink some good alcohol, have good food, wander around, eventually be a part of the fort itself? thank you for your time. This is my first post here.  :)
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Caged Goblin City
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 10:55:06 am »

If they're invaders, they don't have needs and won't ever do anything other than wander around looking for stuff to kill.

You're better off waiting for goblin performers as tavern visitors, which can petition to join your fort.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 01:09:38 pm »

If you have DFHack (stable in v0.47, prerelease in v0.50) there is a command "tweak makeown" that makes the goblins members of your fortress.  I do not know if they will stop the "invader" mindset though, and they probably won't take labours.  To be on the safe side, make a full backup of your savefile before using DFHack.

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 02:49:58 pm »

If they're invaders, they don't have needs and won't ever do anything other than wander around looking for stuff to kill.

You're better off waiting for goblin performers as tavern visitors, which can petition to join your fort.

I see, thanks man!

If you have DFHack (stable in v0.47, prerelease in v0.50) there is a command "tweak makeown" that makes the goblins members of your fortress.  I do not know if they will stop the "invader" mindset though, and they probably won't take labours.  To be on the safe side, make a full backup of your savefile before using DFHack.

I will try this! let's see how it goes!
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 11:49:43 pm »

Although they're invaders, they're not building destroyers, so you could certainly release all of them in a sealed of area of the caverns and let them 'live their lives'. Goblins have no need to eat nor drink, so really they'd probably just want a tavern to hang out in.

As Bumber pointed out, they'll mostly just wander around. They might try climbing the walls too. If there's no exit and no targets for them to kill, they might just stand perfectly still.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 02:29:42 am »

Please give us an update if this goes any further, it'll be amazing!

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 04:51:28 am »

I tried :
dropping them in a small pit but they just went mad, I tried giving them items from above, didnt work
I tied them to ropes, it didn't work, they became free and caused fun.
I tried to make a labyrinth but it failed.
Used like drops in magma but moving them from far away point to distant point makes them go mad and cause problems. I put furniture in their caged rooms but they cause problems there as well...
Eventually for the next project video I just gave up the concept and moved on to make magma pistons and all... Sorry for late response.
- Dungeon Lord Sniper