Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps  (Read 133734 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2011, 02:02:52 pm »

Hang on. Bridges throw things, right? Can bridges throw magma? Build bridge, Magma=Z+1. Pump Magma onto bridge. Trigger bridge. Magma is tossed into Magma Cistern. Piston to higher cistern. Solves Semi-molten problem, solves problem if magma is in bad position below caverns.

Unless it doesn't work of course.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2011, 08:08:11 am »

Hang on. Bridges throw things, right? Can bridges throw magma? Build bridge, Magma=Z+1. Pump Magma onto bridge. Trigger bridge. Magma is tossed into Magma Cistern. Piston to higher cistern. Solves Semi-molten problem, solves problem if magma is in bad position below caverns.

Unless it doesn't work of course.
I think bridges only throw things on the same z-level. I don't think it works with liquids either, I had an atom-smasher for the water drain in a drowning trap and excess water on the bridge did not move when I raised the bridge.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2011, 11:04:11 am »

Nuts. Oh well.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

So: weaponizing this:

Am i correct in assuming that you can't throw up more magma than you can hold at top because it will only force up as many z-levels of magma as the piston drops, while simultaneously creating the space for them?

implication: cannot be weaponized to disgorge excess magma through a prepared exit hole at the top.

Disappointing.

I imagine you can weaponize it on subsequent drops by building the piston higher than the surrounding terrain with obsidian production, although that sounds like a lot of work.

you could of course always drop ground level as the top of your piston with hapless invaders on top of it, but that sounds far less explosive (and therefore less Fun), and has less chance to do extra damage after initial triggering.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

That sounds accurate to me. IME magma will travel up until it hits something (typically the floor above your pit), but potentially high into the air above your fort. The first thing it does is fall straight down (typically on top of the piston and bridge deck you've built). So, you'd need a way to capture it that wouldn't interfere with the piston or be there to block the rising magma. In other words, not possible at this time as far as I know.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »

Sorry for the necro, but the OP mentioned this just recently in another thread and I saw it for the first time.  An idea for a piston that can push up many z-levels of magma (much deeper than the magma sea) without needing to build any piston stack at all??

This depends on bridges supporting rocks that cave in on top of them.  I don't know if that happens, or if it just breaks the bridge or something.

The magma sea does not start all at once.  it has underhang ceiling things where stone goes further down than in other places.  Build a reservoir in one of these areas, WITH A BRIDGE FLOOR.  Then pump magma into it with a single pump or just a tunnel, from the surrounding higher elevation sea, as in panel 1.

Also build multiple layers of bridges around the piston up top, each spaced apart by the depth of one reservoir.

Steps:
1) break the support, and push up the first reservoir of magma.
2) rebuild support, dig out a single z layer.
3) Open the bridge, dropping the bit of stone in the reservoir into the semi molten rock and destroying it.
4) close bridge and repeat from step 1

If the bridge thing doesn't work, perhaps there is something very similar that would.  Still maybe inspirational.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »

If I understand your diagram correctly, dropping the piston (step 1, or the second picture) will destroy the bridge.  Bridges won't stop cave-ins.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2012, 09:13:07 pm »

Couldn't you drop the whole thing onto the semimolten rock, then build a support for the piston as quickly as possible, then mine out a bottom layer and let it melt into the magma sea? How fast does the semimolten rock destroy something?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:05 pm »

awww, darn.

@ guy above me, I believe it destroys the whole thing instantaneously.  Very much like pressurized water fills your whole fort instantly.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2012, 03:29:50 pm »

When casting the "pumped" up magma (received by a ring of hatch covers in my case), a floor is created on the same level the hatch covers are.

is there any smart way to clean this floor without deconstructing all the covers every time ? it doesn't seem to be possible to channel "through" the covers

uzushio2047

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2013, 10:46:51 pm »

Thats... thats GENIUS!!!!

You get a Dwarven SCIENCE! Stamp of Approval!
No! Genius is taking this idea and carving a fort into your piston, dropping it when invaded.
instant volcanic activity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51:43 pm »

What's all this nonsense with pistons?

Just use a magma-safe cart and impulse ramps to automate the magma draw.  It takes it a bit longer, but it doesn't require large-scale geo-construction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »

This thread pre-dates minecarts. By a couple years.

Also, large-scale geo-construction is cool.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2013, 11:04:53 pm »

Wow. You guys have necro'd the fuck outa' this thread!

Edit:

Which is fine. This is a pretty damned good thread. Still relevant in my book.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2013, 11:51:55 pm »

Just use a magma-safe cart and impulse ramps to automate the magma draw.
Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13