Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps  (Read 133688 times)

FunkyT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 02:53:44 pm »

Awesome!

It seems like you could also do without the catchment entirely (at least in its current form).  Just hollow out a pool on the inside-top of the piston.  Some magma would naturally spill over the sides, but perhaps the splashy magma would make it even dwarfier?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to replenish the pool with circular pumps. It's been a long time, but I think that in some previous version that pumps actually created the liquid they were pumping, and the output didn't exactly match the input. You might try something like this...

Code: [Select]
(pool)
~~~~~~%%<--~ back in
~~~~~~||   ~
~~~~~~%%-->~ out from pool
~~~~~~||   ~
~~~~~~%%<--~ back in

Maybe it could be designed better actually, as this example needs to have magma available for the out pump, but you know what I mean.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:16 pm »

AFAIK all the "liquid multiplying" bugs have been fixed except maybe ones related to ice.

I'm curious about the semi-molten rock thing:  when a natural wall lands on semi-molten rock, does it simply disappear or does it land normally and just turn into additional semi-molten rock?  Because if the latter, you could conceivably build a column of semi-molten rock rising right out into the open air!  What happens when there's no magma around it?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 10:46:21 am »

Ok new science has been done and using this technique directly into the magma sea does not work. As soon as the pillar hits the SMR the whole thing gets swallowed up. The magma is still displaced as usual, but there is no way to keep it there without the pillar plugging the reservois. I tried having intervening floors between the pillar and magma sea, the idea being that if it was eaten by the SMR one layer at a time, the floors would "catch" the pillar and stop further layers falling in. It seems however that the whole thing just disappears instantly and this method does nothing.

It looks like a cistern is the way to go.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 11:20:35 am »

This is awesome. 

I need some clarification as this fluid displacement stuff is new to me.  Does the magma travel up the side of the pillar as real life physics would suggest? Or just magically "switch places" with the pillar as it moves down, thus appearing above it after it lands?

Now if only there was a way to raise the pillar again.......

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 11:49:36 am »

@Kazang: The magma magically switches places.

The piston doesnt work as is cause the piston insta collapses into the smr layer. Crazy rock-blackhole under the magma sea heh. And thus leaves nowhere for the displaced magma to fall, except back into the magma sea.

I suppose if you look for a place where bedrock actually goes down through the magma sea to touch the smr layer. You could try the magma piston there. Dig out a pit there, but make sure the rock layer underneathe the pit is normal rock and not smr. Fill the pit with magma and then carve your piston. Since the floor is normal rock, the cave-in should work as normal giving you a pool up at the top of the piston.

The thing is, I don't see this being repeatable without carving a whole new piston. And I think I'd rather jus build a pumpstack and reservois. But who knows, maybe someone will figure out a way to make the the piston repeatable.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »

(semi) reusable piston:

1. Use piston, drain magma off to side
2. Dig into piston at level N+1
3. Hollow out base of piston
4. Trim 1 tile off outside of piston from level N+1 to level N+1+(N-1)
5. Refill cistern
6. Move catch ring down (N-1) levels
7. Reuse piston

Basically, keep narrowing the piston each time, using the base as the new cistern.  Depending on how you fill the cistern, you could even make the new cistern taller than the original.  This can be repeated as many times as you have levels in your cistern.  Eventually you'll reach a point where it would be quicker and more efficient to just use pumps, but this is still way dwarfier.  I salute your Dwarven ingenuity!

JMZ

EDIT:  Actually, since you're already using a cistern at the bottom, you could just remove the bottom N layers of the piston, leaving the catch ring in place at the top if you use cptnnick's idea and rebuild the top of the piston 1 layer at a time.  You'd get 5/7 of magma, times N layers, times the cross-section of the piston, minus evaporation, minus the magma in the catch ring. 

JMZ
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:12:07 pm by JmzLost »
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

cptnnick

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Adequate Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

Well, seeing as there's magma on top of the column, couldn't you simply siphon off about 50% of the magma, pour water on top to replace the top-layer, and start the process again?
w @ w

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »

*facepalm*

so.....obvious

You, sir, are no mere adequate observer.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

cptnnick

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Adequate Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 03:16:25 pm »

Well I just started to visualize the project and figured that if the column would get shorter we should add to it.

Pumping the room empty of magma and building artificial could work as well, although simply casting would be faster.
And who wouldn't like to divert a river into the core of his fortress to cast an obsidian pillar to glitch magma up?
I know I would.
w @ w

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »

I want to try this posthaste. I have not made use of the magma sea as yet because the though of a massive pump stack does not excite me much.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »

Post a video of this if you do it.

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 05:54:36 pm »

I think an automatic obsidian caster on the top end is the way to go. Just put a draw bridge full of water above the piston and siphon out magma from the catchment area to another reservois or whatever in a controlled manner. Once you have a 1/7 top layer, dump the water. Rinse and repeat.

Just to clear up: this does work, it just does'nt work if you drop the pillar directly into the magma sea. You need to make a cistern and pump magma into there. While this does sorta defeat the whole "pump free" thing, the useful thing about this method is the relative simplicity of mining this thing out compared to producing 150 iron corkscrews and pipes, as well as the fact that there is no passive FPS drop involved

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »

I just had an idea to add to this one...

When the piston of rock falls into the semi-molten rock, does the *entire* column disappear at once, as a single entity, or does every tile of rock disappear as it hits the semi-molten rock?

If it disappears tile-by-tile, it would be possible to build a water-pump pumping water onto the side of the piston while it is dropping. When the piston reaches the point of the water cannon, magma will appear in the place of what used to be rock. Dwarven alchemy predicts the water and magma will react to form obsidian: Obsidian that will be firmly anchored into the side of the massive piston casing. This single tile of obsidian will then instantly prevent the piston from dropping any further, and if there are hatch-covers surrounding the piston, the magma will remain in place above the piston.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 10:12:24 pm »

I just had an idea to add to this one...

When the piston of rock falls into the semi-molten rock, does the *entire* column disappear at once, as a single entity, or does every tile of rock disappear as it hits the semi-molten rock?

If it disappears tile-by-tile, it would be possible to build a water-pump pumping water onto the side of the piston while it is dropping. When the piston reaches the point of the water cannon, magma will appear in the place of what used to be rock. Dwarven alchemy predicts the water and magma will react to form obsidian: Obsidian that will be firmly anchored into the side of the massive piston casing. This single tile of obsidian will then instantly prevent the piston from dropping any further, and if there are hatch-covers surrounding the piston, the magma will remain in place above the piston.

Whoa...  You wouldn't even need pumps to do that.  You could drop the piston through a lake with a thin floor.  Like this:

Code: [Select]
   X       X
   X XXXXX X
   X XXXXX X
   X XXXXX X
   X XXXXX X
  X  XXXXX  X
 X  XXXXXXX  X
 X           X
X~~~~water~~~~X
XXX=========XXX
  X         X
  X~~~~~~~~~X
  X~~MAGMA~~X
  X~~~~~~~~~X

Note the extra tabs on the bottom of the piston to break the floor 1 tile to either side of the piston shaft, to give the magma room to go up.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13