Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps  (Read 133804 times)

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 01:49:58 am »

OK the map of the repeating one is here. Theres some notes on what stuff does in the points of interest. I left out about 140 levels of boring bits which are just the shaft. I will post a video of it in action whenever i get around to it

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 08:33:49 am »

Updated the OP to have the details for making a repeating pump, bumping thread now.
I can't be bothered making a video of the thing in action since its pretty boring and the fort is having some fps issues (240ish dwarves)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 11:48:15 am »

I don't know you but I think I love you.

This should be added to the wiki!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:17 pm »

Amazing! 10 points to you.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »

This should be added to the wiki!
Done.  8)
wiki:Magma
Quote from: wiki:Magma
(Beware: building the piston directly over the magma sea will NOT work!)
Is it possible (note I did not ask "feasible" or "worth it") to drip water into the magma sea to form obsidian to form a landing zone for your piston?
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 04:59:23 pm »

Nope, the smr eats up the newly formed obsidian tile. Its the whole reason the piston had to be moved from the sea to a dwarf made reservois.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

Is it possible (note I did not ask "feasible" or "worth it") to drip water into the magma sea to form obsidian to form a landing zone for your piston?
Nope, the SMR eats up the newly formed obsidian tile. Its the whole reason the piston had to be moved from the sea to a dwarf made reservoir.

Hmm. Could you drop in a landing shelf for your piston onto a shelf of natural rock?
what about this?
Code: [Select]
.=open space; X=natural stone; ~=red hot MAG-ma; /=SMR

XXXXXXXXXX
X..I..XXXX
X.XXX.XXXX
X.XXX.XXXX
X...X.XXXX
and so on
X...X.XXXX
X...X.XXXX
X...X.....
XXX.XXXXX.
XXX.XXXXX.
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
/~~~~~~~~~
///~~~~~~~
//////~~~~
/////////~
//////////
//////////
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »

How about adding a 7/7 layer of water on TOP of the piston before dropping it. Then, if the magma is teleported directly above (and into) the water layer, you have an instant floor.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

Hmm. Could you drop in a landing shelf for your piston onto a shelf of natural rock?

In cave-ins each tile falls separately, so the shelf would basically break up. All bits over the sea will get munched by the SMR.

How about adding a 7/7 layer of water on TOP of the piston before dropping it. Then, if the magma is teleported directly above (and into) the water layer, you have an instant floor.

I think that would be counter productive to the magma pumping. For each level of the cistern (ie how far the piston drops) you bring up a 7/7 layer of magma. With water already there you would cast that entire 7/7 layer and gain nothing. in fact, the water on the sides of the shaft would cast the rest of the magma once it spreads out. The key to casting is to use as little magma as possible to turn into obsidian. Since one layer of natural rock can bring up 7/7 of magma, but only 1/7 magma is needed to cast obsidian (although I use 2/7 so there are no evaporation mishaps), then you can have a net gain of magma

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:26 am »

Dwarven science at it's finest. I noticed this topic when it started but things have come a long way.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 04:47:43 am »

Out of curiosity, would this work?

Make a cistern as normal into the sea of lava. Then direct a water source into it, covering it up completely (except for inside the cistern of course). Once the thing is covered, can you drop large pistons throught the cover, and make the lava come up the cistern? Or does the lava go up where the piston is at?

Bad diagram

x  x                            xxx
x  x
x  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-Magma-Magma-Magma-Magma-Magma-x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you understand what I'm asking? can the magma be forced up a different place, by dropping a piston elsewhere, as long as it is impossible for magma to travel up near the piston? If so, one could have single cistern, and multiple pistons prepared to use as needed.

If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:41 am »

If I'm understanding the concepts of the piston correctly, which is a suspect assumption at best, I'd say DF would probably atom smash it before it moved the fluid up somewhere other than right above the piston.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 07:24:27 am »

Out of curiosity, would this work?

Make a cistern as normal into the sea of lava. Then direct a water source into it, covering it up completely (except for inside the cistern of course). Once the thing is covered, can you drop large pistons throught the cover, and make the lava come up the cistern? Or does the lava go up where the piston is at?

I see what you are asking but it won't work. I think your idea is based real life common sense, however, dwarven common sense is somewhat different. The piston will not push magma around and force it up the tube coming out of your cistern. The piston takes all liquids that it falls onto and teleports them to the top. It doesnt affect any magma other than that directly beneath it. You could however make lots of pistons and just give them all their own catchment areas.

If I'm understanding the concepts of the piston correctly, which is a suspect assumption at best, I'd say DF would probably atom smash it before it moved the fluid up somewhere other than right above the piston.

I don't think you can ever have a situation where the magma will not have space to go. For every level a column of rock falls, at most 1 level of magma can be brought up. That means that best case the magma can only go as high as the piston was originally, which will always be empty (the rock that was there had to fall to bring the magma up)

kokoszken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »

Well, my question will probably stupid (as I'm not THAT experienced DF player), but anyway:
How the hell does it work? :)

I mean, I get the idea of dropping huge "pillar" into magma, but I don't understand why should I build Hatches/Bridges (?)

And as it was mentioned, am I not able to drop this pillar into magma sea, only to pit/specially dug space ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13