Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Mentioned at Eurogamer  (Read 2504 times)

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Mentioned at Eurogamer
« on: September 13, 2006, 10:26:00 am »

Looks like DF is getting some publicity.

I started a thread for Dwarf Fortress on another gaming forum I frequent, and one of the posters there is a chap who writes for magazines like PC Gamer (UK), and the online magazine http://www.eurogamer.net  

Well, this guy played DF, and loved it to death (as in playing till 4am, loving it).

He's apparently gone on to write an article about DF on the eurogamer site.  I can't check it out at the moment, because it's blocked for me at work.

If anyone can find it and give us a summary that would be cool.  :)

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mentioned at Eurogamer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 10:44:00 am »

I could not find it when I used their search box. Maybe it's not up yet?

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:47:00 am »

I was able to find mentioning of DF on Eurogamer's forums.
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=62788&forum_id=1

EDIT:  Found it!

DF mentioned on front page of Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67553

quote:
While we're talking of slicing [Fired - Ed], Bay 12 Games' Dwarf Fortress is the most violent rogue-like game I've ever played. Rather than curt combat messages, combat is described in detailed blow-by-blow accounts of exactly which implement punctured which internal organ. Characters vomit, fall to the floor, get torn into individual chunks. Hell, my character ended up fighting a cow and left entrails over a three-by-three square. I've never seen ASCII as red before.

Dwarf Fortress also has a hell of a lot more going for it than just being the Soldier of Fortune of the open-source world. If you're a frequenter of internet forums, have a glance around. Chances are, there's a thread on it devoted to Dwarf Fortress already, as its hype wave is picking up. While freely available for download and highly playable, it's still in Alpha. This is a chance to get into something early.

[Screenshot cyclops]

Horses go clipppy-clop. Cyclops don't. Poets cry.

The Rogue-like adventure mode will be familiar to anyone who's had an addiction to Nethack or Zangband, though includes some interesting twists - like the Wrestling skill, which allows you to grapple individual parts of the body, before applying throws or breaking bones. Where it's most developed is the actual Dwarf Fortress mode, which works like a cross between Dungeon Keeper and the Sims. With (er) Dwarfs.

With seven starting tiny-fellas, each with their own personalities, you have to build a sprawling underground community, wrestling with the vagaries of tunnelling, goblinoid invasions and trying to remember what a purple "U" means. Obviously, the biggest hurdle anyone faces is getting used to a game where letters and numbers are used to symbolise everything, but if you're willing to make the leap of faith then Dwarf Fortress will reward you.

(And if you need help making the jump, there's a wiki.)

It'll reward you not just by challenges, but by some of the strangest anecdotes you'll ever hear. I still can't believe the forum post I read about the psychotic, incredibly-skilled leather-crafting dwarf who killed one of his peers after a particularly dark mood took him. Two days later a pair of dwarf-skin boots shows up in the storeroom...

Erk.

Seriously, if you don't want to download it after that particular story, I'm not entirely sure you're on the right website.

[ September 13, 2006: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 11:07:00 am »

The first sentence of his second paragraph baffles me (open source?), and I don't think he's done the depth of Fortress mode enough justice...but hype and exposure are good, no!?

:)

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »

Meh.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 03:00:00 pm »

Probably just another person who mixes up open source and freeware.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »

Oh well, its a start, and not bad coverage for an early(ish) alpha.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »

Another meh. I google for DF once a week, and each time there are more and more new hits. People talk.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 05:27:00 pm »

Well, thanks for finding the time to type meh twice, it was very constructive of you.

People talk indeed, and I thought it would be nice to point out what some of them are talking about.

I'm just celebrating the fact that word's getting around, why does that need a 'meh'?

What a pointless contribution.

[ September 13, 2006: Message edited by: JimBadger ]

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »

it is quite awsome to see that the game's become so noticed in this space of time. quite a feat for a rogue like/whatever you call this.

though, i do wonder how toady feels about the success the game's had since it was released publicly.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 07:14:00 pm »

It's been cool.  I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying themselves, and in turn entertaining us with their funny stories and even sending in donations occasionally.  There's only so much you can do in-game right now, so I won't be surprised if people start getting fatigued, like they do with any game, but if word continues to circulate around at least potential players will know where to go when they want to check back for an update, since we'll still be here.  We appreciate everybody who has been helping out with this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 12:14:00 am »

quote:
What a pointless contribution.

What, more pointless than your "strain" to get it noticed by some Eurogamer guy ? More pointless than his so-called "article" ?

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 12:53:00 am »

More pointless than your stuck-up rambling?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

Yeah man, if you're not excited by the game getting a free shout out, why are you even bothering to post on the forum at all?

I think this is awesome, and more DF fans = more donations to Toady.   More donations to Toady = more of whatever fuel he requires to conjure up marvellous lines of code.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 03:45:00 am »

"Strain" to get it noticed by "Some Eurogamer guy"?

Nope, I just started a thread on a (non-eurogamer) forum that I visit so that the people I know there would become aware of this game.  You know, when you want to tell yer mates about something cool.

"stuck-up ramblings"?  Lol.

Anyways, Toady, you say "there's only so much you can do with it at the moment."  Yeah, but that "so much" is a lot!  There's millions of things to do!  There's people over at the Penny Arcade forum talking about creating mazes of doors, pressure plates, traps etc and then letting the elephants in...muuhahaha  (Well, not that the elephant really needs an invite, eh).  There's people playing succession games, people sharing the same world and competing with each other.  Granted, there's also people building fortresses that look like cocks...but there ya go.

[ September 14, 2006: Message edited by: JimBadger ]

Pages: [1] 2