Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Increasing embark dwarves  (Read 27283 times)

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing embark dwarves
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

OP is outdated for a while now ;) so follow the instructions but replace the current address (0090D664) with your version, I posted some at bottom of this post but it'll likely get outdated again, check last page.

There was a tad derail in runesmith, which made me envious :P  So I'm going to put most of the stuff I know so far here, so I don't feel like a total leech

In version .06 you can change the number of dwarves you start out with by using a memory editing tool like www.cheatengine.org or some other.  Change the byte at 0090D664 to the number of dwarfs you want, if it's lower then 7 it will crash.

Cheat engine instructions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now with my conscience appeased some, I'd like to ask for some things to be cleared up:
When do you need to change the value?
Does it only work in vanilla? (Mods cause stuff to be loaded first, cause the thing to be loaded later?)
Anyone have the values for other versions?  0x517A5D mentioned it (008EB893) but I couldn't get it to work (Then again I'm having troubles with the .06 version)

Addresses:

.24 009187B2
.23 00918192
.22 00918742
.21 00926D02
.19 00922A82
.18 008f87e2
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:55:30 pm by clc02 »
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing embark dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:49:56 pm »

You can also use the newest version of Darius' Friendship enhancer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55713.0.

The latest version allows for modifying not only the number of dwarves on embark, but also the actual race! Using an embark.txt file that comes with the program, you can do the following:

Code: [Select]
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
DWARF
ELF
ELF
ELF
ELF
ELF
COLOSSUS_BRONZE

Activate the hack on the screen where you select an embark location, and you will be able to set off with 10 dwarves, 5 elves (slaves, obviously) and a bronze colossus (the door bouncer).

Only thing the program cannot do is embark with LESS than 7 dorfs, so no hermit challenges. Also, you might want to at least try to embark with DWARF race, or you will lose the game instantly on embark, as DF thinks that there are no dwarves, and thus they all died.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:23 am »

Extreme apologies.  The offset for .08 SDL is 008EB894.  I was off by one.

The offset for .08 legacy is 008E0EF5, but I haven't tested that.

As previously stated, the offset for .06 SDL is 0090D664.

The offset for .06 legacy appears to be 00900A15.  Untested.

I have not yet made any effort to make a utility for this.  I want to start making DFHack modules, but I need to sort out the git SCM tool first.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »

Nice one, it's a pain that you can't have less than 7 dwarves on embark but oh well... It's not a big problem.

Btw, nice tool
with a little patience and meddling with addresses one can have legendary dwarves right at the beginning
(well, with a crap load lot of patience you can have dwarves with legendary+5 in every skill)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:35:00 pm »

I can't believe I just found this, considering I'm the one who started the derail on the Runesmith thread. Thanks a bunch! Now I can start back up my mega-awesome fun for the whole family and all their friends game!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 08:26:20 am »

btw 0x517A5D thanks for the offset. My program uses (indirectly) that.
Also as i stated in some other thread, i think you could embark with six cats and one dwarf.
As for DFHack modules, i dunno this is in .text section and as far as I understand DFHack is .data centered?

Oh and try using Runesmith in skill allocation menu, it should work AFAIK.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:28:40 am by darius »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:20:42 pm »

If you wanted to run a solo, you could just use Runesmith to erase the other 6 dorfs from existence before you unpause the game for the first time...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »

As for DFHack modules, i dunno this is in .text section and as far as I understand DFHack is .data centered?

Yes, most or all of DFHack's games are done in the .rdata or .data sections.  But there is little difference in tweaking the .text section.  You just have to change the section to read-write beforehand and back to read-only after.  I know how to do that; it's just a couple of API calls.  So if DFHack doesn't already have the ability, I can add it.

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 02:05:01 am »

This doesn't work with Ironhand's release.  I'm guessing graphics set throw off the order of loading, as posited elsewhere.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 12:07:28 pm »

I'm going to verify that it does work with Phoebus' pack.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 12:58:25 pm »

for genesis try 049c9fd3. This may be ironhand as it uses that too. I haven't tested this, ive used a very obscure way todo this and I dont know if it is 31.8 compatable.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »

Wait, it doesn't work with my graphics?
That doesn't make any sort of sense, does it?

I didn't change anything within the executable...

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:03:53 pm »

I dont know IF it does, it could be todo with graphics in init turned on for example, or more .txt files or something else.

EDIT:

Just did a search, it should be this. Ussing Genesis on 31.08:

00C5B12b byte is 7 and the assembly program says 00C5B12A does Mov EBP 7 so im guessing its that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:29:16 pm by Coronel_Niel »

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »

008EB894 reads as ?? on the embark screen and as 2 on the site selection screen.
00C5B12b reads as 0 on the site selection screen; I did not test on the embark screen.

I'm using Ironhand's .41.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 04:50:59 am »

Sometimes the OS loads the modules in random locations (e.g my vista does that all the time). So one offset could work on many or not. For that reason the tools are made: they figure out the module offsets and add them too that of the commands. See Address space layout randomization
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7