Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Increasing embark dwarves  (Read 27207 times)

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing embark dwarves
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 09:53:31 am »

thats called DMA, or dynamic memory allocation. Some address's have it, some don't. The tools bypass DMA using some more advanced memory actions or more simply pointers.
 You have to find what changes or access's the address, then find the pointer for that. Rinse and repeat.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 03:09:42 pm »

DMA is different; the actual contents of an executable or dll are never put into memory via DMA.

ASLR exists only on Vista, Windows CE, and Windows 7.  It is an anti-hacking extension.

I would be amazed if cheatengine can't deal with it automatically, but...

To figure out the address you need, you have to
  • subtract 400000 hex from the reported (normalized) offset, e.g. 008EB894 - 400000.  Windows Calculator can do this if you change it into Scientific mode.  The result is your raw offset.
  • find out the base address of the executable module, Dwarf Fortress.exe.  Note that you have to do this every time you start DF, as it will change.
  • add the base address you found in step 2 to the raw offset.  The result is the actual offset for this run of the game.
If I'm not actually using a debugger when I need a base address, I just pop open Process Explorer, highlight the process, open the lower pane (Ctrl-L), switch it to DLL view if necessary (Ctrl-D), find the executable or dll in the list, and double-click it to get a popup that tells me the load address.  It's much faster than this description makes it sound.

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 12:16:24 am »

So, how do I change the number of embark dwarves in Ironhand's .41 or .42?  Is anyone able to test this?  None of the addresses presented thus far work.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 04:03:57 am »

just use Darius's friendship, its much much easier, and allows you to add in creatures as well.

that way you can even have 1 dwarf and 6 dogs without crashing.
Or you could have 13 dwarves, 45 cows, and a bull, resulting in a full out milking operation.

..oh my god I need to make a dairy.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 11:36:56 am »

I guess that sounds good.  I could use a few goblins and maybe a demon or two for my fort...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »

So, how do I change the number of embark dwarves in Ironhand's .41 or .42?  Is anyone able to test this?  None of the addresses presented thus far work.

The .08 SDL address, 008EB894, works.

Tested in a debugger, and tested in CheatEngine.

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 01:40:28 am »

The .08 SDL address, 008EB894, works.

Tested in a debugger, and tested in CheatEngine.

I'm guessing I must have done something wrong.  When, exactly, do I need to bring up that address in Cheat Engine?  Site Selector?  Play Now!/Prepare Carefully screen?  Skill/Item selection screen?  I'm a bit confused....

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:38 am »

It seems to be anytime before you actually get to the skill/item selection screen. I usually change it before I select an embark site, though, just to be safe. I never pick "Play now!" so I don't know about that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:21:45 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 02:59:59 am »

mel, probably the problem is that your OS is Vista or Windows 7.

I am amazed that Cheat Engine can't handle ASLR, but I don't see any mention of it in the help or on the wiki.

You have three four five options.
  • Disable ASLR globally.  This would make your entire operating system and every program you run a bit more vulnerable to being hacked.  I do not recommend it.
  • Hex-edit Dwarf Fortress.exe.  Actually not so hard to do.
  • Do the math described above every time you embark.  I'm willing to walk you through it once.
  • Switch to the legacy executable, and use the address for it.  This is probably the easiest solution, but it may be hard to merge the legacy package into Ironhand.
  • Research programs similar to Cheat Engine; one of them should be able to deal with ASLR.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 07:46:43 am »

DF 31.08 is byte 17E still. Just thought you'd like to know, this is the simplist and easiest way of stopping this.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 11:04:38 am »

just use Darius's friendship, its much much easier, and allows you to add in creatures as well.

Or you could have 13 dwarves, 45 cows, and a bull, resulting in a full out milking operation.

I'd prefer you make a Let's Play! ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

I'd prefer you make a Let's Play! ^_^
I'm unsure the stability of the saves being transfered over to other DF's after editing, and I've never even participated in a Let's Play before.. but I suppose I could try something perhaps, but I don't know where to start
On a side note: my milking operation is massive, I modded goats to be able to be milked and well, my dwarves are making massive ammounts of dwarf cheese. on a near tree-less map.. which forced me to go underground, which resulting in a GCS, a swarm of lost adventurers, and cave crocodile.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »

I've made a trainer for 31.8... if someone would like I can upload it to dffd
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:19:13 pm by jaked122 »

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

Please do!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 06:36:45 pm »

Please do!
you will need to hex edit Dwarf fortress, the page of dffd has the description of the single byte to change.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2651
it does not work with legacy or any other versions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:47:51 pm by jaked122 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7