Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Increasing embark dwarves  (Read 27202 times)

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing embark dwarves
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »

Open Dwarf Fortress. Gen a world, if you haven't already. Find a good embark spot, but before you actually embark, open Cheat Engine. Find "Enter Address Manually". 0x517A5D has supplied the address that you'll need to use, depending on what version of the game you're using. (Example: If you're using the most recent version, .12 SDL, the address is 008F80D8. Don't change any other options.) Where it says 7, double click and change to whatever. There is no difference between 11, 12, 35 (My usual embark party,) and 500. You can now close Cheat Engine, unless you're going to use it for something else, like modding the number of embark points you have. From this point on, the game continues as normal.

Have fun! ^_^

What is the purpose of changing number of embark points?  What does that actually do?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 07:14:30 pm »

You know the menu after you choose "Prepare for the journey carefully" where you get to spend points to pick your supplies, skills and animals?

Embark points is what you're spending. More, obviously, means more supplies and more skilled workers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 10:20:42 am »

Indeed, just opening up Dwarf Fortress.exe in a hex editor and searching for "07 00 00 00 4D E8" did the trick. Only finds one such sequence, and changing the 07 to whatever number your please works; I went for 20, and turned off immigration. <3

Here's a handy hex to decimal lookup table for your convenience.
I.E. For my 20 dwarves I put down "14", as typing 20 would get you 32 dwarves instead.

This is still true for version 0.31.12, FYI.

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »

You know the menu after you choose "Prepare for the journey carefully" where you get to spend points to pick your supplies, skills and animals?

Embark points is what you're spending. More, obviously, means more supplies and more skilled workers.

I'd forgotten those were called points...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 03:57:54 pm »

Untested, looks like
Windows SDL: 008D21D2
Windows Legacy: 008B2C1D

The SDL address cannot be used under Windows Vista or Windows 7, as discussed earlier in this thread.

The previous search pattern is no longer valid; the code has changed and is out of sync between the two versions as well.  It looks like a mess.

(WHY do maximum optimization of a routine that is run AT MOST one time per program execution?  Racial profiling is bad; code profiling is good.)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 08:10:45 pm »

Wow, that was really fast, bro. Well done. Extra cookies for you.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 09:04:29 pm »

It was a lot easier than updating DFHack or Therapist... or my Stone Sense mining utility, which is my next hurdle.

Changing compilers, no problem.  Changing compilers and using maximum optimization on every routine, no fun.  Lern 2 profile, sez I.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »

Windows 31.14 SDL  it appears to be at [00 8D 3D 82]
with a search parameter of [07 00 00 00 EB 08]

someone please confirm this.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:51:18 pm by Boes »
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »

On inspection, that looks like the right address.  Note that your pattern matches two locations in the binary, the right one is the second one.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2010, 08:22:20 pm »

for 31.15 the address appears to be [00 8d 37 82]
with the same search token as the previous version
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 01:59:30 pm »

0.31.16 Win SDL: 008D48B2

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 07:44:19 pm »

Can you explain HOW to use them? i of-course have cheat engine already, but do i just open it, select dwarf fortress, and plop in the adress and change it to anything, but it has to be 7<a (with a being the new value)?

edit: i just figured it out, add the address of "008D48B2" manually, and change the value to anything 7 or above

edit2: if i change it to 40 and freeze it will migrants come to me?

edit3: i changed the value to 40 ad was "surprised" with the results, 2-3 pages of dorfs ready to build a fortress!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:10:23 pm by magistrate101 »

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:39 am »

edit3: i changed the value to 40 ad was "surprised" with the results, 2-3 pages of dorfs ready to build a fortress!

They gonna die of hunger very soon.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 06:29:33 am »

Nah, I've started a fort with 200 dorfs, all fully equipped and fully skilled. The trick is to change your embark points along with your number of dorfs, and you'll be okay.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »

It's a lot more fun to start out with 200 dwarves and only the standard embark points.  Get those farms and stills up STAT.  How many miners and woodcutters can you equip with those points?  Maybe you want a second anvil for some frantic weaponsmithing.  Either way, you won't be spending many skill points.  On the up-side, when they all start dying horribly, they won't have many relationships yet!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7