Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Grouping Items in Bins/Barrles/Bags

(1/1)

The-Moon:
Rather then displaying 200 separate different seeds, Why not just group them all together?Rather thenPig Tail Seeds
Pig Tail Seeds
Pig Tail Seeds
Pig Tail Seeds
Pig Tail SeedsJust[5] Pig Tail Seeds
Or
Pig Tail Seeds [5]   :)lets say you only want to un-forbid one or 2 of them.When you forbid or claim. It just makes a new stack...([2] Pig Tail Seeds)Also, This could work for rocks as well.When you move over a stack after pressing (k)It shows you how many stones you have, Grouped together.[55]Marble
[3] Gems
[30] HematiteLets say you want 25 Marble to be Forbidden[30]Marble
([25]Marble)
[3] Gems
[30] HematiteDump would work the same way, but there would also need to be a Dump and Forbid stack also. Much better then 100s of rock's listed.Are there plans already to do something like this? I don't see it as a hard thing to code in. Be a nice feature to have. Save me a lot of time and i'm sure a lot of other peoples time.
IN Fact.I don't know how toady has his code setup currently.But it seems as if theres 100 rocks on a tile. Then there are 100 seprate rock's being stored in memory. Rather then them just being grouped together in a few variables.Then again maybe he is grouping them already, but he just chose to display all 100 rocks that happen to be in a tile.If he changed this it could save some cpu, maybe reduce memory also.
Another good thing that would come from this. You would also be able to tell how many rocks are on a tile. Or how many seeds come in a bag that your buying from a trader.[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

Pyro93735:
I'd assume that the reason this isn't currently implemented is because it's not currently possible to form stacks of items. You can have stacks, like 5 turtle bolts, but it's currently impossible to add 2 and 3 turtle bolts to go back up to a stack of 5. As such, stuff has to be stored as separate items. It's slated to change somewhere in the future..[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Pyro93735 ]

Align:
quote:Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>lets say you only want to un-forbid one or 2 of them.When you forbid or claim. It just makes a new stack...([2] Pig Tail Seeds)</STRONG>How would you do this?

Hague:
Assuming that an object occupies the same tile, simply cull the original and make a new one with the combined totals (assuming they are the same quality) There shouldn't need to be dwarf interaction when combining items, it can simply be a function of viewing the item description. An option (c)ombine sets the cursor to allow designation of multiple objects. When an object is selected with the enter key, it greys out any inapplicable units that don't match. The rest are then selected. The selected objects are then combined into one stack when c is pressed again. The trouble comes when you deal with items that have timers for decaying. The ideal set up would be to get the mean decay time and combine them together.The opposite, (s)plit, merely cuts the item stack size in half leaving one stack 1 unit larger in the case of odd numbers. To make smaller groups, continue to split the remaining stacks. Not elegant but effective. To organize stacks, set up separate stockpiles by quality and allow items like ammo and coins to limitlessly occupy one stockpile space. Considering that rocks weight 8000+ units whereas bolts weigh significantly less allows for bolts to stockpile infinitely without sacrificing a lot of reality.[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Hague ]

The-Moon:
quote:Originally posted by Pyro93735:
<STRONG>I'd assume that the reason this isn't currently implemented is because it's not currently possible to form stacks of items. You can have stacks, like 5 turtle bolts, but it's currently impossible to add 2 and 3 turtle bolts to go back up to a stack of 5. As such, stuff has to be stored as separate items. It's slated to change somewhere in the future..Its only impossibly because toady hasen't coded it in yet.
--- Quote ---Originally posted by Align:
[qb]How would you do this?</STRONG>What do you mean exactly?How to code it. Or what would be displayed during game play?[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version