Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underwater ice volcano  (Read 5828 times)

BrutalNoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater ice volcano
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »

I just created a world and was amazed to find a volcano under the ice of a frozen ocean =O. The only downside is that the volcano is in the very bottom left of the region tile and the closest land is far away. But anyways here is the worldgen info as well as some screen shots.

I have not played it through till high summer, but it says that it is in a temperate region so perhaps the ocean will melt and cause extreme lag/awesome.

The actual embark site is a 3 level thick ice sheet with a volcano at the bottom lefthand corner of the map. There is a huge hole over the top and the sides are just ice until the rim of the volcano.
I think it is time for a sub oceanic base?

(tileset is mayday)

Worldgen info (For v 0.31.08)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater ice volcano
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:38 pm »

Tell us what happens if that ice melts  :o

BrutalNoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

What happens when the ice melts is cataclysmic lag followed by a bit less lag followed by a capped volcano. =D

The effect of the water rushing in and turning into steam is quite awesome, but it gets me to about 2 fps. =/

Edit: Just trapped my dwarves under the surface of the ocean. The ocean melts during mid spring, it took about 10 mins of my computer chugging on the melting ice before simulation started again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:49:05 pm by BrutalNoodle »

BrutalNoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:24:39 pm »

Now with pictures!

Here is an overview of the entire ocean draining into the volcano. It has been going for around half an hour now at about 2 fps and it isn't capping totally yet. A whole z level of the 3 deep ocean has been drained and it is working on the others. When it settles down totally I will upload the save.

Overview of entire ocean
!Danger! large image ~1mb

The inside of the volcano is just a huge waterfall rushing into the magma sea with a huge mixture of steam/magma mist/obsidian blocks falling downwards.

Inside the magmatube

Edit: Here is the save,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0R2NSDDK

took all night before it settled down. Almost the entire lave tube is filled with water with ice on top. If you turn off temperature for a while, floor it off, and pump out the water you will have the most epic underwater volcano base ever. I have started to preform this, but the lag! And with a smaller embark region I was unable to get any supplies =/.

I just noticed that my fortress name is appropriately "Basement Quake"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:47:11 am by BrutalNoodle »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:22 pm »

You are a truly blessed to have witnessed such a magnificent scene. If only it could be simulated in high-quality 3D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:57:11 am »

I think we need to steal a supercomputer from, I dunno, NASA or MIT so we can run this event faster. They'll understand.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:49 am »

I bet that the FUN is wondering just what the hell the surface is up to right now. All of your world's sea life might be facing air-drowning. This is more important that keeping the ISS alive. Make with the computer theft!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:16:20 am »

Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting to see this event.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 12:09:01 pm »

Do you think that the ocean will freeze up again. Or are you just stuck down there now.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »

Weird, my game is not liking this save. I'll just gen it.

It has started raining catsplosions.

My ice is thawing but my game is freezing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:34:47 pm by AtomicPaperclip »
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »

That is pretty sweet to bad it's not closer to the land you could construct some sort of bridge to it.
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »

Cave-in:
You have discovered a great magma sea!
You have discovered raw adamantine!
You have discovered a magma pool!

0o
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 07:29:01 pm »

So the problem with this that once the ocean thaws your framerate goes to crap.  It's funny to watch once but it takes too long to cap off (if it ever does; I lost patience).  So in order actually do something with this map I turned temperature off until I engineer a solution.  I've embarked with 10,000 dwarf bucks worth of pump building supplies to engineer an artificial eruption.  With the magma above the water level, I can turn temperature back on and the interaction will form an obsidian wall around it to keep more water from falling in.  I'll just keep having the volcano erupt continuously and my dwarves can carve a fort out of the obsidian island.

There's an interesting anomaly about this magma tube:  it doesn't connect to the magma sea!  That could actually be a good thing:  I could pump magma from the magma sea into the tube without just creating a circulation.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 07:32:16 pm »

I'm not sure you even can circulate the magma sea. I think it has some sort of infinate magma supply, despite the existance of the FUN.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 09:02:43 pm »

I'm not sure you even can circulate the magma sea. I think it has some sort of infinate magma supply, despite the existance of the FUN.
dunno if this got fixed, but on my last fort(.05) I tried to pump magma from the sea, it ended up raising the level of the magma 3 z levels, it's like infinite comes out, but can't go back....
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2