Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fortress of ice  (Read 1688 times)

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fortress of ice
« on: December 15, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Well I open this topic for get sugestions for my new fortress that I started to make complety of Ice. Is posible to make a fortress complete made of ice in a glacial map is the ice going to melt in the summer
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fortress of ice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

If the ice melted in the summer, would there be a glacier?

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

Yes that is true I only asking because I never played ina  glacial map and is there any kind of danger for my dwarves in a haunted glacial map

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

Not that much more than anywhere else, actually..

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

Well thanks for the help please give me some sugestions for prevent that my dwaves freeze to dead or die from starvation

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: darksergio ]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

I'm running a saltwater glacial coastline map currently, but that doesn't have the issues that normal glacier maps do.  Can't help you much there.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

oh well dont worry I am running a fresh water glacial map whit a mapma vent near of my starting site is posible to melt a part of the glacial using the magma for get fresh water

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

im on a freezing map at the moment making a simple fence out of ice. The ice here never melts, if water is exposed to the outside air then it will freeze instantly.

Lakes and such covered in snow remain liquid, as soon as you channel the surface snow away the lake beneath freezes into mineable ice. Since lakes replenish once a year or something its a convenient source of ice.

If you cover the ice and make the tile it sits in "indoors" then when you carve out the ice or shape it in any way it will immediatly melt. So you can pile boulders up into ice walls and buildings but you will need to make stairs out of wood and such for anything inside.

Edit: Oh and the only time you can not mine surface ice is in the summer, even though the ice is solid its still warm enough to melt immediatly.

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »

that sound a little dangerius because it will flood the lower levels of my fortress were my dwarves are sleeping the five first levels of my fortress are make complety of ice the rock layer start were I finded a magma vent whidouth breaching it that was the doom of my last fortress

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: darksergio ]

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

Is it possible to make ice crafts, etc?

If the answer is yes, then some elves are gonna get ripped off this spring.

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

I think that is not posible to make Ice crafts but I still need to confirm it because i have a lot of stone left in my fortress but the ice can be used for make any building now I am going to test is posible to a forge complety made of ice

Jefepato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

I tried recently to make a glacier fortress, because the wiki had given me the impression that ice could be used like stone (until it melted).  Apparently this wasn't the case; my mason's workshop didn't recognize that it had anything available.

It's a shame; that would have looked awesome.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jefepato:
<STRONG>I tried recently to make a glacier fortress, because the wiki had given me the impression that ice could be used like stone (until it melted).  Apparently this wasn't the case; my mason's workshop didn't recognize that it had anything available.

It's a shame; that would have looked awesome.</STRONG>

This is just a guess - but did you look at [z]->Stone and see if Ice is in there to be marked for use?  Might work like the economic stones.

Jefepato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 11:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by erendor:
<STRONG>This is just a guess - but did you look at [z]->Stone and see if Ice is in there to be marked for use?  Might work like the economic stones.</STRONG>

I checked.  Ice wasn't there (neither was "water," as the game calls chunks of ice).

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »

You can only use ice for (b)uilding (C)onstructions like up/down stairs, floors, walls, fortifications, ramps.