Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 93

Author Topic: They told me I could be anything...  (Read 71464 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They told me I could be anything...
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 08:50:33 am »

"Wha? No, no more death . . ."
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:10 am »

'Whatever you say, hon.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 09:53:12 am »

"I..." You start, feeling the words get stuck in your throat as you try to tell this woman you have no desire to perpetuate this, to resume this position as the 'great destroyer', no wish to do what is being requested of you. Your hand goes to the sword, prompting a smile, followed by a frown from this woman as you cast the sword carelessly aside, shaking your head as you sit upright, as you take a deep breath. "I do not wish to kill you. You are Love, without you I would not be half the man I was, I would-"

Her finger comes to your lips as she shakes her head sadly, a deep sigh escaping her lips as she reaches once more for that sword. "I am not Love, you did not battle this far to find and destroy her. I am Anxiety, I am what makes you falter, I am that what you wished would never hamper your commitment to actions, that what makes you fear overly for your safety when your ability would keep you safe."

She laughs, a laugh both sad and proud at the same time as she stands. You cannot help but feel that this is not adding up, that this is some kind of delusion, a feverish dream induced by the squalor you have been kept in, the injuries you have taken. If this is just a dream, then it couldn't possibly hurt to do as she asks you tell yourself, but at the same time... What if this was more than a dream, what if killing her would rid you of part of yourself?

Can you truely trust everything that you are told in a place like this?

This woman makes your head hurt, you tell yourself as you lay back on the grass, gazing up at the sky, brilliant and blue, with the most beautiful yellow sun you have ever seen...

A sun that seems to grow dim...

Fading...

Sickly...

The sky turns from blue to grey, and a faint voice echoes out as a hand shakes you by the shoulder, that familiar pain taking hold once more.

"Sir, I must appologise for the delay on the food, but it took that sot longer than expected to drink himself into a stupor." Echoes the words of a familiar voice in your ears. Are you dreaming still, or is this the real world you ask youself, knowing that you would name this man Compassion and your tormentor Rage if it was the case.

"It is a pity that the food has long gone cold, but... I was able to scrounge up what you desired at least." Comes his words as you sit up. The lesson with the tray from earlier seems to have been learned, as the meal sits atop a chair near your bed... a bed... did you have a bed before?

You cannot entirely recall.

"Thank you... I... Am I... Awake?" You ask, prompting a soft chuckle from the man as he watches you take the tray, sitting on the chair that the tray had prior occupied as he speaks. "I am afraid so. Would it hurt so much if you were dreaming about all this?" he asked, pausing, twirling a finger in his thin moustache as he did so. "Well, unless you're delerious and numb to the pain that is, but you do not look like you suffer any malady of the sort, just some fairly ugly bruising and a few cuts. Nothing that won't heal with a little time."

You nod slightly, almost ravenously starting to eat the food before you as you clutch the tray possessively.

Were you truely that hungry?

A few long moments pass as you wolf the food down, the thin man before you mopping at his brow with a handkerchief, when he freezes. Footsteps, heavy and uneven echo down the corridoor, followed by a voice, belonging to that portly bully. "I know yer-awake y-fuckin' wanker, 'n ah... ahm goin' t'beat t'truth out'o yer worthless 'ide if it kills ye." comes that voice, slurring, drunken.

The thin man looks around, almost frantically as if trying to find a means of escape, but it's too late. Far too late. As the balding bully turns the corner, he stops, staring stupidly at you, at the thin man, at the food in your hands and he screams. Almost unintelligable are the strings of profanity he screams as he bursts into the cell, grabbing the thin man, tossing him aside the room and smacking the tray from your hands.

You can make out words like cur, dog, traitor as the fat man turns on the man who had shown you kindness, kicking him as he huddles in the corner, cowering in fear, before he turns, facing you as he adjusts his belt, his expression murderous as he staggers towards you.

You know you need to act, but how?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 11:53:18 am »

Go for the eyes. NOW!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28:03 pm »

Go for the groin. NOW!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 12:47:46 pm »

You know that you cannot let this sit any longer, that this man, this thug, this bully has to be put in his place. Every fiber of your being screams as you act quickly, quicker than you should have been able with the fog that clouds your mind, with the bruising that covers your body. From atop the bed you roll, grabbing a handful of the damp soil, dust, filth that covers the floor, almost gracefully springing to your feet as your knees make contact with the hard surface that is your cell's floor. The portly man is barely able to look shocked at this sudden movement, before a glob of this foul feeling mixture hits him square in the mouth.

He gags, coughs and splutters as what you aimed for his eyes initially hits the back of his throat, but you're not done. You're far from done. You're on fire, burning with rage, the one person here who has shown you compassion has taken a kicking from this brute soley for bringing you food. Without thinking you lash out, sending the fat man reeling as you catch him with a stunning right hook, blood running from his lip as he staggers, before he attempts to strike you back, his clumbsy blow swinging wide as you dance back.

"I am Eurochkoles, he of a thousand years!" you scream, one blow aimed for his gut as another seeks the mans face. Caught offguard as he is, he fails to do more than stare at you wide eyed in shock as his hands hover half way up his chest, his arms unable to move either way in time to stop those two rapid blows as they send him staggering back further.

The blood that splashes against the mans shirt now is his own as a rapid flow of it runs from his nose, while your hands move ready held before your face as you wait for him to take the bait. His arms move to partially cover his face and body as he staggers back, only for your one foot to swing upward, though the sound of your blow striking with such force is drowned out by his cry of agony as he stumbles. The fallen man sobs as he cradles his face and groin, begging for mercy as he cowers in fear, too afraid to make eye contact with you now.

You can feel it coming back to you, you've always known how to defend yourself unarmed, but what was it you excelled at most? Brawling? Grappling? Something else?

You have new problems now though, what are you going to do now you've taken things this far?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 12:56:55 pm »

You were always a master marksman, both with pistol and rifle.

Get out of the cell with the other man.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »

Knock the man out, but don't kill him.

You are adept in close-combat with grappling and disarming. You also have considerable skill with polearms.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 01:49:54 pm »

You were always good at making your strikes count hitting "where it hurts", weak spots like eyes, pressure points. You can take down a raging elephant in one strike unarmed.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »

You were always a proficient dancer.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »

Locks, holds, breaks, the clench.
Kick boxing and Ju jitsu style combat.

Help Compassion to his feet gently and make sure that he's okay. Then haul Rage up and tell him that you. Don't. Remember. But that you'll try to answer his questions.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »

((i'd have loved to incorporate more of your posts suggestions, but, many of them came in as i finished up writing this part up.))

Yes... You remember now. You're a marksman, Through the ages nothing has been more deadly in your hands than a ranged weapon. You can pick them all up, bows, slings, rifles, and quickly get a feel for them, quickly get used to the way that you need to handle them. Being good at brawling is all well and good, but you've never liked to take an injury that you can avoid, never liked the downtime related to a serious injury.

No injury has ever been able to kill you yet though, so you know you've been doing something right.

The other man, the only one who has shown you compassion so far has propped himself up now, looking shocked at the apparent easy that you, a man covered in cuts and bruises has defeated the blubbering fatman. As you reach down toward him he raises a hand, shaking his head as he does so. "No, friend... I know what you are about to do, and I will not stop you, but I cannot come with you. It is my duty to queen and country to watch those held in these cells, and, well..." he pauses, taking a deep breath as he looks down at the sobbing form in the middle of the cell.

"It was such a horrible blunder that this drunken sot allowed a prisoner to escape, and worse still that we never had a solid means of identifying this prisoner, but one thing's for certain, if they put one such as I in charge, there will be a great deal more respect and understanding expected of those that tend to the inmates."

He breathes in sharply as he climbs to his feet, kicking the drunken oaf once, then again, before he looks up at you. "He won't remember a thing, given how much he has had to drink... As for your escape.. It's a pity that you were so... easily... able to scale one of the old manhole shafts leading down here, and escape like that."

You bow your head to the man as you duck out of the cell, looking both ways down the dreary, pipe lined tunnel, bars set into the side of it, giving what you estimated to be at least ten cells on this block. In the center of the ceiling you could see the shaft mentioned, one that was just out of reach normally, but with something to climb on you would have no trouble. A quick trip back to your cell yeilded a chair, a chair was all you needed to jump, to take hold of the first rung. The first rung was the first step to freedom, and free you would be.

Hand hold after hand hold...

Hauling yourself up slowly, until your feet were able to meet the inside of the shaft. With that you went upward rapidly, reaching the underside of the manhole cover, twisting it slowly, peering out from beneath it... To see the blackness of night, to feel cool air against your face, the fainted hint of lamplight from around a corner telling you that you were almost there. You almost slithered from that hole, carefully setting the cover back down, ducking towards the alleyways before you gazed skyward.

The moon and stars were partially obscured by heavy clouds, but the stars glimmered like diamons in that inky tapestry. It was like seeing a midnight blanket, welcoming you back to the world above, filling you with more hope than you'd had in a long time. You had no idea how long you had been in that prison, but now you were free.

Free.

There was no more beautiful word that you could think of at this moment, all aches and pains you had felt prior had faded to insignifigance with the euphoria you felt at this moment. You could have danced the night away, to the sound of fiddles in your mind had it not been for the fact that you knew that you should keep moving.

You were free, but you had no money, no possessions, nothing but the clothing on your back.

You skulked along the back alleys as the sound of an airship flying low came overhead, as streetlamps burned gas to illuminate the roads outside your refuge, as contraptions running by the power of steam clanked away in the distance.

Now you were free, you needed a plan, a direction to go from here. This place was unfamiliar, and yet nothing could quench that feeling of hope you had right now.

Spoiler: "Stats" (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »

Straight ahead then. Sooner or later, the feel of the place will make itself clear.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »

Onward... Onward, ever forward sounded good at this point. If only to put distance between yourself and the prison facility. It didn't matter if you had no idea where you happened to be, as long as where you ended up was better than where you were. Foot fall after foot fall, the slow progress from here to there dragged onward as you breathed in the cool night air, brickwork buildings all about. While pipes rattled here and there against walls, nightlife chittered away on the abandoned streets, all was peaceful. There wasn't a soul around apart from you it seemed, as if at night everybody had travelled indoors to get off the streets.

The air stank of city life, of moisture, sewage and pollution.

You couldn't have been happier to smell city life.

And yet...

It was only the sound of a bawdy tavern filled with boisterous drunks that pieced the city air with any sign of life at night, a sign that you took to say that you could stop hiding in the alley ways, that you could get onto the cobbled streets and walk down the paved roads without fear. Walk them you did, your head held high as you strode onward, looking like you were half dead yet feeling like a new man.

Dogs howled in the distance as you made your way onward, as the buildings thinned and gave way to a great winding river splitting the city in two, murky waters reflecting the half of the moon visible in the cloudy sky, dark shapes floating in the water. Shapes that were likely barrels, boats and barges. Even with your eyes having adapted well to the light the night sky had to offer, it was hard to make out anything around you.

And yet...

It was all so very wrong. You didn't know this place, but as you saw a vast tower looming over the other side of the river with the moon outlining its silhouette, you knew where you were.

London.

It made sense now why the term 'for queen and country' had been used by the staff inside the prison. Knowing where you were, wasn't much help however if you didn't know how you were going to survive here. You needed a means to make money, some fresh clothing, a roof above your head. For now though, you resolved that you would walk a little further and find an abandoned riverside shack.

as you walked onward looking out for a suitable looking shack as you dropped down to a riverside path, you considered your options. You could apply for a menial job, as there was no doubt no shortage of labour in these parts for those who would get stuck in with jobs such as cleaning the stables, hauling wood and the like. While such a job wasn't great, it would likely pay by the day if so arranged, and if it paid by the day, you could put food in your stomach.

There was always the less assured path, you could rely on a job that required mental finess...

What was it that you had mentally always excelled at? Had it been tinkering, had it been related to mathematics, or had it been something not quite marketable as a money making skill?

No matter you told yourself as you glanced into a likely looking shack, one with half broken windows and cobwebs glistening wetly in the moonlight... You had found a place to crash for the night, and now all you had to do was decide what course of action you would pursue when you awoke.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 04:33:54 pm »

I made ways to kill, didn't I? New, inventive ways to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death. and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time, but I don't want to inflict harm anymore . . .

Wake up in the morning and try to find a job.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 93