Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Webswords: The Bloody Ocean  (Read 2246 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Webswords: The Bloody Ocean
« on: June 24, 2010, 05:49:19 pm »

Webswords

Dallpaddals:And so it begins! We set out on this journey of Dwarven Science and where do they send us! To the edge of the Bleeding Ocean! Farther inland is to heavily contested they said, safety is our highest priority they said. Well Confound IT! We be Dwarves! Not rubbery humans! Not Twiggy Elves! When things need doing we do them! To hell with safety or the consequences or the cost!

With that let me fill you sorry lot as to what we are doing here in the first place. We shall be building a foundation for all dwarven kind! This Place! Webswords will be our beach head! on our journey to the center of the world

Inchmansion: What I meant was... well why are we here? the magma pipe is over there on the mainland...
Shincloister: I dont know, Im not the boss here you are
Inchmansion: What?!?! but im just a jewler... why would I be in charge?
Shincloister: Beats the hell out of me, but it looks like your off to a fine start landing us on the wrong damnable island.
Inchmansion: but you were the one with the map... and the plans and the training and... and... *sob*
Coloreddye: Oy, cheer up mates, there's work to do.

-------

So for those who cant tell from the VisFort Image I am back stepping and using 40d. While I work out how to get the new 2010 military to do anything I want them to without starving to death or murdering everyone with their mood swings, I am dialing it back a bit to 40d and decided to take on a personal challenge. While many have tried such things as dwarven space programs and such this is the oposite, I will send my dwarves to the Core. And no the "Core" is not the other side of HFS but something else entirely that will be reviled at the end of this story, or well probably sooner and will be built upon by whoever is following along.

Curent dwarves: -available- -Named- -Dead-
Arc Coloreddye Miner
Lafiel Shincloisters Mason
Druid Inchmansion Jewler/expleader
Barbarossa Bannerdimpled butcher/clthsmaker
Diablous Dallpaddels Fisherman
Imp Clearhall Carpenter/herbalist
KJGJ Relicclose Woodcutter/cook

Migrant wave 1
Boltinked Carpenter
Helmtranced doting wife
Roadclams insolent child
Archacted Farmer
Workrubs Farmer
Staffsoldier Mysterious Miller
Kissworks Animal Trainer
Abbythrows Peasant turned mason
Wheelswebbed Peasant turned minor
Taxedlash Craftsdwarf

Migrant wave 2
Targetworks Fish Dissector
Basementgale Recruit
Shipsears Trapper
Doorwhispered Peasant
Towersoothed Miner
Actlashed wife
Atticwoods WoodCutter
Townriddled FurnaceOp
???Craftlance??? Engraver (Probably Dead)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:45:29 pm by Bloogonis »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Re: Webswords: The Bloody Ocean
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:50:06 pm »

Grabing post 2 just in case  ;)

Should I build a bridge over these troubled waters? or should a tunnel beneath them?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:21:29 pm by Bloogonis »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »

Nibble nibble...

Hrm, if I read your legend right, Clearhall is available.  Mine please, if so.

I vote, tunnel under.

Coloreddye: Oy, cheer up mates, there's work to do.
Clearhall: Your work to do, you mean.  Get digging.  I'm going to see if there's herbs along this stretch of beach.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »

Do both! For great justice  8)

I'd take the mason. I wonder where do you plan to get...

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:22:46 pm »

I'll take Dallpadals. I vote we make a bridge!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

KJGJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:26:54 pm »

I'll have Relicclose if you don't mind. And I vote tunnel, far more dwarven like.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:49:53 pm »

I'd like Inchmansion, and I too vote tunnel, less chance of a watery grave.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:55:25 pm »

I'll take Bannerdimple.

I vote we make a covered bridge. That way it's both.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 12:04:10 am »

And we are off, dig dig dig... hey didnt the survey team say there was an aquifer here? well their loss our gain I suppose.

Down by the boat the main dwarven group stood around uncomfortably as the water splashed against their chests This coastal living would take some getting used to. The local foxes seam to enjoy it for some reason.

Oof, the little Blighter just tried to bite me... well his pelt will come to good use at some point I suppose. We should look into catching a few of them, they are the nicest red even without all the blood on them.

Inchmansion and Lafiel were still having it out about who was actually at fault for everything that was going on when the strangest thing happened. A lone merchant rose from the surf.

He said the boat couldn't reach our Depot so he sent it on ahead and swam the last leg. I don't think any of us said a word when he stood there for about a week on the beach before giving us all a satisfied nod and disappearing once again beneath the waves. Barbarossa swears to me that Imp must have found some powerful stuff on his foraging runs and slipped it into the fish.

Arc and Lafiel seem to have struck out on a mighty competition about how to connect to the actual intended destination. Arc demands that we go under and Lafiel, well is being the same noncommittal Shincloister saying she was fine with either rout, but suddenly changed her toon when Diablous uproariously declared that "We Must Build a Mighty Dwarven water circumnavigation device!" after we explained it to Inchmansion in more layman's terms he ok'ed the costs but we still arn't sure if he understood and the event was off.

Our first labor infusion has arrived. 3 farmers, one of which Staffsoldiers sports a nasty scar over his left eye and doesn't seem to know or care much about milling at all. Kissworks an animal trainer, looking into putting the local wildlife to our own devises. Skilless Twins Abbythrows and Wheelswebbed eagerly sign up for masonry and Mining respectively. Boltinked brought his whole family along, I just hope his wife and son don't prove to be to much of a drain on our meager resources. that brings us to Taxedlash a craftsdwarf that epitomizes mediocrity.

Imp: Whos damned cat is this? This is a delecate ecosystem, a breading pair will devastate the entire ecosystem! again I as...
Staffsoldiers: Its mine. Got a problem with that?
Imp: Nope... just, good to know... I'll be on my way then...
Staffsoldiers: Hrmph

---
gah lost a lot of work half way through due to a power outage but things seamed to play out the same way the second time through if not at the same time. Only thing I regret losing is A Woodburner migrant named Hairytrumpet. there would have been so many bad jokes now lost to the universe.

I hope your right about that watery grave thing, I will be going for both in tandem, but Im worried about that aquifer I was warned about.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:13:38 am by Bloogonis »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:39:24 pm »

Both miner and mason work with blazing speed! slamming blocks into place and clearing stone, well Blocks were moving a bit slower then expected.

And the tunneling was hitting snags, being partially sand, and hitting wet walls a short way in bringing progress to a crawl.

The cages are a success! we have caught our first set of Foxes, The red fir covered hides will become a staple of the fortress!

Perseverance is one of the most dwarven traits and after steady work the tunnel at least was complete and the mainland was opened up to us. The land is wild, no one has ever been here to tame this place. We can fix that cant we! Down with these trees double quick!

Migrants! our second infusion cam much sooner then expected supplying us with able bodies that should help us progress nicely when it comes to building the fort proper and the Launch structure.

-

Huuuunger

Likot Shipspears the trapper was laughing loudly with his new friend from the journey Tulon Doorwhispered as they made their way to the cliff that these dwarves considered their meeting area. His hopes for his new life all positive, the wars of the Mountainhome left far behind blinded by hope he didn't see the large creature emerging slowly from the shadows of a nearby cliff.

I Huuuunger

The Cougar leaped out onto the unsuspecting trackers back mercilessly tearing at his limbs Tulon vainly attempts to pry the beast off of him to no avail, the clang of the alarm rises over the Outpost, but with no military to speak of and the most of the current occupants on the mainland the rush to save the wounded is on.

You will be my pray

Tulon rushed up the hill to gather what help he could find, running into Towersoothed and his wife Logem Actlash. Hefting his pick the three set off.
Deep in the Outpost Basmentgale rushed to find anyone who could be of help, finding Arc and Wheelswebbed rushing down a long expansive corridor at the outposts base. They rush to the surface just in time to see a head fly through the air too land in the surf, beach drenched in blood, three dwarves lay dead on the ground, another simply knelt in the surf weeping. The three charged ahead, Basmentgale attempts to grapple with the beast, and though his method was unorthodox and caused him grievous injuries, it provided the opening Arc needed to drive his pick home and end this nightmare. Towersoothed continued to sob as Logems head bobbed solemnly in the surf.

While everyone collected them selves and prepared the bodies of the fallen one of the new dwarves looked around him.
Townriddled: Where is Craftlance? he was right behind me as we aproched the outpost.
No one knew. It was like he had just disappeared, he hadn't been among the fallen on the beach.

A Large fox with a horrible case of mange stared on from a nearby cliff, a look of ferocity in his eyes, a dwarven finger in his mouth.

You will all die

With the end of a tumultuous autumn comes a new horizon, our outpost is still incomplete, as we have no drinkable water as to treat any wounded. We have made it to the mainland and have our gate to the core at our fingertips. Towersoothed is quite upset and Basmentgale is in a bad way, I hope he pulls through.

_____
The tunnel is sort of ugly, being 80 percent sand, and the bridge is only half way done. That cougar caught me by surprise, and it made me even more annoyed that my little military was refusing to spar, and in the end didn't even show, had to grab the emergency squad "The Constructive Hands" to do the work.

KJGJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:50 pm »

Do you have a barracks set up? They won't spar without a barracks.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 05:26:24 pm »

"Dont worry Basmentgale, the waters almost running, you are looking a lot better, you came in here with 5 broken bones and a mangled leg, now only the leg and arm still need to heal." Arc hurries through the tunnel carrying the Oak block and filters needed to desalinate the water on the mainland. He slaps them to gether huridly and begins pumping, the small reservoir fills almost instantly. Quickly he dunks a bucket in the water and rushes back for the tunnel only to be stopped by Druid Inchmansions.
"Im sorry Arc, we were to late. He died a heros death."

Winter comes, its biting cold freezes the many ponds on the mainland, including the new freshwater reservoir, there is more then enough alchohol to keep everyone sated though. snow blankets the landscape that is quickly becoming clear of trees. The wolves stalk the depths of the wilds spooking the Woodcutters as they go about their business. Another cougar prowls near the outpost, however this time Staffsoldeirs takes charge and with the help of the miners makes short work of it, leading with a resounding punch to the felines nose.

The tunnel opening is now secured with a gate house, and the bridge is 2/3 finished. With the biting cold subsiding another sign of hope arises, our first litter of Fox pups are born, Kissworks is overjoyed.

__
Boring winter, full of Lafiel taking frequent breaks slowing the Project down even more, not to mention the interuptions by the adorable wild foxes that apparently scare the crap out of dwarves.

The training thing got fixed, it was realy my screw-up, I had forgotten completely about the Active/off duty toggle :-[ woops, Staffsoldiers grabbed Craftslash and beat the crap out of him for the remainder of autumn, and so they both ended up being fight worthy when the time came, the fox leather armor and shields probably made a big difference too.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 01:07:48 pm »

How big is that embark location? That looks huge
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 01:13:51 pm »

I'll take Basementgale. Turn him into a hermit, if you're able. That lives inside the bridge (I'm implying you make it out of constructed stuff.). Of course, let the dorfs heal him before he leaves.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 01:43:47 pm »

I'll take abbeythrows. I'll be just a meager mason. called "tux"
Meowth! That's right!
Pages: [1] 2