Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's put pressure on Toady ;p  (Read 1899 times)

Sestze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's put pressure on Toady ;p
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 03:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by lachek:
<STRONG>I <3 World Building</STRONG>

I agree wholeheartedly. The almost infinite replayability of this game is what brings me back time after time.

Nethack and other Roguelikes offer another dungeon, or another "level". Dwarf Fortress offers entirely unique worlds, with what feels like living creatures, despite them being nothing but ascii representations.

Nethack offers moments where you're saying to yourself "Why am I fighting this leocrotta on level seven of this dungeon after 15,000 moves for the fifth time? Sure, it's a new level in that I've never seen it before, but it's still permeated by similarity." In Dwarf Fortress, you know why you're being attacked by lions and alligators in the middle of nowhere. You know why goblins are aerating your skull with a crossbow when you "visit" one of their fortresses.

You can make a so-called "base" in Nethack, but after you ascend with that character, the amount of time you put into it will be lost forever. In Dwarf Fortress, even if you succeed entirely, and eventually abandon your fortress, it's a permanent fixture of the terrain for the rest of time. Not only that, the effort you put into making legendary artifacts and weaponry will still not be wasted, as an adventurer can swing by and heft that blessed bucket of tin with bands of tin that has menacing spikes of tin.

I like the subtle interaction between World-Building, Adventure mode and Fortress mode, and that's the reason I play this game. The ability to create an entire world's history at nearly the click of a button is nothing to be sneered at.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 04:55:00 am »

Yeah, it's fortress mode for me too.  I can't wait until the two modes are combined though.  Taking one of your Fortress Dwarves into the world and wrecking a Kobold cavern to stop them stealing your stuff will be awesome.

But for now, it's fortress mode all the way, with adventure mode for a break, or for the fun of coming back to a failed fortress.

Chephren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 03:51:00 am »

No doubt about it, Fortress mode is currently the most feature rich part of the game.  However, I'd hate to see Adventure Mode get pushed aside, especially when it has all the potential to be as deep and intricate as fortress mode.

What tantalises me the most is the possibility   for interaction between the two modes, so that they enhance and deepen each other. I love the idea of being able to visit a huge AI driven fortress, in adventure mode, with hundreds of dwarves going about their daily lives, digging, hunting, sleeping and drinking.  Or the possibility to explore my own fortress on an intimate level.

I'm not sure I agree entirely about the distinction between width and depth.  I think sometimes by adding to one you also add to the other (as highlighted by the possible interaction mentioned above).  If we ever get human, elven, or goblin towns, they could very well add to the depth of the dwarf game, by providing more complex and concrete opponents to interact with (be it peacefully, or not).  

That said I do think dwarfs should be expanded first (in line with the original development plans), but there will come a time when more will be added to the game (for less work), by adding the variety of other civilizations.  And by then you might even be sick of dwarfs  :)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

I play dwarf fortress 99% of the time, though I admit that now that I've gotten the hang of it it's a little too easy to stabilize your fortress even with a harder starting area, after which point nothing much interesting happens until you push past the lava river...and then either die or 'win' but then don't have anything else to look forward to.

Soon I think I'm going to get to the point where I get burned out and need to either put the game away for awhile or start looking into the other modes, though a little more randomness and depth to keep me on my toes in the DF part would go a long way to keep me coming back.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 04:48:00 pm »

I've burned out but I keep checking the updates page, because I fully intend to come back once I see things like burrows and enhanced adventure mode added. Or a better economy.

Actually, I made a pact with myself: I will stop playing until three new versions have been put out, at which point I'll take it back up again. It should take about 10 days at the current rate.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »

I think Toady's updating Fridays, which would make a three-week hiatus.  I'm considering the same thing.
Pages: 1 [2]