Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specify both grid and resolution?  (Read 940 times)

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Specify both grid and resolution?
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was unable to find what I need from searching the forum.

I used to run DF at 1280x600 with the 800x600 tileset and the default grid (something like 80x25). It gave me some nice big tiles in a window that covered the width of my screen.

Now, apparently the resolution and grid size are independent. When I specify a resolution of 1280x600 with the 800x600 tileset, I get a huge grid and tiny tiles. I've tried specifying a [GRID] parameter, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Is there still a way to stretch tiles?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Specify both grid and resolution?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:54:47 pm »

If you use the SDL (in my opinion, recommmended) version, you can make the window whatever size you want by resizing it, and you can chagne the tile size by zooming in and out (mousewheel).

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:56:10 pm »

Aha! I didn't know about the zoom. That solves everything. Thank you very much.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:45:54 pm »

While I've found the ability to resize the window to be awesome, I've also found the default curses_640x300 to be slightly too small and a strain on the eyes. I'm aware that I can zoom in using the mouse wheel, but when I do I find it distorts the image, making the game look ugly. Are there any solutions to this problem?

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »

you could use one of the larger default tile sets
just change curses_640x300 to curses_800x600 or curses_square_16x16

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:50:58 am »

I recommend getting one of the many 16x16 tilesets off of the wiki and using that. Curses_square is distorted.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:04:02 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Bisasam <-- Great tileset. It's huge (20x20) but with zooming that's not really an issue. I can't go back to curses now.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »

I hate the look of the standard tilesets except for 640x300. Ideally what I want is for the 640x300 tileset to be zoomed in a bit, but in a way that doesn't make it look distorted and ugly. Yeah I'm picky I know.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »

I hate the look of the standard tilesets except for 640x300. Ideally what I want is for the 640x300 tileset to be zoomed in a bit, but in a way that doesn't make it look distorted and ugly. Yeah I'm picky I know.

The 800x600 one is nice (at least, the .bmp version).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »

There are loads of good tilesets on the wiki, and it's pretty easy to edit your own if you can't find one you like perfectly.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 03:46:51 pm »

I'm going to try out the Haowan one. I really like the default curses look. I hate graphical tilesets, can't tell what anything is.

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 05:49:41 pm »

Those who like the standard 640x300 tileset except for its size might want to consider Inquisitor Saturn's 16x24 tileset - it's an extremely rare size at double the height and double the width of the standard set.  It also stays fairly faithful to the original, with some exceptions.

I made some modifications to it myself; I changed the standard stone tile to make it more round, the fish/meat tile to make it a bit less fishy, the quote tile to make it a bit less gappy, and the asterisk to make it look a bit less like the 'masterwork' symbol.

Modified version is this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like this - please excuse the crappiness of my newb fort...

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 09:50:05 pm »

Looks pretty decent blazzano, thanks for the tip.