Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Normandy's Buildings Mod 1.1 - Alchemy Expanded  (Read 6014 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Normandy's Buildings Mod 1.1 - Alchemy Expanded
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »

Download Normandy's Buildings Mod for DF2010
Last updated June 26, 2010

What started as a small mod to add a few buildings without changing much more has evolved into... a small mod to add a few buildings while changing a few things.

The goal is to structure Dwarf Fortress and have it 'build' more; choosing depth over choice. Certain holes (such as the inability to set fires and the lack of display cases) were filled with buildings (bonfires and display cases, respectively), some things were moved (smelting of platinum, aluminum, steel, 100% smelting of silver/gold nuggets) to higher tiered buildings which require more advanced materials to construct (crucible requires block, anvil, metal bar) in order to facilitate a greater feeling of progress.

Basic installation requires Uristmod (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53028.0). Simply extract the buildings folder into your dwarf fortress folder (so you'll have folder_with_df\buildings), run Uristmod.exe, choose "Install New Mod", and type in "buildings". This makes it easy to install over other most other mods (such as mineral rebalances and mods that only affect creatures).

For a more detailed installation guide and some mod compatibility issues, read the included readme. A manual of all new features and credits are also included in the readme.

=== Notes ===
-Do not smelt cinnabar or mercury slag. You'll only end up with molten quicksilver and sadness. Currently, you perform amalgamations directly from mercury ore. I am aiming to change this, but for now, the quicksilver metal is just a placeholder.

=== Changelog ===

version 1.1
-Alchemist's laboratory expanded (acids, gunpowder)
-Bonfires temporarily removed, pending more testing and fixes
-Smelting of aluminum now requires borax
-Wood is now worth 2 to better reflect material balances in a fortress
-Smelting iron in the crucible now creates smoke for flavor
-Salt caps, rock salt, now processed into dwarven salt

version 1
-Alchemist's laboratory, bonfires, display cases, libraries, crucibles added
-Lay Pewter is now the only pewter, and Billon was removed
-Bronze is now 2 copper : 1 tin
-Reactions for bismuth + black bronze, lay pewter, nickel silver changed, and values where needed
-Iron ores are now not 100% to encourage use of other metals
-Steel production has been reworked and simplified, and is now exclusively done in the crucible
-Native gold and silver are now not at 100%
-Amalgamations at alchemist's laboratory for nuggets, tetrahedrite, galena
-Cinnibar is now an ore of mercury

=== Future Goals ===
-Altars
-Add in alternate metalworking paths for "lower" metals as well
-Start moving into plant territory, with extracts and more buildings
-Add more fun stuff for alchemists to do
-Mercury poisoning, and more deadly things from inanimate objects in general
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:42:21 am by Normandy »

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
Re: Normandy's Buildings Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:58:36 am »

sounds rather FUN
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Normandy's Buildings Mod 1.1 - Alchemy Expanded
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:47:33 am »

New version is out. Adds in acids using dummy toy methods - I haven't actually tested out if this works in-game (works in theory, though), as I do have trepidations about the entire acid system in general, and will probably uproot it completely the next chance I get.

Expect more changes in the alchemy department as time progresses.

Also, I'm curious, what do you, the DF public, tend to buy most from caravans? I'm trying to make it so that you might actually have to interact with the caravans (DF economy is so broken...) by introducing the need for additional materials which are far rarer in your average fort. A major problem for lategame with me is that there's nothing to do with the trading caravans - one stonecrafter is enough to buy out the entire thing; two stonecrafters is overkill. I'm wondering what I should attack in order to fix this.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:30:35 am »

Also, I'm curious, what do you, the DF public, tend to buy most from caravans? I'm trying to make it so that you might actually have to interact with the caravans (DF economy is so broken...) by introducing the need for additional materials which are far rarer in your average fort. A major problem for lategame with me is that there's nothing to do with the trading caravans - one stonecrafter is enough to buy out the entire thing; two stonecrafters is overkill. I'm wondering what I should attack in order to fix this.

Well, I always ask for extra rare gems like blue/green/black diamonds. I make gem windows for nobs out of them, and do panoramic window in a dining hall.
Exotic animals.
Different foods to spice up the menu.
GCS silk for cloth industry, maybe GSC chitin.
Nothing else is really interesting in caravans.

Maybe there is some way to introduce items that can not be made on-site, but are available via dwarven caravan? I don't know, some better metals, weapons/trap components (ah, quality modifier...), extravagant food/booze. Maybe some VERY expensive things which are necessary to build a top-tier custom workshop, but which you can not make yourself.
-
V.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:40:29 am »

Hrm, I'll probably increase the price of silk and gems then. I know I buy a lot of wood from the caravans, but it's a slippery slope with a common item like that one. I'm also planning on making above-ground crops more valuable and adding a few new expensive, but non-farmable gather-only crops - I wish the effect from eating high-quality food on dwarves was more pronounced. But then again, I also wish siege workshops required a few mechanisms, so meh.