Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject (FINISHED, DONE, KAPUT, AN EX-PARROT)  (Read 85863 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help planning a megaproject
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 06:31:35 pm »

Do it in minecraft. The blocks are square, so it would be a fairly good representation of things

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »

Color me stupid but do you just carve it out of a mountain or something? I am getting proficient at DF but haven't really tried any megaprojects yet.

-MB

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 06:47:41 pm »

Do it in minecraft. The blocks are square, so it would be a fairly good representation of things

Agreed. I haven't really used Minecraft much but from an hour of fiddling around it seems like it'd probably work well for this sort of thing.

Also, make the water come out the front... You see where I'm going with this?
a waterfall will be constantly pumped out the mug, into the open mouth, through the whole damn monstrosity and then be propelled out of his crotch.

Yes, he probably does.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 06:49:04 pm »

In a flash of utter retardation I have decided to build a 100 or so z level tall statue of a dwarf that my dwarves will live inside.

Yo dawg, I heard you like dwarfs so we pu-

The spinning fluffy wambler strikes Untelligent in the head!
It explodes in a shower of gore!
Untelligent has been struck down.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 12:41:07 pm »

Have a basic outline modeled, is there a way to change how many z levels you can go up? Otherwise I'll have to dig a pit to set the statue in on my current map

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 01:39:44 pm »

Yes, in worldgen you can change

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]

To anything you want.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »

Looks like Homer Simpson with a beard!   Mmmmm... beeerr....

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »

DF Designer is an option. Whether you prefer it to the others, I don't know.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Soundandfury/DF_Designer

That statue looks epic, by the way. Come back and let us know how it goes!

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 08:21:48 am »

Color me stupid but do you just carve it out of a mountain or something? I am getting proficient at DF but haven't really tried any megaprojects yet.

-MB

A lot of the time you can just carve them out of the existing materials, but there's at least two very good reasons why you'll sometimes want to clear a whole lot of space and build it from scratch instead of excavating it.

First up, if you want it in specific colours (so it'll look nicer in a 3D display of your fort) or materials (because you wanna see if you can build Mount Rushmore out of soap) then you're gonna have to clear a space for it, process your raw materials, and build it from scratch.

Second up, if you want it to look like something, bigger is better. Each unit of space is like a single pixel in an image or a single brick in a lego sculpture. The taller, wider, and thicker you make your megaproject, the higher the resolution you get, and the more fine detail you can fit into the finished product. And if your megaproject is a work of art built into the side of a gigantic cliff face, or if it's a three-dimensional structure of some kind, there's a good chance that you'll have to build up into z-levels that are above ground level if you want the desired level of detail. There's what, 20 or 30 z-levels of air above ground level on a lot of maps right? Utilising that space can give you thirty more layers of "pixels" on the z-axis to bring your structure into sharper resolution.

Oh and then there's a very very dwarven reason to build upwards rather than just carving it out of the bedrock. Turning a lush forest into a giant hole in the ground so you can carve out a sixty-storey fortress in the shape of Saint Urist is pretty awesome. Turning a lush forest into a giant hole in the ground so you can carve out a sixty-storey fortress in the shape of Saint Urist, and then going back up and building a twenty-storey obsidian hat on top of his head once you're finished is an act of pure dwarfiness.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 12:31:14 am »

A year or two in and I have finished the feet! 3 Dwarves have died to caves-ins when I readjusted the tops of the feet and when I started knocking out walls to get the last of the brown stone needed. I have a stocked hospital and dwarves with medical skills and one dwarf who had a red leg must be better, but as far as I can tell the doctors just ignore the two gimps lying around the hospital.

The framerate is sitting around 10, probably something to do with the 10k stone and 10k blocks. Everything is being constructed from the inside, not being able to put walls on top of floors makes the going slower. It only still functions at a tolerable rate because I cheated the dwarf speed.

I set the pop cap at 100, and I'm up to 68, I'm thinking that a lower pop cap might have been better, because the real time consuming part is designating the construction not waiting for the dwarves to do it.

Tomorrow the legs will start, hopefully I do not run out of marble.

Here's the map, if someone can tell me how to get stonesense to work with 08 I'll put up some better pics.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9055-apextheimmortal

The All Guardsmen Party

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:53 am »

Please, please, please tell me VF pics will be taken once this is done.  Please.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 12:58:55 am »

Nice pics will be up as soon as I can figure out a 3D program

The All Guardsmen Party

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 01:12:14 am »

Shitting with magma won't cut it. Make an obsidian factory inside his rear, so he can shit bricks!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 01:17:40 am »

I plan to experiment with all sorts of offal ordinance, it will be a heck of a job to run the pumping mechanisms through the floors since I'm building the structure before I put in features.

The All Guardsmen Party

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 02:06:33 am »

A year or two in and I have finished the feet! 3 Dwarves have died to caves-ins when I readjusted the tops of the feet and when I started knocking out walls to get the last of the brown stone needed. I have a stocked hospital and dwarves with medical skills and one dwarf who had a red leg must be better, but as far as I can tell the doctors just ignore the two gimps lying around the hospital.

The framerate is sitting around 10, probably something to do with the 10k stone and 10k blocks. Everything is being constructed from the inside, not being able to put walls on top of floors makes the going slower. It only still functions at a tolerable rate because I cheated the dwarf speed.

I set the pop cap at 100, and I'm up to 68, I'm thinking that a lower pop cap might have been better, because the real time consuming part is designating the construction not waiting for the dwarves to do it.

Tomorrow the legs will start, hopefully I do not run out of marble.

Here's the map, if someone can tell me how to get stonesense to work with 08 I'll put up some better pics.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9055-apextheimmortal

For fps, try turning off weather and temperature. A lot of the lag is probably coming from the excess above ground z-levels though, which are adding to the already respectable load posed by 31.0x's underground. I hope you picked a small map!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17