Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The new Matrix tileset  (Read 46086 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Re: The new Matrix tileset
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »

This is excellent, run it it fullscreen for the full on WTF factor for anyone watching

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:03 pm »

This is really cool. I'll try it out later. Question: if I submit a movie to the map/movie database site, will it play with these characters there? I haven't used the site (or really played DF) in a long time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »

The DFMA utility will use the tileset. All DFMA does is just compile those .bmp screenshots you took of your fortress into a single file for easy viewing.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 06:38:23 pm »

This is really cool. I'll try it out later. Question: if I submit a movie to the map/movie database site, will it play with these characters there?

No, it won't. I tried it here. It just displays the standard graphics pack. (it even says I specified the curses pack! it's lying!) (Unless there is a way to specify these things?)

A square tileset might work better, since Japanese characters (which most of those are) are pretty much square to begin with.
I'll make it square, 16 by 16. (Is that a good size?) It will take a few days for that, I got other (real life!!) (non-DF!) stuff I gotta do.

And what's with the reversed/flipped/mirrored Latin letters anyway? I don't remember that in the Matrix.
WELL! Lemme tell ya about that. There are several reasons!
You know how the characters are always flipping around randomly as the code falls from the top of the screen? The following isn't the best picture, but you can tell that some of those characters have dimmer versions of other characters underneath them. And sometimes, a letter will flip itself around a few times before coming to rest in the proper orientation. I was trying to simulate that. (Look closely at the capital A in my tileset.)

Also, do you see those 5s on there? And the 9? They're backwards! So I made some of the numbers backwards like they do in the Matrix, (3 is upside-down, etc.) and then thought, hey, why not do that with some letters, too? So I did.
And thirdly, I was thinking about a story by Issac Asimov where the letter F, (or something), over the eons, has been flipped backwards. So I thought, hey, it's a kind of futuristic thing, cool! I can do that too!

Wow, what a long-winded response. Ah well, I thought I'd share my reasoning.

Overall, this is pretty funny, but the typography/linework could use a bit of correction.
What linework? SPECIFY PLEASE.

Thanks to y'all for the compliments. I had fun making this thing.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 07:32:00 pm »

It's so beautiful.

This needs to have a ☼Computer monitor☼ to fully grasp the perplexity of staring into such a wondrous chasm of ASCII glory.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 08:58:15 pm »

The colours are a little wonky but I love it otherwise.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 10:24:21 pm »

The colours are a little wonky but I love it otherwise.

Could you post a screenshot or two? (use www.imgur.com) The colors aren't perfect yet, some of them might be too similar. (It took me forever to get the grays to work correctly) I can fix the wonkiness if I can see it.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »

You get used to it. I don't even see the code. All I see is cat, goblin, pool of blood.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 11:27:06 pm »

So it does bad things for the sake of looking cool?
I'm up for that!

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:47 am »

I think the best part is the fact that to the dwarfs their world is real, but in reality, it is an illusion, and we craft their ultimate fate.
So, the whole matrix thing goes over pretty well.
Also
"So you're saying I can dodge crossbow bolts?"
"No. I'm saying that, when you're ready, you won't need to."

Easily one of the best posts on a forum I've ever read.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:21 am »

Looks really good.

now to make kanji symbols for all the creatures.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 07:00:55 pm »

Very cool. Can you please make a 16*16 set?  :) :) :)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 12:30:02 am »

this is awesome :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 03:00:34 am »

So, after playing a little, I have two questions.
1) When I press f11, everything goes back to normal. My matrix is gone! Any way to change this?
2) Are you planning on ever making the lower case lessers a little less readable? Not as much as upper case, but a bit, because I'm up for that!

Apart from that, if these two issues are resolved, I hope to make this my stardard tileset, and maybe standard computer font.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:21 am »

A tileset ASCII fanatics will use? :P

(Hilarious, love it.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7