Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma and water separated by common wall  (Read 2473 times)

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma and water separated by common wall
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:38:29 pm »

If I run magma and water side-by-side separated by a common constructed wall, will the water boil?  If so, how far apart do they need to be?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Magma and water separated by common wall
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:39:04 pm »

I don't think boil. I do know that ice a floor above will melt.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »

If I run magma and water side-by-side separated by a common constructed wall, will the water boil?  If so, how far apart do they need to be?
No, water only boils on direct contact with magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:54:05 pm »

While we're on the subject: water and magma combining create obsidian where htey meet, but what about two pumps pointing at the same tile, one pumping magma and one water. will that one tile become obsidian? or just water or magma.
Code: [Select]
->?<-
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

No, water only boils on direct contact with magma.

Awesome, thanks.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »

While we're on the subject: water and magma combining create obsidian where htey meet, but what about two pumps pointing at the same tile, one pumping magma and one water. will that one tile become obsidian? or just water or magma.
Code: [Select]
->?<-

Obsidian, as always when water and magma touch. Why would it do something else when the to liquids are pumped?  ???
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:28:32 pm »

because there is only one tile for them both to fit into, and thus they can't "meet" in the usual way.
[/quote]

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:30:28 pm »

They meet because the tile is filled with one substance, and the other is pumped into it.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 12:35:07 am »

But if you activate them with one switch in theory they should activate at the same moment (perhaps someone should just test it and make a video can't be that difficult end it might bring up and interesting behavior.)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 01:31:24 am »

They meet because the tile is filled with one substance, and the other is pumped into it.

So they do meet? It's a lot of work to play with Magma in the new version, so I wanted to be sure about things before designating the 100 screw pumps.
[/quote]

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:07 am »

I really don't see what the issue is.  When 1/7 or more magma and 1/7 or more water is in one square, it becomes obsidian.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 05:28:10 am »

Dwarf physics is defined only by dwarf experimentation.
Make it happen!

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 02:30:45 pm »

I really don't see what the issue is.  When 1/7 or more magma and 1/7 or more water is in one square, it becomes obsidian.

I think his issue lies in the concept that if a tile has say, 7/7 water, how can it fit 1/7 magma in there too?

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 02:31:16 pm »

But if the tile is filled with one substance, the other fluid may never be pumped into it because the pump pathfinding can't find an appropriate tile to place it.
I just tried this and got magma in the tile every time. I suspect this is because of the order I built the pumps in, and the other way would put water there every time.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:41:25 am »

But if the tile is filled with one substance, the other fluid may never be pumped into it because the pump pathfinding can't find an appropriate tile to place it.
I just tried this and got magma in the tile every time. I suspect this is because of the order I built the pumps in, and the other way would put water there every time.
Verdict: They don't meet.
Thank you for testing that. I have 100z levels down to the magma, I want those dig designations right the first time!
[/quote]