Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing Stats  (Read 5146 times)

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Losing Stats
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »

I started a new fortress on 0.31.08, and I recorded my initial stats with screen shots.  Has anyone else lost some dwarf stats for no apparent reason?
At start:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After 1 season:
The only thing she's done since then is cut wood.  Nothing but cut wood.  If anything, she should have gained strength, not lost it.

Unless someone knows why this happens, I'll report it as a bug.

Edit:
Oh, and she's not hungry/thirsty/tired at the moment, to rule out something like "oh, they get weak when they're tired". (which would be kinda awesome and realistic)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:23:36 pm by Executer »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:37:48 pm »

I don't know how accurate that screen is, when you hit v and then find that dwarf (hitting g if necessary) it might show something different.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:54:00 pm »

Skill rust, maybe?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:21:53 pm »

There's a new attribute rust system, but I heard that it's buggy any your dwarves only gain stats in the military, so you may want to look at the modding section or the wiki about how to remove stat rust.

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »

I've replaced the entry under dwarf in my Creature_standard.txt with this.
I think it's pretty close to normal, but the whole system is confusing enough that I may have only made things worse.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »

Been reading http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating which talks about that.  However I've noticed that my creatures_standard.txt doesn't have any of the "MENT_ATT_RATE" "PHYS_ATT_RATE" items, so I'm not sure what's currently governing the rate at which my dwarves lose/gain stats...

I'll mess around with it for a while and see what I can get.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:42:56 pm »

Been reading http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating which talks about that.  However I've noticed that my creatures_standard.txt doesn't have any of the "MENT_ATT_RATE" "PHYS_ATT_RATE" items, so I'm not sure what's currently governing the rate at which my dwarves lose/gain stats...

I'll mess around with it for a while and see what I can get.
If they don't have those tokens, It sets to the default, which I think you can find in the creature tokens page.
I've replaced the entry under dwarf in my Creature_standard.txt with this.
I think it's pretty close to normal, but the whole system is confusing enough that I may have only made things worse.
I'm pretty sure -50 growth rates is not good. 1 would make it easy because your dwarves would gain a level for every action, but negative numbers probably skew the system, preventing any growth at all.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:03 am »

"Defaults for are 500:2:3:2"

For both MENT_ATT_RATES and _PHYS_ATT_RATES

Changing them all to 500:NONE:NONE:NONE should prevent skills decaying over time, without changing their rate; I'll test it to be sure, but I'm not 100% certain how to do so.  You can't actually see dwarfs' current exp towards strength/memory/etc.  I'll see if it stops stats from decreasing over time, since I believe you can't currently gain stats. (IE. they can only go down atm)
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2408

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 03:46:25 am »

Changing them all to 500:NONE:NONE:NONE should prevent skills decaying over time, without changing their rate; I'll test it to be sure, but I'm not 100% certain how to do so.  You can't actually see dwarfs' current exp towards strength/memory/etc.  I'll see if it stops stats from decreasing over time, since I believe you can't currently gain stats. (IE. they can only go down atm)
Go to the modding forum and grab Runesmith to see EXP for those things. Not sure if they've got attribute EXP done yet but I know it was a feature planned.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:39:23 pm »

Man, this makes me really feel like not starting a new fort. How bad is this skill decay (especially memory) if you don't mess with it and does it help any to disable the rusting rate?

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:22:36 pm »

mental skills are hardly/never used so thats fine, its just that over a time your workers will het slower and weaker compared to immigrants

try putting them in training to get stats up temporarly if you haven't removed rust
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »

I tried this but it causes a crash when I try to create a dwarf in the arena..... Haven't checked whether it causes a crash on embark for sure.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:00:27 am »

I've added PHYS_ATT_RATES (strength, endurance, etc), MENT_ATT_RATES (spacial awareness, memory, etc), and SKILL_RATES (all normal job-skills) with no rust values.
I didn't gen a new world after the changes, and it seems to have done the trick.  I've not noticed any dwarves losing stats from the time of change onward (although I do have a LOT of dwarves now, so I might have missed it)

I left all the ranges at their default (so gaining skills/stats takes the same amount of time as usual).

Give it a try if you want.  I added them just above the MENT/PHYS_ATT_RANGE entries without problem.  Can upload my whole creature_default if someone needs.

v0.31.08 graphical