Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod Question: Adding Words to Language  (Read 926 times)

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod Question: Adding Words to Language
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »

I want to add a few things to the potential list of Dwarf names, but I'm both tired and dumb and can't quite figure it out.  Has anyone else?

I've added a word to the language_DWARF.txt file, but do I then also need to add a full entry to language_words.txt file and/or one of the lists in the language_SYM.txt file?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Mod Question: Adding Words to Language
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:35:00 pm »

Yeah, the main file is language_words.  The other files look at that.  language_<race> just tells it how to translate.  language_SYM tells it what categories the word falls in.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:16:00 am »

Thanks.

Which categories in SYM does it pick character names from?  I can see a few it either obviously does or does not, but...

I think I've worked out the format of the actual language_words.txt and the language_DWARF one is pretty self-explanatory.

90% of my Dwarves seem to have the word Paddle or Tested in their names.  Those two are coming out!  (I jest about the percentage, so it's not a bug, don't worry).

Also, youve got some almost naughty words in there like, ahem, anus and bitch, what one earth uses those!?  (Obviously I'm planning on adding a whole load more, heheh).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 03:22:00 am »

The naughty words were rare options for evil artifacts I think, and they might rarely show up in goblin names though I've only seen ones with Evil+Untoward there (I think the goblin civ might force evil on the symbol, or it just has a lot to choose from).  Mostly the Untoward symbol is culled.  Later as more and foul things are added, this stuff might be more appropriate though still rare.

Go into the entity_default.txt or whatever to see which symbols it uses for each civilization (including your characters/dwarves).  Other symbols like the ones for item names and regions are currently hard-coded but won't be forever.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:53:00 am »

Fantastic, thanks again.

Are messages like "Some migrants have arrived" hard-coded?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 07:07:00 am »

Heh, you could change it to 'A greater burden is upon you.'
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:10:00 am »

Is editing the .txt files enough?  I've added a few words that I thiiink should appear in Dwarven names now but haven't seen any crop up.

I'm hoping I've just been unlucky, and that one of my words hasn't randomly cropped up yet, but maybe editing the .txt alone isn't enough?

As you can tell, I'm not a modder  :)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

I don't know, but you can easily test by deleting every other name but the one you added, if the change works, it will surely "crop up" quite quickly  :)
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"