Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bloat134 - when?  (Read 2664 times)

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloat134 - when?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

I'm not sure if I like the idea of fireball-slinging dwarves, but it would be cool if you could like engrave runes of items (weapons and armor mostly) to give them certain effects. Like a fire rune engraved on an axe lets it set it's victims on fire, while a fire run on armor prevents if from being damaged by fire.

You could also engrave runes on tools and even workshops to increase productivity.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Artifact based magic would be nice.

As for magic spells etc, I think that should be left for humans and elves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

I think it should just be made possible, so that anyone can edit in the various tags to whatever they feel like.

I desperately want to breath fire on opponents in adventure mode...

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

Artifact magics shouldn't have to focus on the artifact. They could give bonuses to the dwarf who wields it, dwarves around it or even the entire fortress. Depending on the power of the artifact which would be determined by its value. That could cause problems as well. This would make artifacts more important and could change how you run a fort.
Artifact Sock that increases the birth rate of cats? No more silk. These would make artifact much more interesting.
No longer is it, "Yay, artifact BRACELET" instead it would be "Yay, artifact bracelet that ALLOWS THE WEARER TO FLY".

Cursed Artifacts would have negative effects. Example: Crops wilt faster.

Losing any artifact would be devastating to a fort. The maker would either leave to get it back or go insane. It could also create unhappy thoughts for other dwarves in the fort.

Karl_Delacroix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

How about requiring some type of gem ?

I mean like, to create a certain spell, you need a decent sapphire and an emerald, or you can engrave runes in them too before encrusting them in a weapon. I don't know, but I think gems could be implemented in the magic system.

And I agree with most people here, magic in DF should be treated as something dangerous and ritualistic and not like "Lol kamehameha +2", as in, for example, your dwarf wizard is trying to surround the fortress with an anti-undead field, but the spell goes wrong, the wizard dorf asplodes, every pregnant dorfette has a miscarriage, all the food rots away, the river gets poisoned and the fortress gets surrounded in a pro-undead field. (Also, all dead fetuses from the miscarriages come back as ghost fetus dwarves)

..like eagles on pogo sticks!

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

I now DEMAND ghost fetus Dwarves in the next update!

:p

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

No No, corporal undead fetuses of different stages that *claw* their way out!  :D
Then they go hunting for their fathers...

Abaut magic I think 1) Toady should decide and 2) that it should be as modable and flexible as absolutely possible, and heavily settable at worldgen.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

There's like a bazillion threads in the suggestion forum about this.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

for god's sake stop making new magic threads, post in one of the established ones

*vomits*

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 07:11:00 am »

Magic would be awesome if it was complex stuff like the following:

Your fortress has goblins banging on the locked front door. Your dwarves are starting to get hungry and thirsty, and in desperation you set up an altar and put upon it an assortment of assumably (not necessarily) magical items. A fire spinel, a bushel of withered sunberries, twelve bismuth bars, and a masterpiece carp leather left glove. Ten of your dwarves sit around the altar, each holding a gold scepter, and they begin to chant. A week passes. Two of the dwarves have given into starvation and have fallen over, the rest are on the border of starving themselves, when finally, the items are consumed in a flash of fire. Nearby a leatherworker gets pissed off and starts throwing cats into statues and breaking doors. A deep rumble eminates from the altar, getting louder, and louder, and louder. The desperate dwarves look on, starting to grin as their minds spin with the possibilities of what they may have just accomplished. The rumble deepens...

"A section of the cavern has collapsed!"

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

I like the suggestion of artefacts giving bonuses or penalties to the whole fortress. What I think would be really awesome and make magic a bit more mysterious and magical is not revealing what it actually does. So, you've just crafted an artefact and within a season five of your dwarves die in freak accidents. Is it a cursed artefact, or just plain old bad luck?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

I think magic is going to require a whole scripting language and programmability that is linked to the raws.  Toady wants something that can be whatever we want it to be.

FunkyBomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

If most artifacts were magical, I think people would be more excited about getting things like a bucket made of onyx, encircled with bands of dog bone and adorned with hanging rings of limestone.

No, really. Think about the things a magical bucket could do:

-Purify water, allowing the bearer to get clean water from any water source
-Flat out MAKE water, allowing the bearer to fill up artificial lakes and such in a flash
-Transmute liquids into other liquids. Water becomes dwarven rum or milk or all manner of other useful things
-A ton of other things I've failed to imagine

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>I think magic is going to require a whole scripting language and programmability that is linked to the raws.  Toady wants something that can be whatever we want it to be.</STRONG>

Now that is basically my opinion to, or quite close to it, anything should be possible.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:43:33 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 [2]