Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Haven & Hearth 3.0  (Read 25010 times)

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Haven & Hearth 3.0
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:41:07 am »

This is a continuation of an old, outdated topic. I've started a new one since things have long since changed.

Here is a link to the game's main page.

I imagine a lot of folks have heard about Haven & Hearth since the first topic last year. Many have come and gone, many updates have been made, and overall the world looks nothing like it did a year ago (it's not even the same world!). The core gameplay remains largely unchanged, though.

About

So, what is Haven about? It's supposed to be a survival game, though people agree that aspect is easy if you know how to play. After this earliest of the early game, it becomes a game about building and industry of stuff to create or acquire ever more stuff. Farming, hunting, silk, metalworking*, amongst others. Starting in (or forming a) village allows for a division of labor that makes getting stuff more efficient, not to mention provides the community online games seem to thrive on. Not to say that hermit play is non-viable or unfun, but village life is a fundamentally different experience.
*see caveats below

Haven & Hearth is also fully PvP. An established character can attack, steal, and murder more or less at will. Given the sheer size of the world, however, random 'ganking' doesn't occur often and a walled village (or hermitage) is nearly impervious. There is also a tracking system by which vengeance can be wrought by the victim's successor character (more on that in a moment), the victim's allies, bounty hunters, or the 'white knights' of the game (most likely the latter). Death isn't the end, though, in that you receive a percentage of your gained experience back as you reincarnate. This is supposed to be a big deal, playing a family line rather than a character, but as it stands it's a minor feature.

---

Helpful Links & Advice

A few pieces of advice for the newbie, a few links, and those who prefer to learn by themselves can stop reading! Continue on if you'd like to join up with the village, as instructions are at the end of this post.

0) The world is beyond HUGE. Traversing the map from end to end measures time in hours, if you know what you're doing and can fend off wild animals. The default spawn is a random spawn, so if you want to play with someone else, use the hearth secret feature (explained below in the village spiel)
1) Being most (if not all) of you play Dwarf Fortress, I'm sure metalworking is a feature you're eager to specialize in. Unfortunately, mines are relatively scarce and finding one is non-trivial. You'll either need to bust your ass or join an existing one if you really want to do it, but trust me, it's not an entirely glamorous occupation.
2) Do NOT buy the Swimming skill. It is serious when it says you need 40 constitution to even consider it, and even then still don't buy it. People will probably laugh at you if you do, then immediately drown upon contact with the Blue Death.
3) Immediately upon entering the game, adjust your personal belief sliders. Make sure it's not Tradition/Change, because that will automatically move towards change if anything else moves. I recommend Peaceful for the experience boost. The damage loss is insignificant compared to that boost in conjunction with all the others.

Links:
Wiki (outdated but still somewhat useful)
Official How Do I? forum
Pacho's client, a 3rd party client with some useful features
Topic for Pacho's client in case you have trouble getting it to work

Village Recruitment

Finally, this last bit is for village information. I lead the only openly recruiting Bay12 town I know of (happy to be corrected here and add other town's info), and we're always recruiting. The process is different than the usual 'I'm in as (X), add me', though.

Andoran
Lawspeaker: KoE (AlyssaXenos in-game)

Update:

I am currently unable to play the game (at all; my computer's dead and I'm currently stuck on a really poor laptop), so I can't even pass on leadership (although folks seem willing to put me in the strange position of leading a town I can't even play in). As such, I'm currently just the guy on the forums to PM. We may shut down recruiting, but at the moment I'm still willing to go on with it.

First, as mentioned, the world is HUGE. So you'll want to use our hearth secret (which is sort of a password that you can tell the guy with the magnifying glass near the upper left corner of the character creation room). Since it's a password, you'll need to PM me with a request for it. When you tell it to the NPC, he opens up a staircase that will drop you off in our town's walls.

However, you won't have permissions to interact with our land without criminal skills, so you'll need to contact our Chieftain to be inducted into the village. From there, the village members should be more than happy to give you direction and advice.

World's End
Lawspeaker: Yolan

I've set up a town in game called 'World's End', the basic premise of which is to see how big a town we can make in game, if people have their own plots and are left to their own devices. Trade is via market square and coinage. A few weeks since I kicked it off (3rd in a series of such attempted cities since last year), we are already one of the bigger towns. If you are interested send me a PM via the game forums (same name).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:47:54 pm by KoE »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Haven & Hearth 3.0
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:37:06 am »

Ahhhhh I'm sorry guys, I'm on my college break since yesterday now, I should be back soon. I actualy had time, but it was just about 2 hours a day, so it wound't be very H&H productive, so I enjoyed me some Red Dead Redemption in between tests.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:17 am »

I have been away for awhile, should be able to get on later today.
Nom nom nom

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:42:02 pm »

You should include links to good clients. I used to use Pacho's, couldn't live without it.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:06:32 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm informed well enough and up to date enough to write the part for Buyan, but once I get a volunteer I'll get back to you.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:53:16 am »

I've set up a town in game called 'World's End', the basic premise of which is to see how big a town we can make in game, if people have their own plots and are left to their own devices. Trade is via market square and coinage. A few weeks since I kicked it off (3rd in a series of such attempted cities since last year), we are already one of the bigger towns. If you are interested send me a PM via the game forums (same name).
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:04 am »

Good idea, Fikes. I always forget about linking to Pacho's since I only use it occasionally when I need to kill the nightmask. (I must be one of those cave-dwelling few who can still live with a 800x600 game screen). I'll update that in a sec. I don't actually know of any other 'good' clients, but if anybody has suggestions throw 'em my way.

Any objections to me adding your ad to the first post, Yolan? I'll go ahead and quote you there but I just figured I'd confirm.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 03:41:42 pm »

I had a character a while ago, considering getting back in. I was thinking it may work to push my personal beliefs over to where you get to save some of your LP when you die, killing myself, and then entering the village code. That would work, right?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »

It would indeed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:07:35 pm »

I am the Lawspeaker for Buyan.
Our village is not actively recruiting members at the moment, but we're not entirely closed for new members either. However, we like people to get to know the game, and get a feel for it first, and we also like to get to know people first before considering membership.
However, people are welcome to settle in the 'supergrid' around Buyan, which is not too far from Andoran.
People living in our supergrid can get help from us, if they are the victim of a crime. However, we will not tolerate people in our supergrid comitting crimes themselves.
We are always looking for new traders, to set up a stall at our market. You can contact me for that. I'm martinuzz at H&H forums as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »

Pigs just got added to the game. The hunt is on to domesticate.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »

By the way, can somebody sum up the main new features since 2.5 or whatever? I can't seem to find a list.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:04 am »

Pigs just got added to the game. The hunt is on to domesticate.

Where do you find them? I haven't seen any yet, and I was told it's not by quelling boars.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 10:25:32 am »

Whoever said that ends up being wrong then. Boars are tamed into nice little bacon factories.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:23:55 pm »

By the way, can somebody sum up the main new features since 2.5 or whatever? I can't seem to find a list.

New crafted containers, rafts, wagons and food +FEP banquets tables, eating utensils and paraphernalia, pipes, clay bowl, clay meat grinder, bonfires for +FEP feasting, new harvest nodes bone/acre/ball/cave clays, beetroot, marijuana buds, tobacco, mussels and more palisade changes, persistent animal corpses - and lots more.

Posted this on the 2.5 thread and was never griefed - so here is the 3.0 offer!

If anyone is looking to sandbox or just curious about H&H in general then they are welcome to use my HS. This is an old village that I helped build months ago - the village idol was moved to a mine and no one lives there now. I rehabbed approx. 9 homes and replaced the old road system with waypoint travel markers. Crops, including wheat, are planted in open, unclaimed patches of ground and are free to harvest and use. Most of the old homes have herb tables outside the front door and inside you will find cupboards, plows, looms, fishing gear and who knows what else - carts are scattered across the island.

Just claim a house and start playing.

HS: bayview
**Just planted 30 QL25-35 fir. pine, willow, elm and mulberry
10-15 tanning tubs
Q44 clay/Q41 kiln/Q33 soil/Q42 water
3 caves nearby (no mines inside and have yet to find cave clay)
huge meadow with conifer forest nearby
beehives
ovens
old palisades with decaying segments
chicken coops with a few 15ish chickens
swamp/heath/heather/lake 15 minute tramp away
sand location is a 10 minute boat trip
fishing nodes all along the southern river

maps:
http://glestmaps.wikia.com/wiki/File:North_river.png
http://glestmaps.wikia.com/wiki/File:South_river.png

Happy Trails