Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smokehouse, salting, pickles  (Read 1314 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Smokehouse, salting, pickles
« on: June 03, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Changes to the Kitchen.

The cook would bring raw meat or fish items into the Kitchen workshop, and the process of smoking them would create some smoke as a side effect of preserving the meat/fish. Then said food items could be eaten straight or used in further cooking. But they certainly wouldn't rot.

Also, you could salt raw meat or fish by bringing in the food item and some salt. This would also preserve the food item. You could create pickled objects too if you had salt but they'd need a barrel like brewing.

Mmm ... pickled rope reed.

I guess it's not a big addition. We kind of assume that the cooking process involves this sort of food processing.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smokehouse, salting, pickles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

it would certainly add to the spirit of the game. second
een failing lately?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

I think this could be a good addition when Toady gets around to the cooking bloat.  Perhaps this could be combined with the ideas from that other thread (sadly, I don't have a link on hand) where you had randomly generated food stuffs based on the Base component that was used to get an even larger variety.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

I second it... and would also like to see sausages added as a way to squeeze (no pun intended) some further nutrition out of animal chunks and otherwise inedible parts.

Also, maybe iron cans or glass jars for food preservation would be cool too  :).

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Misterstone:
<STRONG>I second it... and would also like to see sausages added as a way to squeeze (no pun intended) some further nutrition out of animal chunks and otherwise inedible parts.

Also, maybe iron cans or glass jars for food preservation would be cool too    :).</STRONG>

Sealed cans require certain manufacturing techniques not present in pre-industrialized societies (for one thing, the cans are often lined with a polymer. For another, it takes certain tricks of machinery to hermetically seal the metal after filling it with food).

Jars, however, are win... but it's rare that whatever is sealed in a jar is a finished meal, more often it's an ingredient. Beyond that, "canning" (in jars) should take fuel, because you're autoclaving the food as part of the process.

Summary: sounds bloaty

Salted meat, however, is something that was very, very prevalent in and crucial to ancient civilized life and would be easy enough to do since it would give rock salt purpose as a resource, create salt as a trade good (understatement, salt was literally currency in some societies), and be useful since maybe you don't want to cook that herd of dead elephants all up at the same time.

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

Lots of similar stuff has been suggested. Use the search option.
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=003474