Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Living off Named Things  (Read 7936 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Living off Named Things
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »

Ok, so you can currently have your adventurer live off of drinking Named creatures' blood.
...but what about food? What does it take to get Named food?

Does killing a titan with a thrown Roast make it named?
If you are a lasher, can you eat the little chunks of Named Creature Bits you might produce?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: Living off Named Things
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »

You can (in 40d, at least) eat their vomit.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:45:42 pm »

I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:36:34 pm »

Well, you don't need to pick it up to eat it. Once you're starving, you'll eat any food item no matter how disgusting, including vomit. If you run out of food, vomit is pretty much the only way to stay alive.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:44:33 am »

Well, you don't need to pick it up to eat it. Once you're starving, you'll eat any food item no matter how disgusting, including vomit. If you run out of food, vomit is pretty much the only way to stay alive.

Bats. I've been eating bats.
And once I switched from my axe to an Ettin's Middle Finger, I started getting vomit out of things. I haven't run across any Named creatures since the Ettin, however, so I don't know if the Vomit is named like the blood is.
[/quote]

Rice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:23 am »

I don't think vomit gets the name of the creature but if it is splattered with named creature's blood then it has a name.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:51:53 am »

Er... you can butcher corpses, if you want. Just get a sharp object (knife, sword, etc...), stand over the body, and press x to bring up the menu.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 01:07:59 pm »

yeah. Pretty sure that wasn't in the game when I started the thread.
Also, I don't think you can do this for most of the Canlearn quest beasts. (you still have to find, like, a cougar or something that got Named for killing people)

But now, yes. Totally an Adventure Mode challenge - only live off the blood and meat of named creatures.
[/quote]

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »

u can kill dragons and eat their parts. The bones and teeth (non edibles) still bear their name, the other parts are just: dragon sweet bread etc

also

I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.

sigged
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:45:00 pm by de5me7 »
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:16:08 am »

The best way to keep this as an actual challenge would be to use a Play Now! Human, because starting at a civ makes you extremely powerful, as well as well equipped, while every single Play Now! Human I've ever played as has had abysmal skills. Also, as of 0.31.10, (maybe .09, but I first noticed it in .10) you start with a copper spear and a copper large dagger when you select a Play Now! Human.