Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 552429 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1170 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:46 am »

Is there a way to configure a sound to play when I get a FB?  It seems funny to me that I get told when the season changes, but not when some eldritch horror from before time crawls out from the depths under my fort...

Beasts for to have message when they enter map, they only have popup window that is not logged.

One would need to add dfhack plugin feature to detect whether new FB appeared on unit list and post message about it.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1171 on: July 16, 2014, 03:14:43 am »

I've got a lot of sounds not playing
Download sound pack manually. The problem is documented here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60287.msg5371074#msg5371074

Could it be issue only with mac?

I'll look into that for next release.

Definitely happened to me on Windows 7. Just installing Soundsense and starting the autoupdater caused me to not get ~50% of files. And it did a real number on the xmls, to the point legitimate statements weren't being parsed right. ("This does not match any rule.") I was seriously losing my mind trying to get custom music and stuff to work, before I was clued in.

Thanks, that got me straightened out.

Is there anyway to allow two sounds to play on one channel? I'd like to layer some of the weather effects over each other.

Ah k. By not specifying a channel I can get them both to play.

Yes, but they will not be cut short when weather clears.

On that note, is there any attribute you can set to govern the # of times a track will repeat before stopping? Is that playbackthreshold= ? Reason is the weather effects in adventure mode do not loop, and the messages have to be fetched by the player with "W" instead of being automatically put into the log. They fire, play once and stop unless you check the weather again. So I'm looking to extend the playback of weather sounds without putting them on loop.

playbackthreshold is related to combo box on top of ss window that controls how much is played - you can use it to turn off low threshold sounds globally

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1172 on: July 16, 2014, 03:22:56 am »

Generally, adventurer mode weather is problematic as are other things that change in background but do not give message.

This is dfhack integration bait mostly - log line when weather or day/night change.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 16, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

First off, great utility! Second though, during initial set up i accidentally entered the wrong folder for the gamelog file. How do i change the folder to the correct one?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1174 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »

First off, great utility! Second though, during initial set up i accidentally entered the wrong folder for the gamelog file. How do i change the folder to the correct one?

open configuration.xml in notepad and you will see path that is being used and will be able to change it.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1175 on: July 21, 2014, 01:26:42 am »

Soundpack update

Work-in-progress soundpack update is released. Mostly relating to new adventurer interactions and small fixes to already existing sounds that got different messages in DF2014.

Thanks to everyone who provided extensive logs of their adventures!

Right now, future is big task of dubbing speech - Which is humongous task and continuing small touchups.

Cheers!

Get it at: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1176 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:21 am »

Shazbot wrote theese very nice sounding fitting seasonal poems to add to season introductions:

Winter

Ice is treasonous and thin
Snow falls to entomb within
With our bellies hunger gnawed
Grimly we endure till thawed

Spring

Gone is snow and dire need
Off we go to plow and seed
Timber falls to axe's bite
As arrows nock, out of sight

Summer

Blinding sun offends our eye
Scorching heat the waters dry
This foe cavern's deep will foil
Till we are called to surface toil

Autumn

Cool winds blow on ripened grain
The brewer's gold drowns our pain
Merchants bring us shining wares
As merry dwarves dance in pairs

We of course need it in SS.

As it is right such introduction are spoken with female voice, it would be nice if we got actress for that, any takers? :-)

alexis.b

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 23, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »

Thanks for your work. Soundsense is a must have. As of today, are you taking music suggestions ?

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 24, 2014, 03:14:57 pm »

I'd be quite all right with a gravely-sounding chain smoker reciting the poems, really.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 24, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »

Is there a way to play all announcements without the seasonal music?  It sounds very nice, but like most game music after a few repetitions... *bites nails*

Is the music the only difference between sound levels 3 and 4?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h1c2nzhbbpfe28z/Seasons.rar I got my best friend Kate to record herself reading the season poems. Hopefully you'll all like them! If you want her to record more, just ask! I can get her to record almost any time of the day or week!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1181 on: July 25, 2014, 01:11:58 am »

Is there a way to play all announcements without the seasonal music?  It sounds very nice, but like most game music after a few repetitions... *bites nails*

You can mute music channel in first tab of soundsense window - that should do the trick.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h1c2nzhbbpfe28z/Seasons.rar I got my best friend Kate to record herself reading the season poems. Hopefully you'll all like them! If you want her to record more, just ask! I can get her to record almost any time of the day or week!

Thanks! I'll check and add that out soon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:59 am »

You can mute music channel in first tab of soundsense window - that should do the trick.

Thanks!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 26, 2014, 10:41:32 am »

I kind of just realized how low quality the mic Kate was using to record the lines. If you guys can withhold judgement on the current recordings, I can get her to rerecord them with a better mic within a day or two.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 27, 2014, 03:26:23 am »

Don't read the poem title.
Speak a lower octave if possible.
Watch the meter and the pacing.
Think hopeless.
Think burdened.
Think hungry.
Think cold.
Life sucks and everybody dies.
Only allow yourself to smile in 'autumn', and make it bittersweet.

I believe in you. Go forth and strike the earth.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 104