Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 551732 times)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1215 on: September 18, 2014, 11:20:32 am »

New update for soundpack is up! Both via autoupdate and via full download

Five new songs by Simon Swerwer!

And small touchups.

Cheers!

In data/init/init.txt, change [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO].

Or you can just delete files in music directory :-)

I dont believe ive said it before, but thanks for doing this whole thing.
Also, thanks for poiting out that simon made some new df songs, seeing s im a big fan of the old ones.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 18, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »

For information, the link in your homepage is 404, but http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_43_189.zip works instead.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #1217 on: September 19, 2014, 10:12:36 am »

Just had an idle thought while considering my -rather extensive- collection of music suited to playing DF. Is it technically feasible to add support for playlist files like .m3u or .pls? That would certainly cut down the amount of typing involved in adding songs.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 21, 2014, 02:30:41 am »

Anyone have the 43_190 build laying around? (as others have said, it's 404 - source archive too)

It's not clear what revision on Google Code is the "right" one, here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:38:28 am by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1219 on: September 21, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »

Just had an idle thought while considering my -rather extensive- collection of music suited to playing DF. Is it technically feasible to add support for playlist files like .m3u or .pls? That would certainly cut down the amount of typing involved in adding songs.

Yes, yes it is. And I have done it:

New release, 2014-1, http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_2014-1_193.zip

New things: support for playlists. See packs/default/sample.xml for examples of usage.¨

Basically, you can reference playlist in soundfile tag instead of ordinary sound file, you just have to mark it with playlist="true" attribute.

I just found this complaint about the "soundsense.lua" script prematurely announcing ambushes as a vile force of darkness, and thought I'd repost it here.

Ill look into that, thanks.

Anyone have the 43_190 build laying around? (as others have said, it's 404 - source archive too)

It's not clear what revision on Google Code is the "right" one, here.

Yeah, releases were confused, now homepage should point to right file.

New update for soundpack is up! Both via autoupdate and via full download

Five new songs by Simon Swerwer!

And small touchups.

Cheers!

In data/init/init.txt, change [SOUND:YES] to [SOUND:NO].

Or you can just delete files in music directory :-)

I dont believe ive said it before, but thanks for doing this whole thing.
Also, thanks for poiting out that simon made some new df songs, seeing s im a big fan of the old ones.

Simon is owed huge part of success of soundsense, definitelly.

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #1220 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:06 am »

Simon is owed huge part of success of soundsense, definitelly.

Hell, I keep feeling I'm not doing enough. This bloody game is eerily motivating and freakishly inspiring to me.

Let me know if you need anything else. Seriously.

Kinda mopey, off-topic P.S.:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #1221 on: September 23, 2014, 05:53:24 am »

Excellent! Thanks zwei.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 28, 2014, 09:37:03 am »

I forgot to ask ages ago, but whats with the inbuilt music update feature?
I says it downloads all the stuff, but it really doesnt.

DL-ing stuff from the site works I guess, but i cant skip the feeling that the program doesnt play all the seasonal music it should.
Hell, I keep feeling I'm not doing enough. This bloody game is eerily motivating and freakishly inspiring to me.

Let me know if you need anything else. Seriously.
Well, shit.
I dont know what else to say but to just keep the good stuff rolling.
Personally im hoping for another tankard basher style one.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:42:30 am by Z1000000m »

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 28, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »

I forgot to ask ages ago, but whats with the inbuilt music update feature?
I says it downloads all the stuff, but it really doesnt.

DL-ing stuff from the site works I guess, but i cant skip the feeling that the program doesnt play all the seasonal music it should.

are you using SoundSense via PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack? I was having the same trouble with the SoundSense that was included with the Starter Pack myself -- I'd click "Start Update" on the "Pack Update" tab, and the *first* time it would go and download almost everything.  So then I'd restart SoundSense and try the "Start Update" button again .... every time after that it would go through the motions like it was downloading another couple dozen audio files, but wouldn't actually save them.  If I tried updating again it would just keep "downloading" the exact same list of audio files every time and failing to actually save them.

...so eventually I tried downloading a clean install of SoundSense straight from http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/ separately from the starter pack, and now the autoupdate works as expected and it plays some additional new songs and sounds that I wasn't getting before.

--nomad_delta

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1224 on: September 28, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

I have two reason for being here. First off on the topic of music that gets downloaded with the starter pack as compared to the full pack. I don't know if it actually is connected but when I used just the starter pack and uploaded youtube videos I never got a copyright hit. However when I tried with the full pack the first video I tried it with got hit. Like I said I don't know if it is connected but yeah. (on a side note is there a pack with only sounds that wont get me hit over the head on youtube?)

My other thing is I am having Java problem. I decided to play the Minecraft Crash Landing map and 1.8 java wasn't happy with it so I had to do some Java musical chairs so it was pointing at a viable version and now I apparently don't have the correct version for SoundSense or there is something pointing somewhere wrong. Is there a specific version it needs or do I need to uninstall it all and go the hard path of trying to redo it all?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: September 29, 2014, 07:17:37 am »

To people with the autoupdate over-and-over-again download problem: the autoupdate function in soundsense is broken, it doesn't work with song names with spaces in it. Don't use it and download the soundpack manually instead.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:11 am »

This is probably a question that has been asked before, but...

Where did the awesome "dwarf language" bits ("Eku!" etc.) come from?  Are they in a real language, or just someone's interpretation of Dwarven?

I crack up every time a dwarf panics and runs off going "kuruuuuuuuk...."  :D
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #1227 on: October 02, 2014, 08:04:25 am »

This is probably a question that has been asked before, but...

Where did the awesome "dwarf language" bits ("Eku!" etc.) come from?  Are they in a real language, or just someone's interpretation of Dwarven?

I crack up every time a dwarf panics and runs off going "kuruuuuuuuk...."  :D

Oh it's legit, brah. Full-on canon 'n shit. We decided on the game's language and I think it'll work out well down the line (also, for me, to avoid my Sauf Efrikuhn accent in the recording):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's in the lingua franca human language though (for now).
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 02, 2014, 09:11:11 am »

In the old (and maybe current, I'm not sure) recordings there was one I couldn't understand.  Maybe it was also in the dwarven language.  It was used during tantrums, I think.  It was a male dwarf shouting: "I'm gonna turn you into - - !"

The "- -" are the two words I don't understand.  Any hints?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 02, 2014, 12:27:35 pm »

Oh it's legit, brah. Full-on canon 'n shit. We decided on the game's language and I think it'll work out well down the line (also, for me, to avoid my Sauf Efrikuhn accent in the recording):

It's in the lingua franca human language though (for now).

This is pure, shining money right here.  Such a better answer than I ever hoped for  :)  Thanks.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 104