Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 552815 times)

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1230 on: October 03, 2014, 06:40:44 am »

Oh it's legit, brah. Full-on canon 'n shit. We decided on the game's language and I think it'll work out well down the line (also, for me, to avoid my Sauf Efrikuhn accent in the recording):

It's in the lingua franca human language though (for now).

This is pure, shining money right here.  Such a better answer than I ever hoped for  :)  Thanks.

Ain't no thang, diggah
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #1231 on: October 03, 2014, 07:38:52 am »

Anyone able to translate this?
Code: [Select]
03/10/2014 12:56:44.765: Exception with ./packs/seasons/alexandrzhelanov/Ambush in buch.mp3: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: null
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openImpl(PulseAudioMixer.java:714)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openLocal(PulseAudioMixer.java:588)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openLocal(PulseAudioMixer.java:584)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.open(PulseAudioMixer.java:579)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioDataLine.open(PulseAudioDataLine.java:94)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioSourceDataLine.open(PulseAudioSourceDataLine.java:75)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioSourceDataLine.open(PulseAudioSourceDataLine.java:90)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.SPIPlayer.getLine(Unknown Source)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.SPIPlayer.rawPlay(Unknown Source)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.SPIPlayer.play(Unknown Source)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.ChannelThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:23 am »

Anyone able to translate this?
Code: [Select]
03/10/2014 12:56:44.765: Exception with ./packs/seasons/alexandrzhelanov/Ambush in buch.mp3: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: null
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openImpl(PulseAudioMixer.java:714)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openLocal(PulseAudioMixer.java:588)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openLocal(PulseAudioMixer.java:584)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.open(PulseAudioMixer.java:579)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioDataLine.open(PulseAudioDataLine.java:94)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioSourceDataLine.open(PulseAudioSourceDataLine.java:75)
at org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioSourceDataLine.open(PulseAudioSourceDataLine.java:90)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.SPIPlayer.getLine(Unknown Source)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.SPIPlayer.rawPlay(Unknown Source)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.SPIPlayer.play(Unknown Source)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.output.sound.player.ChannelThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
I think that's Java for "no".

Not an expert in the audio system, but it looks like it might be that particular mp3 file (unless it was the first one, which is unlikely for an ambush).  If other sounds seem to play, rename buch.mp3 and replace it with a fresh download.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 03, 2014, 10:55:01 am »

I think that's Java for "no".
Thanks for making my day, I really needed a laugh :P

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 03, 2014, 11:14:55 am »

On a closer look, it might be an mp3 file named "Ambush in buch", in which case it very might be the first sound played.  Still worth trying to rename and replace the file since that's simple and doesn't involve fiddling with SoundSense's internal plumbing.

But the translation is still "no".
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #1235 on: October 03, 2014, 03:20:04 pm »

Unfortunately, I get the same message for every sound file.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 03, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

Unfortunately, I get the same message for every sound file.
According to Google, that error message means that Java couldn't grab a resource needed to output the sound "probably" because some other process has it allocated.  Until one of the audio experts can weigh in, I can only recommend you turn off sound in any other applications (including DF itself) and relaunch SoundSense.
Just got back, updating:

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #1237 on: October 05, 2014, 04:14:51 am »

Never mind, guys, I've found the solution in the Advanced Documentation on the wiki.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 16, 2014, 01:34:09 pm »

This is probably a question that has been asked before, but...

Where did the awesome "dwarf language" bits ("Eku!" etc.) come from?  Are they in a real language, or just someone's interpretation of Dwarven?

I crack up every time a dwarf panics and runs off going "kuruuuuuuuk...."  :D

Oh it's legit, brah. Full-on canon 'n shit. We decided on the game's language and I think it'll work out well down the line (also, for me, to avoid my Sauf Efrikuhn accent in the recording):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's in the lingua franca human language though (for now).

Ah, that's what that was about - I came here to post a bug: "Help! Some of my dwarf's audiofiles seem to be in a different language! Did I fuck up the localisation!?" (honestly I was convinced I had somehow managed to download some files in Swedish or something, haha!) That issue's resolved, then. Carry on then.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 16, 2014, 05:38:42 pm »

Downloading the soundpack from the SoundSense site is impossible. No way, from either the automatic update from SoundSense itself or the manual download from the link on the site, will work. What's going on?

Cruster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 17, 2014, 07:05:18 pm »

Yup. completely concur. Both automatic and manual downloads are as slow as treacle and just stall out and fail.
I think he must be experiencing some problems with his website/ISP/or combination thereof ?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 18, 2014, 08:50:01 am »

Have you had any blind players asking after this? It's been a while since i played, so i wonder if this has background noise like birdsong yet.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:33 pm »

I love Soundsense so hard. So hard it hurts!

However, I would like to offer one suggestion if I may.

Have a way to input new music (or sounds, whatever) from within the utility. For example, a button that says "add music" which asks you to browse to the desired file, checks file compatibility, and asks what season's playlist to add it to. Then it copies the file to the needed location and automatically makes the required adjustments to the xml to make it play. That would be sweet, after all these countless hours, some more variety would be a good thing.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Equinox

• Bay Watcher
  • The end is near for us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 25, 2014, 06:10:20 pm »

Got a weird error when to start SoundSense the second time (first time worked fine). My version of SoundSense was downloaded together with LazyNewbPack[0.34.07]. I have java version 1.7.

[Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
27/04/2012 03:35:15.110: Exception :org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1;

I was going to post here and ask away immediately, but since I wanted to be able to play (with sound) now, I googled (also, I didnt want to look stupid). After some investigation I found that this was caused by the "configuration.xml" file, it had been currupted and contained only a long string of [NULL] boxes (viewed in notepad++). Once I restored the config file to vanilla the app was working again.

Posting this here in case someone else is googling around. Also, I wonder how the config file could get corrupted?

I today had almost this same error (which I found weird considering I played it for a few hours last night without issue) - I tried to Google it for myself but didn't find a fix but this comment that I'm quoting was what I needed. My configuration.xml file was completely blank. I'm using Masterwork mod and from there I just redownloaded it and changed the file over, and it now works.

Just thought I'd point out the issue I was having and how to fix it, in case someone else comes here and doesn't want to read through 20+ pages to find the solution.
"They say the flapping wings of a single butterfly can stir a wind on the other side of the world. Ever wonder what impact your little bat wings have on this world?"

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 31, 2014, 08:53:33 am »

Hey guys -

I do video tutorials for Dwarf Fortress, and I'm routinely seeing "third party content matches" on the sound effects and music from Soundsense.

Where can I go to determine that all sounds in the sound pack distributed as part of the Soundsense package are public domain or used with permissions, so I can dispute this?
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 104