Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 548011 times)

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1245 on: October 31, 2014, 11:15:21 am »

Hey guys -

I do video tutorials for Dwarf Fortress, and I'm routinely seeing "third party content matches" on the sound effects and music from Soundsense.

Where can I go to determine that all sounds in the sound pack distributed as part of the Soundsense package are public domain or used with permissions, so I can dispute this?

Dude, I make all the Simon Swerwer songs and they can eat Kobold d*** if it's about one of mine and you're not making dinero off of them (hell, it's fair use to me even if you do). They're all

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
CC BY-NC-SA

Dispute the crap out of it. I got your back.
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 01, 2014, 02:03:28 pm »

No,  It's the Greig track in the hall of the mountain king. I know the song is probably public domain but I'm not sure about this particular recording.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1247 on: November 03, 2014, 11:39:39 am »

No,  It's the Greig track in the hall of the mountain king. I know the song is probably public domain but I'm not sure about this particular recording.

Yes, I checked ID3 Tags and its recording is not PD, even thou song is. Sorry about that.

I have deleted it from pack and it will be gone in next update, in meantime you should delete it from your pack and it will no longer spoil video music.

That should be the last of non-free music, but if you get any more matches, definitely tell us again.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1248 on: November 03, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »

Ah so the pack is now free of music that will claim my videos? Good to know, now I just need to get it working again.

Edit: Well I have it working again. As I suspected it was a Java problem. I basically ended up uninstalling 1.7 and reinstalling 1.6 (it apparently uninstalled wrong or something at some point), restarting the computer, uninstalling 1.6 (at this step I also did one of my uninstall sweeps where I remove the various cruft that tends to accumulate), restart the computer again, install 1.6, restart computer, check that soundsense worked (it did), reinstall 1.7, restart computer, check FTB minecraft works which it did (what originally borked it all up because it doesn't play well with 1.8 which when removed did something), and now I am here (I skipped a few things like running ccleaner, ultradefrag, and the fact that where I say uninstall I mean I used revouninstaller except for 1.6 which doesn't show up)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:09:41 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 04, 2014, 01:53:06 pm »

Yes, I checked ID3 Tags and its recording is not PD, even thou song is. Sorry about that.

I have deleted it from pack and it will be gone in next update, in meantime you should delete it from your pack and it will no longer spoil video music.

That should be the last of non-free music, but if you get any more matches, definitely tell us again.

Will do - thanks for checking the repository. I'd love to see a replacement of this with a new PD recording of the track, which I think is remarkably appropriate for DF in general. :)

argo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 23, 2014, 10:38:42 am »

I'm trying to get SoundSense working on OS X 10.10 and DF 0.40.17, but without luck. I keep getting this error:

Code: [Select]
philip:~ $ sh /Applications/df_osx\ 0.40.17/soundsense/soundsense.sh                                         
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/fusesource/jansi/AnsiConsole
    at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.util.log.LoggerSource.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.fusesource.jansi.AnsiConsole
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:372)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:360)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
... 2 more

I have java version 8 update 25, which is the latest.

java -version
outputs:

java version "1.8.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

So that should be fine. I have tried a modified soundsense.sh also found in this thread, but same result. Opening the jar itself gives an undefined error without any details, and nothing is noted in the console.

Is it a problem on my end or is there something else at work here?

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 26, 2014, 03:03:20 am »

sound sence is running in the background but isn't doing anything, i updated of course

tthink i have java 1.8, latest. do i need to uninstall this 1 and get 1.6? and would that also be the reason why i'm having issues with alot of other utilities?
if so where is a good place to download it, can't find any for 1.6
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

haddock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 04, 2014, 04:23:34 pm »

Hello! I've been looking around on this thread, as well as trying different edits of system.xml, but I cannot get music to play when starting the game. I'm trying to put my own song in there.

This is the top of my system.xml:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have checked that I have a sub folder in /packs/System called "theme", and that the song is in there and correctly named. When starting soundsense and DF, all it says is that it's playing the weather channel. I tried changing the channel to "weather" just to see if that worked, but it didn't. The gamelog.txt tells me "*** STARTING NEW GAME ***", followed by an announcement that spring has arrived and that the weather has cleared. Anyone know what's up with this?

I apologize in advance if this has been brought up other times, but like I said, I wasn't able to find any info on that when searching the thread.

Probably also worth noting that I'm using the packSkeletons.zip pack. 

EDIT: Upon further testing (by trying to change the sound when finding new ores, and adding siege music), I found that the only sounds I've found that will play are the seasonal songs. Help would be highly appreciated! The packs where my non-playing sounds are located don't show up in the Soundsense Pack Configuration window, but the seasons folder does.

EDIT 2: I tried using the official sound pack, all packs load in the Pack Configuration window and then deleting all sound files there, and I only get default.xml, seasons.xml, trading.xml and weather.xml to show. I also tried editing the .xml file and removing all entries that didn't have an actual sound file attached to them, without success.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:52:37 am by haddock »

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 04, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »

zwei, when you remove tracks, could you please tell which ones and have some sort of changelog? I've been a faithful soundsense user since its very creation and the pack has greatly evolved since. Some tracks I liked were deleted, some were added and removed again, etc. But there's no kind of list that keeps track of all the, well, soundtracks over time. I find it immensely frustrating to find out a specific track I liked but whose name I didn't know has been removed and I can't get it back when I autoupdate.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:39 am »

I love this mod! Except for the pick up and drop sounds. Granted, pick up and drop sounds in any game are questionable given the item in question and the material upon which it is placed (or from which it is taken) rarely match up to the sound - but the current sounds are like 5 seconds long of LOUD skirts rustling (judging from the name of the mp3 and the sound) and it's that sound of scratching fabric that gives a lot of people jitters. 

I will probably replace them myself at some point, but I would imagine that other people share my shuddering at the constant distracting skirt rustling when dropping stuff out of backpacks. I'd be glad to record some replacement sounds (I've worked on this type of thing for bugfixes for fallout: new vegas, not the sound in question but the items to which the sounds are applied) if you're open to replacing them. If not I'll just do it for myself. :D

And I don't mean to be rude about this or insulting to whomever recorded said sounds. Maybe this is just me that thinks this. I searched the thread with the search feature but didn't come up with anything, but maybe didn't put the right keywords in.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1255 on: December 10, 2014, 09:15:21 am »

Hello! I've been looking around on this thread, as well as trying different edits of system.xml, but I cannot get music to play when starting the game. I'm trying to put my own song in there.

This is the top of my system.xml:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have checked that I have a sub folder in /packs/System called "theme", and that the song is in there and correctly named. When starting soundsense and DF, all it says is that it's playing the weather channel. I tried changing the channel to "weather" just to see if that worked, but it didn't. The gamelog.txt tells me "*** STARTING NEW GAME ***", followed by an announcement that spring has arrived and that the weather has cleared. Anyone know what's up with this?

I apologize in advance if this has been brought up other times, but like I said, I wasn't able to find any info on that when searching the thread.

Probably also worth noting that I'm using the packSkeletons.zip pack. 

EDIT: Upon further testing (by trying to change the sound when finding new ores, and adding siege music), I found that the only sounds I've found that will play are the seasonal songs. Help would be highly appreciated! The packs where my non-playing sounds are located don't show up in the Soundsense Pack Configuration window, but the seasons folder does.

EDIT 2: I tried using the official sound pack, all packs load in the Pack Configuration window and then deleting all sound files there, and I only get default.xml, seasons.xml, trading.xml and weather.xml to show. I also tried editing the .xml file and removing all entries that didn't have an actual sound file attached to them, without success.

Can you send me your whole custom pack?

I’ll try to debug it.

zwei, when you remove tracks, could you please tell which ones and have some sort of changelog? I've been a faithful soundsense user since its very creation and the pack has greatly evolved since. Some tracks I liked were deleted, some were added and removed again, etc. But there's no kind of list that keeps track of all the, well, soundtracks over time. I find it immensely frustrating to find out a specific track I liked but whose name I didn't know has been removed and I can't get it back when I autoupdate.

First, you propably want to uncheck configuration of autoupdate which allows it to delete old files.

Seccond, I have not really kept changelog changelog for individual files. However, xml files are in repository, so getting track history could be easily done by checking diffs for seasons.xml

I love this mod! Except for the pick up and drop sounds. Granted, pick up and drop sounds in any game are questionable given the item in question and the material upon which it is placed (or from which it is taken) rarely match up to the sound - but the current sounds are like 5 seconds long of LOUD skirts rustling (judging from the name of the mp3 and the sound) and it's that sound of scratching fabric that gives a lot of people jitters. 

I will probably replace them myself at some point, but I would imagine that other people share my shuddering at the constant distracting skirt rustling when dropping stuff out of backpacks. I'd be glad to record some replacement sounds (I've worked on this type of thing for bugfixes for fallout: new vegas, not the sound in question but the items to which the sounds are applied) if you're open to replacing them. If not I'll just do it for myself. :D

And I don't mean to be rude about this or insulting to whomever recorded said sounds. Maybe this is just me that thinks this. I searched the thread with the search feature but didn't come up with anything, but maybe didn't put the right keywords in.

Rustling sound was chosen to simulate "putting into packpack".

If you want to suggest new sounds, it is very welcome. If you want to supply them yourself, it is even more welcome! :-)

Rustling sound originated from freesound.org, so there will be no hurt feelings.

I'm trying to get SoundSense working on OS X 10.10 and DF 0.40.17, but without luck. I keep getting this error:

philip:~ $ sh /Applications/df_osx\ 0.40.17/soundsense/soundsense.sh                                         
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/fusesource/jansi/AnsiConsole
    at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.util.log.LoggerSource.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.fusesource.jansi.AnsiConsole
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:372)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:360)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
... 2 more

I have java version 8 update 25, which is the latest.

java -version
outputs:

java version "1.8.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

So that should be fine. I have tried a modified soundsense.sh also found in this thread, but same result. Opening the jar itself gives an undefined error without any details, and nothing is noted in the console.

Is it a problem on my end or is there something else at work here?

Did you by chance have old vesion of sounsense over which you copied new one?

Error seems to point to the fact that soundsense.sh script does not contain reference to jansi-1.8.jar in lib directory or that this file is missing.

argo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 12, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »

Did you by chance have old vesion of sounsense over which you copied new one?

Error seems to point to the fact that soundsense.sh script does not contain reference to jansi-1.8.jar in lib directory or that this file is missing.

I downloaded it again and extracted the folder in the df folder. The config points to the correct gamelog.txt. Same problem :(

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: December 27, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »

I really don't like Fear2_1 through Fear2_4  it says OOOST all the time which means Cheeeeese in Swedish.

So basically the dwarves are running around shouting for cheese when they are afraid.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 27, 2014, 05:13:33 pm »

I really don't like Fear2_1 through Fear2_4  it says OOOST all the time which means Cheeeeese in Swedish.

So basically the dwarves are running around shouting for cheese when they are afraid.
Ost means "fear" in DF's human language.  I think the only cheese-related fear in DF is getting a migrant wave full of legendary cheesemakers when you really need a weaponsmith :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 29, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »

Ost means "fear" in DF's human language.  I think the only cheese-related fear in DF is getting a migrant wave full of legendary cheesemakers when you really need a weaponsmith :)
Well it's horrible :) I just took them out now.

It's not like I run around shouting FEAR FEAR FEAR whenever I'm scared. AAArgh or Ooooh would be more appropriate.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 104