Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 552443 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1395 on: June 17, 2016, 03:30:18 pm »

Is there any chance of the sounds configuration screen inside the utility getting an overhaul? It's kind of difficult to catch an annoying sound and disable it while playing.

I've noticed the source is distributed with the utility, but has anyone developed their own branch?

(Just realized I accidentally posted this in the Stonesense thread last week, and nobody said anything about it.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 17, 2016, 03:37:27 pm »

(Just realized I accidentally posted this in the Stonesense thread last week, and nobody said anything about it.)

The names are so similar that I didn't even notice.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 17, 2016, 11:20:39 pm »

Nice! 8) I found two more sources for free sounds:

http://pdsounds.tuxfamily.org/   (An old backup of pdsounds.org, before it died)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples

Actually, the second link is more fitting for the "Free loops and stems" category than "Free sound effects". However, it does have some sound effects, so it more-or-less fits both.

...Did you check https://archive.org/details/PdsoundsArchive

I decided to list http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_audio under the Music category because, out of the millions of public domain and creative commons recordings there, over 98% of that seems to be music and voice recordings. To find a few exceptions that could be directly used as sound effects, let alone appropriate for DF and SoundSense, would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

The "pdsounds archive" you link consists of 10 sound effects. That's the entirety of this collection. It does have 57 files listed. But that's because it offers the same 10 sound effects in various formats. As such, I don't think it's worth listing.

Archive.org is pretty impressive, it grabs content you think is otherwise dead at times.

I used to be impressed by Archive.org. It was so useful to look at an old site, esp. after the original is gone. But several years ago I noticed more and more archived sites filled with nothing but broken "snapshot" links. And more and more sites are not cached/archived at all. Or they won't show you what they have. What is the point of "preserving" the Internet if they turn around and delete their content or otherwise block the public from browsing what they have?

Around the same time, they broadened their scope to host books, music, software, and videos. Heck, if you click anywhere below the top third of their home page, the WaybackMachine search field disappears. Clearly, their search field for books, music, software, and videos is meant to be the site's (and their organization's) new focus.

I still find Archive.org useful on occasion. But, anymore, I find Google's cache of a site to be more reliable.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:35 pm »

Hi, I just wanted to make sure that you're okay with SoundSense being included in Lazy Newb Packs. Is that okay with you?

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 26, 2016, 08:00:49 pm »

Disregard, I figured it out.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:34:47 pm by Topodic »

Endergobbett15

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 10, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »

Hello to all that might help.
I've been having some issues running Soundsense with the Lazy Newb Pack. Whenever I try to run it, it keeps saying that I am missing my ss_fix.log. Can someone help me with this? no matter what I cant seem to find that file

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:06 pm »

Hello to all that might help.
I've been having some issues running Soundsense with the Lazy Newb Pack. Whenever I try to run it, it keeps saying that I am missing my ss_fix.log. Can someone help me with this? no matter what I cant seem to find that file
Maybe it's not used anymore. It was used by dfhack to announce certain extra things (like weather/season when loading a save,) but as far as I can tell it just writes them to gamelog.txt now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:14:31 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Endergobbett15

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 13, 2016, 03:22:33 am »

ok, could you please tell me where to find that then. I am having difficulty with finding this too. (before anyone says anything, I do know a thing or two about programming and script). I phrase this question with utmost respect.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 13, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »

It's no longer used; just delete the 'supplemental logs' line in configuration.xml

(if you point it at the gamelog, like I did, you get doubled sounds.  Oops)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Endergobbett15

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 13, 2016, 02:12:49 pm »

ok thanks, ill give this a try

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:01 pm »

I'm not going to read all 57 pages to check if this has been answered before (unless forced), but is there any way to separate background music volume from FX (event) volume (weather, eg rain/storm would be good too)?

Currently I'm being blasted by high rain & pipes FX volume while the music stays low.. or vice versa if I alter the global volume (IYSWIM)..

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 14, 2016, 07:03:40 pm »

I'm not going to read all 57 pages to check if this has been answered before (unless forced), but is there any way to separate background music volume from FX (event) volume (weather, eg rain/storm would be good too)?

Currently I'm being blasted by high rain & pipes FX volume while the music stays low.. or vice versa if I alter the global volume (IYSWIM)..
There's a mention of volume on each entry of the utility's sound config, which seems to be 0 (default) for every entry I've looked at.

Try adding a "volume" field to an entry like so:
Code: (packs\weather\weather.xml) [Select]
<soundFile fileName="goreRain/116730__benboncan__drips-in-mine.mp3" volume="-10" />
This is just guesswork. I don't know if the field is actually called "volume", nor how quiet -10 is (use the general volume to figure that out.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:05:17 pm by Bumber »

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 14, 2016, 08:25:52 pm »

My carefully crafted reply just got lost :(

Anyway, it appears that <music> & <weather> currently have a simple on/off switch; if the switch could be changed to volume sliders (independent preferably), along with <FX> (those damn pipes!) this would solve most of my gripes :)

(I've no idea what those red boxes next to the speaker icons are meant to indicate.. are they useful or can they be repurposed?)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 14, 2016, 09:07:22 pm »

Anyway, it appears that <music> & <weather> currently have a simple on/off switch; if the switch could be changed to volume sliders (independent preferably), along with <FX> (those damn pipes!) this would solve most of my gripes :)

(I've no idea what those red boxes next to the speaker icons are meant to indicate.. are they useful or can they be repurposed?)
The sounds configuration page isn't that great, as it stands. If you want to get rid of the pipes, you need to remove a line from one of the config files. There's one that plays from any (unmatched?) string ("(.+): (.+)" in packs\default\sample.xml), and one that plays for work orders ("(.+) has been completed\." in packs\production\production.xml).

The red box stops a sound that's currently playing. It's kind of useless, given how short most sounds are.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:15:11 pm by Bumber »

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 15, 2016, 05:25:26 am »

OK fairynuff; tks for the info :)
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 104