Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 552445 times)

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1410 on: July 15, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »

JOOI what I desired was 3 'channels', each individually volume-controllabe. So rather than removing eg (pipes/seasons/background) entirely I can set their individual volume

I'd like background music, but not as loud as it is currently; similarly I don't object to pipes or other FX provided they can be adjusted (IMO FX are the most useful IMO), or weather..

Apologies if this makes little sense from a programmer's PoV; I haven't played with sound for 20yrs now, & even then I was only dabbling.. ;)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 17, 2016, 08:38:54 am »

One of them, in particular, is useless. It's configured to play all the time for no reason. (Not sure if it was put in as a troll or just on accident.)

The production one can be useful, but if you're using the new conditional work orders (checking daily), it can be triggering all the time with:
Skull totem (1) has been completed.
Plant cloth (1) has been completed.
Brew drink from plant (2) has been completed.
Cloth trousers (1) has been completed.

I get where you're coming from. I would've liked to turn down the sound of the rain, if I didn't have the issue of non-stop phantom rain on my embark.

I don't think you can adjust them based on channels. There's certainly no way to do it from the Soundsense utility. You'll have to adjust them per message in the xml configuration files. (I believe they have channel numbers defined in the files, but it's not going to make changing the volume levels of each any less tedious.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:52:53 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 17, 2016, 12:02:24 pm »

OK, tks for the advice anyway; I was presenting this as more of a speculation for an update (in case a dev's watching) rather than expecting the facility to be in the current pack :)

Changing each individual music file/FX/WHY is too much of a PITA for me to do by hand; I'll just put up with the current stuff until an update comes along :)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 17, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »

Since i'm actually working on a replacement (without the need of java, can't stand the company oracle...) i hereby present:

SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense.
It uses the same SoundPack, channels (weather, music, sfx etc) are all with own volume/mute controls.

Why did i do it? I reinstalled my computer and of course wanted to continue my fortress. But like i mentioned, i dislike Oracle (as much as Adobe).
So i couldn't use SoundSense. What else to do other than rewrite it?

It's beta at the moment (missing features, GUI upgrades), but good enough to play for hours.

Source: https://github.com/algorithman/SoundCenSe/tree/release/v1.0.2.1

I would be glad to get some thoughts/improvement idea/wishes.

System requirements: .net 4.5.1

How to use: Compile, then run once without a running DF and click the 'Update SoundPack' button. After it finishes, just start up DF, it'll automatically use the gamelog in the DF folder.

I hope you enjoy it.

When i'm done coding, i'll make a proper announcement post.

- Thx to zweistein for his source

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 20, 2016, 07:26:26 pm »

Tks for that Al; wish it didn't use .Net though :(

I'll take a look sometime when I start a new embark.. & figure out how to run it under LNP ;)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 21, 2016, 01:31:13 am »

If you wait a few more days, i work quite a bit on it atm. only after work though, i wish i had more free time  :(

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:07 pm »

Since i'm actually working on a replacement (without the need of java, can't stand the company oracle...) i hereby present:

SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense.
It uses the same SoundPack, channels (weather, music, sfx etc) are all with own volume/mute controls.

Why did i do it? I reinstalled my computer and of course wanted to continue my fortress. But like i mentioned, i dislike Oracle (as much as Adobe).
So i couldn't use SoundSense. What else to do other than rewrite it?

[Snip]

I hope you enjoy it.

When i'm done coding, i'll make a proper announcement post.

- Thx to zweistein for his source

OpenJDK is from Oracle. Microsoft is just as bad.

On that note, does it work with Mono? (On an android tablet for two more weeks so I can't check myself)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 26, 2016, 02:29:06 am »

thanks for the alternative!
athough i don't know how to compile it, i'll gladly use it.
i too was shocked when reading the EULA from some of the latest updates of those "necesseties".
-skype claims the rights to every idea you communicate through their program
-adobe flash strictly forbids the use on an offline device and sells user data
what's with java/oracle?
if not for minecraft and some tools, i could go without it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 27, 2016, 03:47:29 am »

unintended doublepost :( please delete!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 27, 2016, 04:44:14 am »

I had to deal with oracle because of mysql once (commercial). Never again, i'm glad mariadb came out.

Btw, since you're here, is it a big effort for you to normalize the samplerates of the soundfiles?
Most come in 44.1kHz (i think), but some differ. If they were all the same, it would be much easier, since i don't have to resample them on the fly.

edit: As i discovered now, at least on debian SDL (or better the SMPEG*) library has serious trouble with mp3's with id2+ tags. The ogg files play fine.
So i extend my question: is it a big effort to convert them to ogg with the same sample rate?

all fine now, FMOD is great

* the SMPEG library included in debian wont do mp3 id2+ tags, SMPEG2 library would, but isnt available for debian at all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:21:38 am by Algorithman »

KristoffPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 31, 2016, 10:08:55 am »

Hello, I have a little problem. For some reason when  after a few months of not-dorfing I came back to a fresh DF and soundence installation, I noticed that the woman announcer voices for announcing seasons ("Winter has arrived", etc.) are not playing anymore. Instead, It just goes straight to playing the next season song playlist.
I checked the packs folder and the voice files are still there. I have no idea what could be causing this. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 31, 2016, 10:16:01 am »

I'm not sure if this is still the case but way back if you embarked on a tropical biome (and maybe an arctic one too donno) the season change message is different. In tropical bomes the message notes that the season has arrived 'on the calendar', instead of saying it's there, as kind of a reference to the tropics not really having the traditional seasons most of the world is used to.

At any rate the slight difference in the wording of the message in the tropics throws Soundsense off and the message doesn't trigger.  Message still seems to work fine elsewhere at least for me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:18:09 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

KristoffPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 31, 2016, 04:40:50 pm »

Yep, seems like that was it. Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can edit out the xml files to play those voicelines like it should.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:13:33 am by KristoffPL »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:20 pm »

I've got an issue where the season announcer is firing twice every season, so two phrases are being played on top of each other? Any ideas? Did a cursory search of the thread and only found a mention of this back in 2010. No other sounds seem to be firing twice other than those.

Installed SS from the PyLNP.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:12 pm »

I've got an issue where the season announcer is firing twice every season, so two phrases are being played on top of each other? Any ideas? Did a cursory search of the thread and only found a mention of this back in 2010. No other sounds seem to be firing twice other than those.

Installed SS from the PyLNP.

SoundSense might configured incorrectly in the Starter Pack. Peridexis has mentioned it in the Starter Pack thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg7103878#msg7103878

I wonder if it's working okay in the Lazy Mac Pack. I only tested SoundSense in the arena and probably wouldn't have noticed if anything was playing twice.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 104