Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 553050 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2010, 02:54:12 pm »

What about gradually decreasing volume?...

Volume is going to be affected by distance from viewpoint (and be 5.1 positioned evnetually once we get DFHack intengration working reliably), so I am not going to do that just yet.

There are sooo many ways to handle this. I'd like to learn how profesionally developed games ... i am sure that devs had to deal with combat sound spam during busy RTS battles for example.

Guess best would be not to have "Interrupted by" and "Location unavaiable" sounds at all, it is not like it really helps anything.

Oh, will anyone be able to create startup script for Linux? I've tried meddling with classpath, but without any success(well, i don't have any experience in java coding), it throws exceptions like that:
Code: [Select]
and that's obviously some sound playback library issue, and, well, that's all i can say. It would be really terrible to not have such a potent and nice program under Linux, when it's specifically written with crossplatform language.

Oh, and also, i am rather curious about title of the music at the very beginning oh "Ah, welcome to our new home" video. Loved it, but was unable to find it among soundtrack files.

Yep, that is classpath issue. You need to set classpath variable to contain path to freetts (should be in "./lib/freetts-1.2/freetts.jar")

I will try it out in linux over weekend and procure .sh script.

---

As for music from video, we replaced it in current soundpacks so it is not there anymore.

Before embark, it was "Final Epic Battle" by Telaron: http://opengameart.org/content/final-epic-battle
After bembark, it was "For Originz" by Kevin MacLeod: http://www.incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?keywords=for+originz&Search=Search

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2010, 03:09:12 pm »

You have my gratitudes.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »

zwei FYI rainseeker did a bunch of new recordings. Too lazy to wait for you to sign onto ICQ to tell you.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2010, 12:13:17 pm »

Check your Messages Tyrspawn. Sorry it took so long to reply, I was deeply absent from this forum, and My internet went apeshit a lot.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »

Loving the "they promised me rivers of alcohol" embark message...
This is a blank sig.

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2010, 05:01:01 am »

Great, great project...It is going to add so much to this awesome game.
Thanks a lot to all the contributors. ;)

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

Ehm I cannot geti it to work...I've checked the ini and the sound is enebled, I've done all that was necessary with the java runtime (changed the path).

If I try to run the soundsense cmq I get this, repeated with all the others dir:

24/08/2010 05:13:54.121: Sound for 'The (.+) has lodged firmly in the wound!' do
es not contain any soundFiles and is not speech or end of loop, ignoring.
24/08/2010 05:13:54.126: Sound for 'Many nerves have been severed(.*)!' does not
 contain any soundFiles and is not speech or end of loop, ignoring.
24/08/2010 05:13:54.139: Sound for 'The (.+) counterstrikes!' does not contain a
ny soundFiles and is not speech or end of loop, ignoring.

In-game I only hear the intro.

I've unpacked all (the mod plus the 90MB pack) in the main dwf directory, so I don't know where is the problem. :-\
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:26:10 am by Gatallorsith »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:03 am »

You have my gratitudes.

Okay, theese two commands

export CLASSPATH=./:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.4.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspi1.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/freetts-1.2/freetts.jar:soundSense.jar

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense

Started soundsense on my ubuntu succesfully

Ehm I cannot geti it to work...I've checked the ini and the sound is enebled, I've done all that was necessary with the java runtime (changed the path).

If I try to run the soundsense cmq I get this, repeated with all the others dir:

In-game I only hear the intro.

I've unpacked all (the mod plus the 90MB pack) in the main dwf directory, so I don't know where is the problem. :-\

Those "ignoring" messages are okay and normal - it just means, that there is no sound for that event yet (as we progress there should be less and less of them)

maybe clue is at end of log?

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2010, 11:23:52 am »

Uhm ok, at the end I have:

4/08/2010 06:19:41.992: Scanning directory './packs/weather/'.
24/08/2010 06:19:41.992: Loading config ./packs/weather/weather.xml
24/08/2010 06:19:41.994: Done loading ./packs/, loaded 175 items.
24/08/2010 06:19:41.994: Attempting to listen to ../gamelog.txt
24/08/2010 06:19:41.995: Exception :java.io.FileNotFoundException: ..\gamelog.tx
t (Impossibile trovare il file specificato): java.io.FileNotFoundException: ..\g
amelog.txt (Impossibile trovare il file specificato)
Microsoft Windows [Versione 6.1.7600]

Hope I will have it to work, I0d love to hear the music while playing :)

The message in italian is "impossible to find the spec file", as it is clear btw ^^

PS: I have the gamelog.txt in the main, as was in the mayday package.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2010, 11:51:17 am »

Uhm ok, at the end I have:

PS: I have the gamelog.txt in the main, as was in the mayday package.

is it arranged like this?

dwarffortressdir/soundsensedir/soundsense.bat

which should work out of box

or

dwarffrotressdir/soundsense.bat

which requires some fiddling?

in any case, you should fix this by editing configuration.xml and changing <gamelog    path="../gamelog.txt" /> to contain full path to your gamelog.txt

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »

The latter.
I'll try to modify the xml accordingly and edit here with the results, thanks for the fast answers ;)

EDIT: ok now it seems to work properly, the intro is different and although the fortress seemed silent for a bit too much once "winter is upon you" message spawned the relative track started :)

Good luck for the project, I cannot wait to listen to a full background music and effects all the time while playing :)
PS: this is my first fortress.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:19:29 pm by Gatallorsith »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:01 pm »

New release: 17

link: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_17_93.zip

new stuff:

first, if ss fails to open gamelog.txt, "open file" dialog will show and let you find it yourself, this should help with many, many issues people are having.

seccond: small window with volume slider is there. It even works!

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »

Okay, theese two commands

export CLASSPATH=./:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.4.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspi1.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/freetts-1.2/freetts.jar:soundSense.jar

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense

Started soundsense on my ubuntu succesfully

thank you. it's beautiful.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2010, 05:36:48 am »

New version of soundpack is uploaded: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip

It contains some more Rainseeker's comments relating to mandates, item attachment/naming among other, and some tweaks to spammy sounds.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2010, 08:05:58 am »

during a recent seige, soundsence created another spammy issue - there were so many combat sounds between so many different combantants i was just left with horrible clashy merging noise... possibly the timer idea could be extended for sounds that are the same between different entities (dont think i have worded that very well).
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 104