Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 553004 times)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1530 on: June 03, 2023, 11:46:59 am »

The dwarf filling in when the game opens is it loading sound/music files. It only loads those files, and no other sound files.

I have changed this in the SDL2 version, and as of that version, you can add new sound/music files.

OK, I just understood what Putnam was referring to, but what is he talking about "SDL2 version"?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see. Someone would have to create a mod for DF to runt he soundsense sound files. That would be amazing!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:52:30 am by Clatch »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 03, 2023, 12:35:02 pm »

*she

The SDL2 version of DF is an experimental branch that uses SDL version 2. DF has previously used SDL 1, which is very outdated at this point, so there is an effort to upgrade.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 04, 2023, 08:27:23 pm »

*she

The SDL2 version of DF is an experimental branch that uses SDL version 2. DF has previously used SDL 1, which is very outdated at this point, so there is an effort to upgrade.

Thanks! My applogies for the misplaced pronoun.  >:( I bought the Steam version today to see what you were discussing. Unfortunately, the proton version of the experimental branch doesn't run on Linux. :D

On a lighter note. I used FFmpeg to convert all the Ogg files to mp3. I'm having fun replacing old Soundsense files with the new mp3's for my 47.05.   8)  That doesn't sound good. Well, I bought the program. I figured I might as well have some fun.

For those of you with any interest in old-school stuff, I thought the following might be helpful. There's enough game there with 47.05 to keep me busy for the rest of my life. LOL! Programmers are like dwarfs. They don't live very long, anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:52:14 pm by Clatch »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 05, 2023, 01:06:50 am »

Thanks! My applogies for the misplaced pronoun.  >:( I bought the Steam version today to see what you were discussing. Unfortunately, the proton version of the experimental branch doesn't run on Linux. :D
Do you mean the experimental version doesn't run under proton on Linux? What error are you getting?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 05, 2023, 08:56:09 am »

Do you mean the experimental version doesn't run under proton on Linux? What error are you getting?

I checked all the files, errorlog.txt, stderr.txt and stdout.txt. Nothing there to see that says, this is why it's not running. If there's a place you'd like me to check out, let me know.

Even when launching the Steam app from command line, all the output seen is the initiation handshake. DF is started in another state. So there is no helpful output there either.

I decided to load it up with wine. It complained about a missing msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll. Once I copied that file into steamapps/common/Dwarf Fortress, it works fine. The loading is a lot smoother than the standard release. My screen doesn't flicker.

No joy launching it from steam the conventional way.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:57:54 am by Clatch »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 05, 2023, 03:24:35 pm »

FWIW, I've been running smoothly from the Steam client with Proton 7.0-6 on a Gentoo Linux system. I also run successfully under wine 5.0.1 in an Ubuntu VM on a Chromebook.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 06, 2023, 11:25:03 am »

FWIW, I've been running smoothly from the Steam client with Proton 7.0-6 on a Gentoo Linux system. I also run successfully under wine 5.0.1 in an Ubuntu VM on a Chromebook.

Thanks myk. I think you might be referring to the standard release. This was the experimental branch I was referring to.

I updated the XML files to use the sounds from DF 50. This repository doesn't include the sounds. The owner of the game will have to copy over the files.

https://github.com/bridgesense/soundsensepack

I plan on tweaking the music for more empty space between tracks.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 06, 2023, 11:46:01 am »

Sorry, I should have clarified. Both the regular and experimental branches work for me in both environments.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 06, 2023, 01:08:19 pm »

Sorry, I should have clarified. Both the regular and experimental branches work for me in both environments.

Thank you, Myk! Bumping my Porton version down from 8.0-2 to 7.0-6 fixed the issue. It comes up nicely now.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 07, 2023, 12:39:44 pm »

I've been wanting to play with this for a while. It needs more refinement, but it's a start.

The infinite looping music has been removed. Instead, just one random track gets played for each music event. The rest of the filler is weather background (white noise).

This setup works with the new sound files from DF 50.

https://github.com/bridgesense/soundsensepack

EDIT: Would be cool if the three bonus tracks were part of the DF 50 sound dist. The Hill Dwarf is amazing.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 04:36:54 pm by Clatch »

knainoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 13, 2023, 03:19:14 pm »

I really hate to ask but I'm not a great coder. Could someone explain Lethosor's fix in more detail? I tried the soundsense fix that Lethosor suggested for Steam DF, with DFHack, and it didn't seem to work. Do I need to write my own gamelog.txt file, or add a directory command (idk what it's actually called) in hack/scripts/devel/annc-monitor.lua? I really miss the "when a dwarf's got an idea" callout for strange moods lmao.

Edit: On Windows 10
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 03:25:36 pm by knainoa »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 13, 2023, 03:46:49 pm »

by "it didn't seem to work", was it that there was an error when you ran devel/annc-monitor after you made the edits?

knainoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 13, 2023, 04:04:35 pm »

Right, sorry. No error message, just no soundsense music/sound cues playing. Actively checked the gamelog.txt as I played and performed actions that used to be a sound cue, it also doesn't seem to be writing anything to that file other than game start and world gen.

Edit: Copy pasted the script as follows:

]]
end

function log(s, color)
    dfhack.color(color)
    print(dfhack.df2console(s))
    dfhack.color(COLOR_RESET)

local logfile = io.open('gamelog.txt', 'a')
    logfile:write(dfhack.df2utf(s) .. '\n')
    logfile:close()
end

local args = {...}
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 04:06:43 pm by knainoa »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 14, 2023, 01:39:14 am »

I really hate to ask but I'm not a great coder. Could someone explain Lethosor's fix in more detail? I tried the soundsense fix that Lethosor suggested for Steam DF, with DFHack, and it didn't seem to work. Do I need to write my own gamelog.txt file, or add a directory command (idk what it's actually called) in hack/scripts/devel/annc-monitor.lua? I really miss the "when a dwarf's got an idea" callout for strange moods lmao.

That file should be there. My problem was, that even after installing dfhack and making the script adjustments, the gamelog only displays startup information. So none of the intricate sound detail from soundsense fires except the loading screen. What I gathered from the conversation was that v50 will never output the same information the pre-50. We will need to wait for the next update with SDL2 and subsequent implementation of native sounds.

The repo I included earlier wasn't for 50. It plays some of the soundtrack from 50 in 47.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 01:47:05 am by Clatch »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 25, 2023, 05:54:05 pm »

I'm assuming you mean http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60287.msg8455126#msg8455126. The snippet you copied in your later post looks correct to me. Thanks for including the context.

Did you actually run the script? It looks like any of "enable devel/annc-monitor", "devel/annc-monitor enable" or "devel/annc-monitor start" will make it start logging to the file. (Use the same commands with "disable" or "stop" to make it stop.)

That file should be there. My problem was, that even after installing dfhack and making the script adjustments, the gamelog only displays startup information.
My script patch is intended to address exactly that - so see above.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104