Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104]

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 553020 times)

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1545 on: June 28, 2023, 03:29:23 pm »

it's time!! it's here!!! the music update is here!!! we can (theoretically) use sound sense again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: June 29, 2023, 11:36:43 am »

Did you actually run the script? It looks like any of "enable devel/annc-monitor", "devel/annc-monitor enable" or "devel/annc-monitor start" will make it start logging to the file. (Use the same commands with "disable" or "stop" to make it stop.)

That was the part I was missing. I'm not that used to delving that deep in dfhack, running custom commands and such.

One neat aspect of the new sound system is the fact that it has situational awareness. You can hear the river running as you move it into view. I also prefer how the pacing of the music is handled in the new system. It will be nice experimenting with playing the two systems together.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 11:49:36 am by Clatch »

dr33mz33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 03, 2023, 11:54:15 am »

so it is actually possible to bring back soundsense in the actual SDL2 implementation of the game?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 03, 2023, 02:08:31 pm »

so it is actually possible to bring back soundsense in the actual SDL2 implementation of the game?
SDL2 doesn't affect the gamelog at all. As far as I know, the gamelog messages haven't been reinstated yet, but SDL2 doesn't make that easier or harder.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 03, 2023, 02:09:49 pm »

According to what Putnam has said recently, I think SoundSense might be able to be integrated into DF as a standard mod.

https://github.com/Putnam3145/dwarf-fortress-example-sound-mod

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: July 06, 2023, 05:11:54 am »

Yes, except for a mild, harmless bug that causes the game to emit an errorlog when generating a new world for sound mods (should be fixed in 50.10), adding new sounds is fully supported by the SDL2 version and thus soundsense should generally be doable as an in-game mod. The sound loading might leave a bit to be desired, gonna have to look over that again, but it should work.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 06, 2023, 04:14:17 pm »

Yes, except for a mild, harmless bug that causes the game to emit an errorlog when generating a new world for sound mods (should be fixed in 50.10), adding new sounds is fully supported by the SDL2 version and thus soundsense should generally be doable as an in-game mod. The sound loading might leave a bit to be desired, gonna have to look over that again, but it should work.

I never got it work, even after making the suggested changes in the script.

This is all that outputted to my gamelog.txt file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the function in my annc-monitor.lua
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If ran ... devel/annc-monitor start ... from within dfhack's console, but nothing different is added to the gamelog. Any ideas?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: July 06, 2023, 04:17:01 pm »

No, no, it'd have to be reimplemented as a mod, using the new raw format.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 06, 2023, 05:56:04 pm »

If ran ... devel/annc-monitor start ... from within dfhack's console, but nothing different is added to the gamelog. Any ideas?
That should work... Putnam's suggestion is for how the Soundsense authors could reimplement Soundsense as a mod.

Are announcements getting printed to the DFHack console if you pull it up? Or are there any errors? Your log() implementation there should print to both the console and gamelog.txt.

Try running the script after the world is loaded and see if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 05:58:54 pm by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: July 06, 2023, 06:51:48 pm »

Try running the script after the world is loaded and see if that makes a difference.

Sure... but, here's a newbie question. How do I bring up the in-game console to see a readout? Where am I looking?

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: July 06, 2023, 09:27:05 pm »

My bad. It works. So awesome!  I'd suggest just turning off music and weather on soundsense-rs and run the sounds together with the DF 50 system. :)

Does Dfhack have any startup configuration abilities?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:12:58 pm by Clatch »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: July 07, 2023, 09:49:45 am »

Sure... but, here's a newbie question. How do I bring up the in-game console to see a readout? Where am I looking?
By "DFHack console" I actually meant the out-of-game console, i.e. the separate console window, which you can bring up with "show" if it's not visible. I only asked because the devel/annc-monitor script is also supposed to print to the standalone console, and error messages typically also get printed there, so it would be a good place to check for issues. It's not required to run the script from there for it to function.

My bad. It works. So awesome!  I'd suggest just turning off music and weather on soundsense-rs and run the sounds together with the DF 50 system. :)

Does Dfhack have any startup configuration abilities?
Was it working the whole time or did you change something?

DFHack has lots of startup configuration abilities. You can configure commands to run on startup, whenever a world is loaded, when a specific world is loaded, and more. https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/Core.html#configuration-files

There are also ways to do some of this in the DFHack launcher ("gui/launcher").

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: July 07, 2023, 03:50:37 pm »

Was it working the whole time or did you change something?
Honestly, think it was just my impatience on activating the plugin during a time when there weren't any announcements. I've had a fort I've been tooling around with in 47.05 and wanted to get back to it.  ;D

DFHack has lots of startup configuration abilities. You can configure commands to run on startup, whenever a world is loaded, when a specific world is loaded, and more. https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/Core.html#configuration-files

The link was super helpful. Thank you!

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 18, 2023, 05:09:49 pm »

No, no, it'd have to be reimplemented as a mod, using the new raw format.

I know it probably sounds funny, but I kind of miss the old "Winter is here" etc.. ;)

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 18, 2023, 09:10:21 pm »

And "A dwarf's got an idea!"
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104]