Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 553088 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2010, 01:28:08 am »

zwei, I made some modifications to soundSense.sh that make it work on OS X. Save it as soundSense.command so that Mac users can double-click on it to launch. It might also fix the problems that vlademir1 was having.

This version:
  • includes the proper interpreter directive to identify the file as a script (#!/bin/sh)
  • changes the working directory to the directory the script is in (allowing double-clicking on the file in OS X, and probably also running it from other directories from the shell)
  • and has soundSense.jar at the beginning of the classpath, rather than the end (this makes it work on my machine for some reason)

Ah, thanks, ill include that in next version.

I tried all this, no help.  At least it seems to help you on Mac, which I give big props for being BSD based despite my feelings on the companies business model and practices (which really have no place on these forums  :-X)

It complains about lacking one of libraries (which definitelly should be included). Somehow, stuff that is in lib directory is ignored.

You could try changing lib to ./lib to make sure it is looking in correct directory.

Your java might use different separator for classpath (in windows, it is separated by ";", in unixes it should be ':', you could try replacing :s with ;s).

You could also run it directly as

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp soundSense.jar:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.4.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspi1.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/freetts-1.2/freetts.jar cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense

(yeah, it is one long line)

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2010, 02:45:02 am »

got it working...  I'm just an idiot.
when I extracted the archive I did so to it's own folder then copied it wholesale to the DF folder.  For whatever reason it didn't copy the lib folder inside that folder, and once I put it in there it started right up by repeating that last command.  *sighs*
thank you for all the help...  I'll be passing realfeedback/asking questions within the next couple hours...  assuming this doesn't just make me want graphics now too :D

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2010, 04:37:48 am »

I'm seeing a lot of lines like "Exception with ./packs/seasons/winter2.mp3: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: unable to obtain a line: unable to obtain a line".  It seems to happen whenever DF dumps 3+ messages all at once, and stops any sound from playing until I close and restart Soundsense (the above started when a calf grew to a bull, winter started and I struck magnetite all at once as an example. before that it was dog grew up, merchants arrived and snowstorm and the snowstorm and merchant sounds gave the "unable to obtain line")

This is all prolly related to the combat sound spam crash.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2010, 05:17:40 am »

I just noticed yesterday that during heavy spam (such as combat sparring), the application will "freeze up" and utilize 100% on all of my 4 (8) cores. Then all of a sudden a MASSIVE spam of sounds come and immediately after that, the application crashes. It feels like the sounds from the combat spam are getting caught up in a bottleneck somewhere and then released as a flood, crashing the app.

(Do note I am not a programmer, so this is just a guess)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:38:17 am by Moonshine Fox »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2010, 06:51:51 am »

I just noticed yesterday that during heavy spam (such as combat sparring), the application will "freeze up" and utilize 100% on all of my 4 (8) cores. Then all of a sudden a MASSIVE spam of sounds come and immediately after that, the application crashes. It feels like the sounds from the combat spam are getting caught up in a bottleneck somewhere and then released as a flood, crashing the app.

Yeah, basically, compression is issue: they are all mp3s, so it takes few seconds on busy cpus to uncompress beginings so that they can start playing. Result is freeze as 100 sounds compete on cpu to decompress themselves and buffer few seconds of playback, but once they all suceed, they can feed data to mixer and crash that x.x ... sigh.

I'm seeing a lot of lines like "Exception with ./packs/seasons/winter2.mp3: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: unable to obtain a line: unable to obtain a line".  It seems to happen whenever DF dumps 3+ messages all at once, and stops any sound from playing until I close and restart Soundsense (the above started when a calf grew to a bull, winter started and I struck magnetite all at once as an example. before that it was dog grew up, merchants arrived and snowstorm and the snowstorm and merchant sounds gave the "unable to obtain line")

That is something different, it seems to be caused by pulse audio/OpenJDK: You could try to install Sun java and see if that helps.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2010, 08:39:13 am »

Updates:

* release 18 or SS: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_18_95.zip

- small fixes, added achievement tool (achievement.cmd) that awards ... achievements. So far, only to log, but that can change. Sample of output:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can edit achievements.xml to add new ones.

* updates soundpack was also released: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip

- combat sounds were severely limited and well as cancelation spam, vomiting should hopefully happen much less often and looping of caravan sounds should be thing of the past.

- also, volume of everything was normalized with help of MP3 gain http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

This should hopefully result in much better experience and less spam.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2010, 09:50:44 am »

Haha, that's great. I was just going to include Soundsense in Genesis 3.12 with additional sounds for Genesis critters, and you make a new version just about time when I plan to release 3.12. Thank you very much :3.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2010, 12:36:49 pm »

Ah, this sounds great. Thanks for fixing these things, a one step more towards perfection!

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2010, 08:42:26 am »

New release sounds like it's made of win. Will download and run once I get home. I had to remove the "combat" folder to get rid of the combat spam, and didn't crash once. So it's definately the combat spam that kills the app.

Also, I have noticed Soundsense lagging behind sometimes during spam. If you have a lot of sparring or combat spam, and then go into "designate" and for instance "Mining (d)" and then just click and hold your mouse button pushed in DF, messages will spam by in a flood in the log window. Release the mouse button and they stop, click again and sounds will spam until the app has caught up with the gamelog.

Could this be a reason for the crashes? (DO not that this very behaviour is present even when the actual combat sounds have been removed.)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2010, 05:58:06 am »

Also, I have noticed Soundsense lagging behind sometimes during spam. If you have a lot of sparring or combat spam, and then go into "designate" and for instance "Mining (d)" and then just click and hold your mouse button pushed in DF, messages will spam by in a flood in the log window. Release the mouse button and they stop, click again and sounds will spam until the app has caught up with the gamelog.

Could this be a reason for the crashes? (DO not that this very behaviour is present even when the actual combat sounds have been removed.)

Hmm, it it is a lot of messages and at worst case (message not matching anything in ss) it iterates over 100+ or so regular expresions. If they do not match anything and come fast enough, they can overwhelm log parser and it starts to fall behind.

Especially if you have high fps fort. for 200 fps fort, combat is resolved practially instantly and produce hundreds of messages.

Combat messages are first to be tested thou so they ought to be optimalized enough so that this does not happen during combat.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:20 am »

SoundSense
This reminds me...

That is something different, it seems to be caused by pulse audio/OpenJDK: You could try to install Sun java and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply... I'll try that if weeding down sounds to just the  seasonal BGM changes I want SS for doesn't work.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2010, 05:47:55 am »

New version of soundpack was released: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip

New feature are anouncements on begining of seasons (Rainseeker recruited his sister to do this, cheers and thanks!)

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »

Been playing with this the last few days.  This is just awesome.  It really changes the DF experience.  Great work!
Life is short, live it.

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »

We in the SoundSense mod are looking for folks who have access to medieval weaponry and the means to record high quality audio.

We are looking to replace all our current combat sounds - which consist of swooshes, hacks and clangs - with something better. Our current sounds are open source placeholders, and we think can be improved upon!

There is where you ,the dwarf fortress medievalist, comes in. We have a list of sounds that we need help acquiring - we are calling on you to record combat related sounds, swords clashing, armor being hit, the clink of chainmail.

If interested please reach us by replying to this thread or by emailing me at krause@krauselabs.net
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2010, 03:41:46 am »

We are still looking for people who will contribute combat sounds.

Just FYI: Development is continuing, mostly small improvements that will help with debugging, some gui work and kind of state-detection for huge amount of events (lets see how that works out, but much desired tantrum-spiral music seems doable), nothing releasable right now, but stay tuned.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 104