Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 553065 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2010, 01:20:10 am »

This looks interesting, gonna check it out.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2010, 05:34:48 pm »

Posting to follow, boost post count, and to bump.

As well as to say that you've done a bloody well top-ho job here, chaps!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2010, 11:31:25 pm »

Decided to give it a go... instant favorite. The musical selections are very fitting and it REALLY helps to have an audio cue with mandates. Very well done.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2010, 01:18:08 am »

Glad you enjoy it - anything you could think for us to improve upon?
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2010, 03:21:03 am »

Well, the sparring sounds are fairly constant if you've got more than 1 squad going. Maybe those could be toned down a little in volume or not played as often. Also, and this may be unavoidable, I started winamp by accident, and it caused seasonal music to = null. Music wouldn't restart again until a season change. So, a matter of preference and accidental bug.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2010, 06:43:14 am »

I continue saying, this mod is excellent.

I'm only wondering how the current system handles playing seasional music. I remember that in first versions I tried there were looping problems, e.g. one track played until new season/event changed it.

Previous version tend to play track two times in a row and then it changed to another. This might be caused by randomness? Although, the sound when you start the game (Radakan - Moldan Chase over (success)) plays two times as well...

In newest one (18), I usually only hear one seasonal track and then its silent. I havent played the DF too much lately (I have to fix this lack of progress asap :)) to confirm if this is a random feature.
---

When it comes to combat sounds, I wonder if it's really worth the effort to gather many kind of combat sounds. No offend, I dont mean that I dont appreciate your effort, it's just one thing bugs me a bit... the main idea is that battles tend to be quite fast, and when you hear the sound of sword swinging, there have been multiple strikes and hits in real time. It might depend on framerate, how big fortress your computer can handle and such.

I do like the combat sounds you have created, but I dont think it should be the main priority. Just my two cents here.

Darkmere mentioned about tuning down combat sounds in training, that could be a nice idea - although I dont know if you can alter those sounds which spesifically belong to combat in training - what I understand it just plays normal combat sounds, which are caused by hits, blocks and misses, and you cant define if those sounds are caused by training or actual battle.

Weather effects are nice, but could there be a more "tracks" for e.g. rain? Now it's the same storm, and even it's nice as its for now, there are some odd sounds I cant define.

Some nice raining sounds I found from youtube; you may already know this stuff and I dont know if you want "direct" sound suggestions, but this is just to give an example what I meant.
Rain & storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6O3QbCViRs&feature=fvw
Snow storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXSQ9fsVWxc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11TVwdwZa0&feature=related (sounds like a some kind of snowstorm...)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:50:38 am by Kuikka »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:14 am »

Well, the sparring sounds are fairly constant if you've got more than 1 squad going. Maybe those could be toned down a little in volume or not played as often. Also, and this may be unavoidable, I started winamp by accident, and it caused seasonal music to = null. Music wouldn't restart again until a season change. So, a matter of preference and accidental bug.

Sparring is detectable if dwarves are "lightly tapping", but there is still sound smog if they dodge and do other similar stuff.

As for bug - can you help me out to figure this out? I actually run winamp in paralel to soundsense often, so it would be great if you managed to reproduce what happened to you and give some more info because i am baffled. It could be some weird conincidence thou ...

In newest one (18), I usually only hear one seasonal track and then its silent. I havent played the DF too much lately (I have to fix this lack of progress asap :)) to confirm if this is a random feature.
---

When it comes to combat sounds, I wonder if it's really worth the effort to gather many kind of combat sounds. No offend, I dont mean that I dont appreciate your effort, it's just one thing bugs me a bit... the main idea is that battles tend to be quite fast, and when you hear the sound of sword swinging, there have been multiple strikes and hits in real time. It might depend on framerate, how big fortress your computer can handle and such.

I do like the combat sounds you have created, but I dont think it should be the main priority. Just my two cents here.

Darkmere mentioned about tuning down combat sounds in training, that could be a nice idea - although I dont know if you can alter those sounds which spesifically belong to combat in training - what I understand it just plays normal combat sounds, which are caused by hits, blocks and misses, and you cant define if those sounds are caused by training or actual battle.

Weather effects are nice, but could there be a more "tracks" for e.g. rain? Now it's the same storm, and even it's nice as its for now, there are some odd sounds I cant define.

Some nice raining sounds I found from youtube; you may already know this stuff and I dont know if you want "direct" sound suggestions, but this is just to give an example what I meant.
Rain & storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6O3QbCViRs&feature=fvw
Snow storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXSQ9fsVWxc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11TVwdwZa0&feature=related (sounds like a some kind of snowstorm...)

I do not recall seasonal music dropping, but it could be issue similar to what Darkmere reported, i shall investigate.

Combat sound is not really top priority, but it is something we think really needs rework because it is a bit crude and cartoony.

As for weather - i'll take a look at those videos and see what can be used. And of course, if you know about good track/sfx/anything, we are taking suggestions :).

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2010, 11:17:31 pm »

I can't make the winamp problem happen again. However, it does seem that when the game starts, one seasonal track will play and will not loop. The first season change after loading will begin seasonal track looping regularly.

I assume I happened to start winamp right as the "loading seasonal song" finished playing, and since it didn't loop, I assumed winamp was the culprit.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2010, 06:15:29 am »

Nice mod I can't see myself playing without it but does it support .wav files? I added a sound for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but when I discovered it, the sound didn't play.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2010, 07:59:26 am »

Nice mod I can't see myself playing without it but does it support .wav files? I added a sound for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but when I discovered it, the sound didn't play.

.wav files are supported (check out sample.xml and DummyWAV event), but sometimes stuff that is called wav is some proprietary format (i.e. stuff from games build on infinity engine.) and of course there is possiblity of bug - maybe something interesting appeared in log?.

I can't make the winamp problem happen again. However, it does seem that when the game starts, one seasonal track will play and will not loop. The first season change after loading will begin seasonal track looping regularly.

I assume I happened to start winamp right as the "loading seasonal song" finished playing, and since it didn't loop, I assumed winamp was the culprit.

Oh, yeah, loading screen event missed loop="start" which is fixed for next version of soundpack.

I also (hopefully, finally) squashed bug of repeating into clip.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2010, 01:29:55 pm »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:50 am »

Downloading, this is one of those mods that should be added to vanilla DF.

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »

I second that, it has to be added to the Vanilla version! Excellent work! Kudos!
Loving life every second

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:03 am »

Oh, nearly forgot to report here about state detection:

Generally, It sucks.

By the time i can say with confidence that event is happening, it is too late to react to it. (i.e. Tantrum Spiral is over) otherwise I get too much false positives (say, two soldiers losts pets and want to blow some steam, but they quickly calm down.).

It is also very FPS-sensitive (same sequence of events can trigger "event happening" in high fps fort, but not in low fps one).

And it gets all mangled even more when player pauses game.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2010, 05:55:35 am »

I think some things are just pretty much impossible, at least until you somehow manage to get information directly from memory instead of the logs.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 104